PDA

View Full Version : sector not found

drcspy
27-12-2004, 12:26 PM
heres an odd one.......windows ME... drive wont boot past windoze splash screen. Tried repair install part of which involves getting to c:/windows and renaming win.com win.old . Used dos win98 boot disk to do this get error 'sector not found reading drive c:' ......tried just dir command reads quite a lot of the windows folder then comes up with same message. Ran Maxtor, (thats the drive type) FULL scan on drive from boot disk all good even disk surface scan. Ran norton system works . All good. However and interestingly the drive had on it about 3500 tmp files written into the c:/windows folder. From every which way but dos this drive seems ok but it wont boot and dos tells me 'sector not found' *** is goin on ?

drcspy
27-12-2004, 02:33 PM
bump..............anyone got any ideas ?

Davesdad
27-12-2004, 02:59 PM
can you boot into safe mode

drb1
27-12-2004, 04:39 PM
heres an odd one.......windows ME... drive wont boot past windoze splash screen. Tried repair install part of which involves getting to c:/windows and renaming win.com win.old . Used dos win98 boot disk to do this get error 'sector not found reading drive c:' ......tried just dir command reads quite a lot of the windows folder then comes up with same message. Ran Maxtor, (thats the drive type) FULL scan on drive from boot disk all good even disk surface scan. Ran norton system works . All good. However and interestingly the drive had on it about 3500 tmp files written into the c:/windows folder. From every which way but dos this drive seems ok but it wont boot and dos tells me 'sector not found' *** is goin on ?

There are/is malware that does this.

If nortons can acess the drive copy all data, get something like maxtor back track.

Boot in to dos use backtrack to zero the drive reparttiton formatt reinstall.

WAIT FOR A WHILE

And see if any more advice comes first, as if this turns to custard your HDD will become a paper weight.

PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK.

it sounds as though part of the boot sector is not being read there is a fix MBR (Master boot record) for some M/S O/S I am not sure if there is one for M.E.

This may also resolve the issue.

D.

drcspy
27-12-2004, 06:14 PM
ok heres the news............I forgot to mention that I imaged the drive to another, new, drive and it ran perfectly...........so I doubt its a MBR problem .........and it cant be a FAT problem ..............SO..........what's that leave..........thinkin I may do a low level format of that drive.........

drcspy
27-12-2004, 06:20 PM
why does the original pass all drive makers diagnostic tests but gives a 'cant read sector' error when I even try to 'dir' windows folder.........well it'll show perhaps 2/3 of windows directory, scroll it up on the dos screen then it stops with that error.......oh btw......that drive is now plugged onto a totally different system as I left the newly imaged new drive in the original machine......so it cant be any other hardware such as ide cabling or whatever..........

drb1
27-12-2004, 07:04 PM
why does the original pass all drive makers diagnostic tests but gives a 'cant read sector' error when I even try to 'dir' windows folder.........well it'll show perhaps 2/3 of windows directory, scroll it up on the dos screen then it stops with that error.......oh btw......that drive is now plugged onto a totally different system as I left the newly imaged new drive in the original machine......so it cant be any other hardware such as ide cabling or whatever..........

Probably file sys error, unless its a major issue as it immaged, fdisk the old one immage it back and see what it does.

Or if you really want an answer, persevere, scan disk it including a full surface scan from dos and see what it finds.

D.

drcspy
27-12-2004, 07:42 PM
done that and it passed surface scan with flying colors

drb1
27-12-2004, 07:47 PM
done that and it passed surface scan with flying colors

Little turd things like this can really annoy at times.

At these times, FDISK, BACTRAK, are my friend's.

D.

drcspy
27-12-2004, 07:49 PM
waste of time fdisking and fdisk/mbr.............in haveing imaged this drive onto aonther one the new one with the copied image started perfectly well............anyway to answer your question............fdisk reported perfectly normall result as I expected and fdisk/mbr did nothing at all for the problem.............it's NOT an mbr prob if it was the image woulnd't work either............

think I'll low level format it and see what eventuates..........sure is an interesting one.........