PDA

View Full Version : I've got Dell/XP issue

Toddg4444
27-12-2004, 12:12 PM
My dell computer has stopped booting up. It no longer boots from the hard drive and the bios does not recognize a newer cd burner cd rom drive I installed so it is unable to boot from the CD. I is able to boot from the floppy. I want to reformat the computer and I have an XP Pro disc. What should I do now?

drcspy
27-12-2004, 12:28 PM
firstly unplug the cd drive and set the bios to defaults then see if it boots

Edward
27-12-2004, 12:45 PM
tried making an XP boot floppy? www.bootdisk.com

PcNut
27-12-2004, 01:40 PM
Sounds like you have not installed the CD Drive properly
Check the jumper on the CD Drive to ensure it is set as slave if on IDE 1 (same cable as Hard drive)
Or as Master on IDE 2 (The other cable)
Make sure you haven't dislodged the data & power cables to the Hard drive when you were fitting the new CD Rom.
Is the Hard drive detected during post?

hamstar
27-12-2004, 08:29 PM
Tis your own fault for buying a dell...

rofl :D

/me pokes at proprietryism

Jen
27-12-2004, 08:32 PM
Tis your own fault for buying a dell...

roflWell you can keep those sorts of helpful replies to yourself next time hamster. That comment was rather unnecessary.

Baldy
27-12-2004, 08:52 PM
Quite right Jen.

Next, new-comers will be starting to think that Press F1 is elitest.

Baldy
27-12-2004, 08:55 PM
[QUOTE=hamstar]Tis your own fault for buying a dell...

rofl :D
Actually Hamster, I will lay a bet that the majority of niggly computer problems are with home built computers. :-P

Jen
27-12-2004, 09:01 PM
My comments to hamster was not an invitation for others to join in on them ...

Let's keep this thread on topic please.

drb1
27-12-2004, 09:42 PM
My dell computer has stopped booting up. It no longer boots from the hard drive and the bios does not recognize a newer cd burner cd rom drive I installed so it is unable to boot from the CD. I is able to boot from the floppy. I want to reformat the computer and I have an XP Pro disc. What should I do now?

You havent specified what model dell.

Unless you stole it from a museum, put C/d on ide 2 as master.

Enter bios (normally f2 on most of these)

Turn on auto drive detection ide 2

Save changes

Re-enter bios on re boot check drive detected, go to boot order (Slightly lower down normally) Make order floppy/cd/hdd turn off PXE if it is an option.

Re-boot, if it still ******* around repost with details of machine bios ect.

This is not normally an issue with these as long as the bios is set up correctly.

IMHE.

D.

Edit,

You better post model and PSU model any way just in-case youre digging another hole for your self in this.

Q.

Toddg4444
28-12-2004, 03:31 PM
The Dell is a Dimension L733r. The computer had been working fine with XP Pro installed for a number of months. The machine had also been working for over a year with the newer CD Burner installed. I tried unplugging and replugging the CD Burner and this did not work. In Bios I have set it up to boot from the CD ROM primarily, then the floppy drive, and then the hard drive. I tried a few combination of the CD ROM, Floppy, and the Hard Drive. An interesting thing i noticed was that the bios listed the original name of the CD Rom Drive instead of my newer Phillips burner. This never was an issue in the past, it is something I noticed when I had to reformat months ago. I have tried using a boot disk and either the one I have gotten off Bootdisk.com isnt working or my computer has completely crapped the bed. The computer is no longer booting from the hard drive anymore. Any suggestions barring tossing the computer off a cliff would be welcomed and greatly appreciated. Thanks Todd.

Speedy Gonzales
28-12-2004, 04:02 PM
So, how many cdrom's are in the case? the burner and a cd, or just a cd burner? If a cd and cd burner are BOTH on ide 2 as master/slave?? Not set as cable select??

And is the hdd on IDE 1 by itself or do u have 2 hard drives??

I would go back into the BIOS. See if the BIOS is detecting whats on IDE 1 and IDE 2 properly.

Toddg4444
28-12-2004, 04:30 PM
So, how many cdrom's are in the case? .
One CD Rom and it is set as the master

drb1
29-12-2004, 01:05 AM
One CD Rom and it is set as the master

DELL with a head ache.

DIsconnect all ide deirves clear comos with jumper and buy removing battery.

Do floppy boot. install devices 1 at a time and make sure they are jumpered correctly see what happens.

Remember to reset bios and boot order each time.

D.

george12
29-12-2004, 01:26 AM
OK, here is the simplest way to avoid so many questions needing to be asked.

List all four devices as detected in the BIOS for us. As in:

Primary Master = Hard drive
Primary Slave = None
Sec Master = CD-ROM
Sec Slave = None

Is that what the BIOS detects? Regardless of this, make sure all four in the BIOS are set to 'Auto'. This will make everything much easier.

If the hard drive IS detected by the BIOS, then it is a software issue. But I think changing all to auto and ensuring that both HDD and CD are on physically a different cable should do it.

Hth Cheers George