PDA

View Full Version : Linux - FC3 - sound card detection

personthingy
26-12-2004, 10:47 PM
Hello peoples...
I have a new distribution in my flaptop computer
Gone is SuSE and Mandrake 10

I have FC3, so i have the audio programs i want, and a cute little external optical mousy mouse that works, rather than being forced to use the trackpad. Unfortunatly i have no sound.

I have a deadline to get this machine running and recording for my business partner to use on Wednesday.

The paper that comes with the ECS Notebook TM5800 describes the sound as:

AC-Link interface, complies with AC97 rev 2.1 Two built in high quality speakers with chamber, interanal microphone.

It lies, the speakers are real sad!

The auto detection program defines the soundcard as:

Corperation M5451 PCI AC-Link Controller audio device Module snd-ali5451

and offers me the chance to play test sound. It then asks me if i heard it, i say no,

¨Automatic detection of the sound card did not work. Audio will not be available on the system. Please click OK to continue.¨

I press ok, the program closes.

OK. i HAVE to do this....
The sound must be tried and tested by Wednesday arvo when my partner loads up for Blackball. We are expected to record the NewYears event we are supplying PA and liting for.

Where do i start?

:confused:

Chilling_Silence
26-12-2004, 11:11 PM
Try running:
alsaconf
as root
that'll detect the card.

Then run:
alsamixer
unmute the card with "M" on the keyboard

alsactl store #0
^^That'll save the default volumes :-)

personthingy
27-12-2004, 11:52 AM
Try running:
alsaconf
as root
that'll detect the card.

Then run:
alsamixer
unmute the card with "M" on the keyboard

alsactl store #0
^^That'll save the default volumes :-)

[root@flaptop ~]# alsaconf
-bash: alsaconf: command not found
[root@flaptop ~]# alsamixer

[root@flaptop ~]# alsactl store #0
[root@flaptop ~]#

alsamixer reports the follwing sound card detected:

? Card: ALI 5451 ?
? Chip: C-Media Electronics CMI9739 ?
? Item: Master

Chill, there was a RPM link you sent me on ICQ last night. Could you either e-mail it to me or post it here?

personthingy
27-12-2004, 03:48 PM
3 clues, or perhaps distractions :p

I ran Knoppix live. Flaptop said Initiating start up sequence, played the test sound when i used xsoundcardconfig and even said somthing about shutting down when i shut down.

According to knoppix i am running with
Acer Laboratories [Ali] m5451 PCI Southbridge audio

Under fedora:
[root@flaptop ~]# xsoundcardconfig
-bash: xsoundcardconfig: command not found

When booting up in fedora, i get to the bit that says:
initializing hardware storage network audio done [OK]
------------and the machine makes a sharp desturbing chirp.

Thats the closest it comes to having sound.

I expected to have files like /dev/sound but cannot find anything in the obvious places

waimang
27-12-2004, 04:01 PM
:o
Hi Chris . I am compelled to suggest that you get rid of Mandrake 10. As far as I,m concerned ( I use and work with 8 different flavours of Linux) Mandrake 10 is total crap for anyone other than a computer geek. There is so much that needs to be fixed in Mandrake 10 compared to 9.1 that Joe public is better off with out it.
Just my view from experience.
Cheers Tim.

Jen
27-12-2004, 04:05 PM
Try this to see if you get sound out of the speakers:
cat /dev/urandom > /dev/dsp (use CTRL-C to stop it)

Did you unmute the sound using alsamixer? Also make sure the other channels/lines are not muted. You could always run aumix as root as well to fiddle the levels.

It looks like your sound card has been detected correctly since both Knoppix and Fedora refer to it as the same module.

Fedora Core 3 (and 2) has a cute trick (not!!) of having the sound muted by default, and you need to unmute it as root. You can retest it by running system-config-soundcard

[root@flaptop ~]# alsaconf
-bash: alsaconf: command not foundThat is normal, alsaconf is not a recognised command :p

personthingy
27-12-2004, 04:54 PM
Try this to see if you get sound out of the speakers:
cat /dev/urandom > /dev/dsp (use CTRL-C to stop it)
Dead as a dead thing. Shell just seems to freeze till i type CTRL-C

Did you unmute the sound using alsamixer? Also make sure the other channels/lines are not muted.
Im not sure if it was muted, but it claims not to be now.

You could always run aumix as root as well to fiddle the levels.
The only inhibiting setting i could see there was spkr at zero, not that it made any difference when i knocked it back up!

It looks like your sound card has been detected correctly since both Knoppix and Fedora refer to it as the same module.

Fedora Core 3 (and 2) has a cute trick (not!!) of having the sound muted by default, and you need to unmute it as root. You can retest it by running system-config-soundcard
A picture paints a thousand words:
http://www.millerton.co.nz/images/pix/sound1.png
http://www.millerton.co.nz/images/pix/sound2.png
------- No!
http://www.millerton.co.nz/images/pix/sound3.png

That is normal, alsaconf is not a recognised command :p
Thats reassuring!
:D

Jen
27-12-2004, 05:05 PM
A picture paints a thousand words:
http://www.millerton.co.nz/images/pix/sound1.png
http://www.millerton.co.nz/images/pix/sound2.png
------- No!
http://www.millerton.co.nz/images/pix/sound3.png
Hmm ... well it gives that message when you do have sound as well if you click on NO - it is an automated response to clicking NO. :p

Sooo .... it looks like your sound volumes are fine and not muted. What does lsmod show for the loaded snd modules? Can you see snd_ali5451 loaded?

personthingy
27-12-2004, 05:07 PM
:o
Hi Chris . I am compelled to suggest that you get rid of Mandrake 10. As far as I,m concerned ( I use and work with 8 different flavours of Linux) Mandrake 10 is total crap for anyone other than a computer geek. There is so much that needs to be fixed in Mandrake 10 compared to 9.1 that Joe public is better off with out it.
Just my view from experience.
Cheers Tim.

I agree with you, and even more so with SuSE 9.2
This is why i am now running with fedora, and apart from the sound issue, there are no serious complaints from me.

personthingy
27-12-2004, 05:14 PM
Sooo .... it looks like your sound volumes are fine and not muted. What does lsmod show for the loaded snd modules? Can you see snd_ali5451 loaded?
All looks good to me, not that i know what might be wrong:p
snd_ali5451 26249 2
snd_ac97_codec 64401 1 snd_ali5451
snd_pcm_oss 47609 0
snd_mixer_oss 17217 1 snd_pcm_oss
snd_pcm 97993 3 snd_ali5451,snd_pcm_oss
snd_timer 29765 1 snd_pcm
snd 54053 9 snd_ali5451,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_o ss,snd_pcm,snd_timer
soundcore 9889 1 snd
snd_page_alloc 9673 1 snd_pcm

Jen
27-12-2004, 10:26 PM
snd_page_alloc 9673 1 snd_pcmHmm ... that is the only odd looking line AFAIK. It should also have on it your soundcard chip ID.

Mine says:
snd_page_alloc 9673 2 snd_intel8x0,snd_pcm

I suggest you also try asking here http://www.fedoraforum.org/ as that is a specific Fedora forum and you might get this sorted faster that way :)

Although someone else might have some further suggestions?

personthingy
28-12-2004, 07:55 AM
Hmm ... that is the only odd looking line AFAIK. It should also have on it your soundcard chip ID.

Mine says:
snd_page_alloc 9673 2 snd_intel8x0,snd_pcm

I suggest you also try asking here http://www.fedoraforum.org/ as that is a specific Fedora forum and you might get this sorted faster that way :)

Although someone else might have some further suggestions?
because i dont really know what i'm looking for, here's the unedited output of lsmod

[root@flaptop ~]# lsmod
Module Size Used by
parport_pc 24705 1
lp 11565 0
parport 41737 2 parport_pc,lp
autofs4 24005 0
i2c_dev 10433 0
i2c_core 22081 1 i2c_dev
sunrpc 160421 1
ipt_REJECT 6465 1
ipt_state 1857 3
ip_conntrack 40693 1 ipt_state
iptable_filter 2753 1
ip_tables 16193 3 ipt_REJECT,ipt_state,iptable_filter
reiserfs 244245 1
dm_mod 54741 0
button 6481 0
battery 8517 0
ac 4805 0
md5 4033 1
ipv6 232577 10
joydev 8705 0
ohci_hcd 22225 0
ehci_hcd 31557 0
snd_ali5451 26249 2
snd_pcm_oss 47609 0
snd 54053 9 snd_ali5451,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_o ss,snd_pcm,snd_timer
soundcore 9889 1 snd
8139too 26305 0
mii 4673 1 8139too
ext3 116809 1
jbd 74969 1 ext3
[root@flaptop ~]#

Once i've woken up i'll go to the URL you suggested Jen

l16384
28-12-2004, 02:56 PM
I am working on the same problem with the same sound device with the same symptom on the same distro. I'll post here if I learn anything.
Larry

l16384
28-12-2004, 05:02 PM
OK. I think I have solved it. I am just pleased as I can be. Here is the procedure that worked for me.
alsactl -f temp store

This dumps all the control settings to the file temp.

Then edit temp with your favorite editor. go to the last control parameter which says something like External amplifier. In my file, this was set to true. I changed this to false.
After saving the modified file:
alsactl -f temp restore.

And then sound worked. Fantastic.

Best regards,
Larry

Chilling_Silence
28-12-2004, 07:14 PM
now try:
alsactl store #0
It'll permanently save the volumes :-)

Chill.

personthingy
28-12-2004, 10:56 PM
OK. I think I have solved it. I am just pleased as I can be. Here is the procedure that worked for me.
alsactl -f temp store

This dumps all the control settings to the file temp.

Then edit temp with your favorite editor. go to the last control parameter which says something like External amplifier. In my file, this was set to true. I changed this to false.
After saving the modified file:
alsactl -f temp restore.

And then sound worked. Fantastic.

Best regards,
Larry

Thankyou Larry
I logged in as root, while i was there i noticed that i could update the system, so i told it to get and install all possable updates... 3 hours later im finally following your advice, and have set the value for "control 43"
name 'External Amplifier'
value false

The result of all this?????

I have a slicker system with more icons yet to be expored,
but alas NO SOUND

l16384
29-12-2004, 04:25 AM
I now feel a little silly because I notice that there is a check box in the GUI volume control for external amplifier that has the same effect as alsactl. I'm sorry this didn't work for you.
Although my PCM sound now works, I can't play CDs. So I'm still working on it. If I find anything else useful, I'll let you know.
Larry

personthingy
29-12-2004, 07:02 AM
I now feel a little silly because I notice that there is a check box in the GUI volume control for external amplifier that has the same effect as alsactl. I'm sorry this didn't work for you.
If I find anything else useful, I'll let you know.
Larry

Hey Thanks Larry,
Any clues can and will, if nothing else, help to eliminate the possible causes of the problem. I noticed the "external amplifier" button in the "switches" section of Kmix as well, but only after you had drawn attention to the "external amplifier" function.

Tis good to see someone register as a full member just to help another

trrailblazerr
29-12-2004, 12:35 PM
Hi,

I just installed FC3 as well, got the sound to play during install but nothing in Gnome. Got the same results for soundcard detection as well (i.e. found, but no sound).

This is how I got mine to work - I ran kmix and under the input tab, I increased the DAC volume (and checked that it was not muted)

That worked for me :)

Hope this helps
Jawahar

personthingy
02-01-2005, 07:36 AM
Hi,

This is how I got mine to work - I ran kmix and under the input tab, I increased the DAC volume (and checked that it was not muted)

Hope this helps
Jawahar
Thanks for the idea Jawahar, but alas, still no sound

I'm quite convinced now that the problems not that its muted or anything at all like that, but that something is tying it up. This is a kind of instinctive, rather than strictly logical conclusion. Where i think its being tied up is right at the initiation of hardware process. I refer to point 2. that i posted above:

"When booting up in fedora, i get to the bit that says:
------------and the machine makes a sharp disturbing chirp.
That's the closest it comes to having sound."

This just aint right!

I ask that someone running fedora may tell me what, if any, sounds are made to celebrate the initiation of "audio".

OK.. im clutching at straws here, but its the best lead i got
:@@:

Chilling_Silence
02-01-2005, 07:56 AM
Try:
killall -9 artsd
killall -9 arts

Chill.

personthingy
02-01-2005, 08:42 AM
Try:
killall -9 artsd
killall -9 arts

Chill.

[hippy@flaptop ~]$ killall -9 artsd
[hippy@flaptop ~]$ killall -9 arts
arts: no process killed

Hmmmmm, Does the lack of complaint from the first command mean that it did or didn't kill something?
I have to go, so i shall follow through later on this one!

Jen
02-01-2005, 05:21 PM
"When booting up in fedora, i get to the bit that says:
------------and the machine makes a sharp disturbing chirp.
That's the closest it comes to having sound."

This just aint right!

I ask that someone running fedora may tell me what, if any, sounds are made to celebrate the initiation of "audio".Fedora shouldn't make any noise during bootup, mine certainly doesn't.

Have you had a look at the boot logs? Run system-logviewer and have a nosey at the logs after you have just booted the machine for anything about audio. Also enter in a terminal window dmesg after booting and look for any clues.

personthingy
06-01-2005, 02:18 PM
Fedora shouldn't make any noise during bootup, mine certainly doesn't.

Have you had a look at the boot logs? Run system-logviewer and have a nosey at the logs after you have just booted the machine for anything about audio. Also enter in a terminal window dmesg after booting and look for any clues.Something seems missing here, there is nothing at all about audio in the morning boot up!

Jan 6 06:25:01 flaptop syslog: syslogd startup succeeded
Jan 6 06:25:01 flaptop syslog: klogd startup succeeded
Jan 6 06:25:02 flaptop irqbalance: irqbalance startup succeeded
Jan 6 06:25:02 flaptop portmap: portmap startup succeeded
Jan 6 06:25:03 flaptop nfslock: rpc.statd startup succeeded
Jan 6 06:25:01 flaptop network: Bringing up interface eth0: succeeded
Jan 6 06:25:04 flaptop rpcidmapd: rpc.idmapd startup succeeded
Jan 6 06:25:05 flaptop netfs: Mounting other filesystems: succeeded
Jan 6 06:25:05 flaptop rc: Starting lm_sensors: succeeded
Jan 6 06:25:05 flaptop autofs: automount startup succeeded
Jan 6 06:25:07 flaptop mDNSResponder: startup succeeded
Jan 6 06:25:08 flaptop smartd: smartd startup succeeded
Jan 6 06:25:08 flaptop acpid: acpid startup succeeded
Jan 6 06:25:14 flaptop cups: cupsd startup succeeded
Jan 6 06:25:14 flaptop sshd: succeeded
Jan 6 06:25:15 flaptop xinetd: xinetd startup succeeded
Jan 6 06:25:23 flaptop ntpd: succeeded
Jan 6 06:25:24 flaptop ntpd: ntpd startup succeeded
Jan 6 06:25:26 flaptop sendmail: sendmail startup succeeded
Jan 6 06:25:26 flaptop sendmail: sm-client startup succeeded
Jan 6 06:25:27 flaptop gpm: gpm startup succeeded
Jan 6 06:25:27 flaptop crond: crond startup succeeded
Jan 6 06:25:29 flaptop xfs: xfs startup succeeded
Jan 6 06:25:29 flaptop anacron: anacron startup succeeded
Jan 6 06:25:29 flaptop atd: atd startup succeeded
Jan 6 06:25:29 flaptop readahead: Starting background readahead:
Jan 6 06:25:29 flaptop rc: Starting readahead: succeeded
Jan 6 06:25:31 flaptop messagebus: messagebus startup succeeded
Jan 6 06:25:31 flaptop cups-config-daemon: cups-config-daemon startup succeeded
Jan 6 06:25:32 flaptop haldaemon: haldaemon startup succeeded

jadams1
18-01-2005, 05:42 AM
The fix for me was in Kmix but under output - I set every output switch to Max and got sound . I then turned off the mixers untill I found the first Via DX5 switch (show 4) and set this to Max - sound works.

personthingy
18-01-2005, 07:31 AM
The fix for me was in Kmix but under output - I set every output switch to Max and got sound . I then turned off the mixers until I found the first Via DX5 switch (show 4) and set this to Max - sound works.I've just checked Kmix and its all full, as i thought it was. It seems i can turn everything up all i like, no-ones home in the sound dept, simple as that.

I haven't fully given up yet, but i've even given online access to someone far more clued up than me who hasn't been able to get a peep out of the thing either. I am sure that the problem is far far deeper than the fedora "feature" of setting up sound that is switched off by default.

As a part solution i have another computer that can play MP3s and so forth for me at home. For the intended purpose of using flaptop for recording the live performances of those we work with, i have given up. However my business partner has just bought a rather nice dirt cheap mac that we will be lugging around as needed instead. I got to love obsolescence!

I suspect that the problem will go away when/if the nice people at Redhat produce FC4 without the sound issues FC2, and FC3 have had for some users.

personthingy
18-01-2005, 10:09 AM
Total fluke:
A couple of days ago i let yum do its thing, and this morning i rebooted. With a new updated "*_FC3" kernel, i found i had lost the external mouse. My comments were not something i would quote, so i rebooted, and selected the previous kernel. OK, so i got the mouse back, AND for the first time i ever on FC3 it didn't Chirp fataly when booting up. What i have got is error messages, thus no mixer, and no sound

My error message on logging in as a user reads thus:
Sound server informational message
Error while initializing the sound driver
device /dev/dsp can't be opened (no such file or directory)
The sound server will continue, using the null output device

I_I Do not show this message again

OK

The icon for sound control has a wopping great red X over it, and informs me on mouseover that "mixer cannot be found"

I have a gut feeling that with a little guided tweaking there may be sound again!

Chilling_Silence
18-01-2005, 12:54 PM
What does alsamixer show now??
Do this as root:
echo /dev/urandom > /dev/dsp

Chill.

personthingy
18-01-2005, 01:45 PM
What does alsamixer show now??
Do this as root:
echo /dev/urandom > /dev/dsp

Chill.[root@flaptop ~]# alsamixer

alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such file or directory
[root@flaptop ~]# echo /dev/urandom > /dev/dsp
[root@flaptop ~]#

i'm not surprised that "echo /dev/urandom > /dev/dsp" did nothing though, given that /dev/dsp doesn't exist!

personthingy
18-01-2005, 02:04 PM
lsmod tells me that sound is now the following :

soundcore 9889 0

before it was:

snd_ali5451 26249 2
snd_pcm_oss 47609 0
soundcore 9889 1 snd

It would appear that flaptop has simply given up trying to have sound. This has to be a good thing as its often easier to rebuild than repair, or, if that cant be done, i think its better not to waste the resources on something that just won't work under FC3!

Chilling_Silence
20-01-2005, 10:08 AM
Just thought I'd post an update... we seem to be getting somewhere :-)

That and I wanted to bump this thread up because Im referring to it quite a bit ;)

Chilling_Silence
20-01-2005, 02:46 PM
Okay... We've been making some progress.

He's now on a custom compiled kernel that Ive built with no worries...
Just rebuilt with the OSS modules:
[root@flaptop linux]# make.config
CHK include/linux/version.h
SPLIT include/linux/autoconf.h -> include/config/*
make[1]: `arch/i386/kernel/asm-offsets.s' is up to date.
CHK include/asm-i386/asm_offsets.h
CHK include/linux/compile.h
CC [M] sound/oss/ali5455.o
CC [M] sound/oss/ac97_codec.o
Kernel: arch/i386/boot/bzImage is ready
Building modules, stage 2.
MODPOST
CC sound/oss/ac97_codec.mod.o
LD [M] sound/oss/ac97_codec.ko
CC sound/oss/ali5455.mod.o
LD [M] sound/oss/ali5455.ko

make modules_install and modprobe them fine.
Still nothing in /dev

[root@flaptop ~]# cd /dev/
[root@flaptop dev]# ls -laR ds* soun*
ls: ds*: No such file or directory
ls: soun*: No such file or directory

Heres whats on my PC:
SuperNova dev # cd /dev
SuperNova dev # ls -laR ds* soun*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Jan 20 2005 dsp -> sound/dsp
crw------- 1 josiah root 14, 19 Jul 18 2004 dsp1
crw------- 1 josiah root 14, 35 Jul 18 2004 dsp2
crw------- 1 josiah root 14, 51 Jul 18 2004 dsp3

sound:
total 0
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 0 Nov 21 12:14 .
drwxr-xr-x 23 root root 0 Jan 20 10:07 ..
crw------- 1 josiah root 14, 12 Nov 21 12:14 adsp
crw------- 1 josiah root 14, 4 Nov 21 12:14 audio
crw------- 1 josiah root 14, 3 Nov 21 12:14 dsp
crw------- 1 josiah root 14, 0 Nov 21 12:14 mixer
crw------- 1 josiah root 14, 1 Nov 21 12:14 sequencer
crw------- 1 josiah root 14, 8 Nov 21 12:14 sequencer2

Any ideas where to from here?

Jen
20-01-2005, 08:59 PM
Still nothing in /dev

[root@flaptop ~]# cd /dev/
[root@flaptop dev]# ls -laR ds* soun*
ls: ds*: No such file or directory

Any ideas where to from here?Hmm ... not sure if this is helpful, but here are my /dev sound listings on a working Fedora Core 3 box (with onboard sound) which may give some clues ...

[root@myth dev]# ls -laR ds* soun*
crw------- 1 jennifer root 14, 3 Jan 19 09:06 dsp

[root@myth dev]
crw-rw---- 1 root root 14, 12 Jan 19 09:06 adsp
crw------- 1 jennifer root 14, 4 Jan 19 09:06 audio
crw------- 1 jennifer root 14, 0 Jan 19 09:06 mixer

[root@myth dev]# ls -laR snd
snd:
total 0
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 200 Jan 19 09:06 .
drwxr-xr-x 9 root root 7080 Jan 19 17:33 ..
crw------- 1 jennifer root 116, 0 Jan 19 09:06 controlC0
crw------- 1 jennifer root 116, 24 Jan 19 09:06 pcmC0D0c
crw------- 1 jennifer root 116, 16 Jan 19 09:06 pcmC0D0p
crw------- 1 jennifer root 116, 25 Jan 19 09:06 pcmC0D1c
crw------- 1 jennifer root 116, 26 Jan 19 09:06 pcmC0D2c
crw------- 1 jennifer root 116, 27 Jan 19 09:06 pcmC0D3c
crw------- 1 jennifer root 116, 20 Jan 19 09:06 pcmC0D4p
crw------- 1 jennifer root 116, 33 Jan 19 09:06 timer

Chilling_Silence
21-01-2005, 01:12 AM
We're making progress.

Ive got an ogg file I re-encoded here and grabbed from my http site
ogg123 plays it to alsa AND oss without complaint but it appears as thou no sound still.

To get /dev entries I had to modprobe snd-pcm-oss which is OSS legacy devices for ALSA.
ALSA appears to be setup fine however :)

Question is... what next.... they play but no output is heard still :(

I tried in #fedora on freenode but they were of little help.

Chill.

personthingy
21-01-2005, 08:28 AM
There is one change in the way flaptop boots up, and yes its that disturbing fatal sounding chirp the machine makes

Before the custom kernel was installed, when booting up in fedora, i got to the bit that says:
------------and the machine made a sharp desturbing chirp at "audio".

Now i have the same noize, but one line before. The line says something like "starting udev"
Sorry if this is not 100% accurate description, but i have no pen & paper unless i get out of bed, which aint happening till at least 09:00.

Is there anyway of checking to see if that noize is the result of the total takeover of sound by some clever but utterly pointless idea initiated by default at FC3 bootup?

allen_panther
01-07-2005, 08:28 PM
There's a simpler way... you'll notice in alsamixer that even though you adjust the level of <PC Speak> ( the PC speakers ), it still shows as [Off]. Hit the CAPITAL M twice in succession to turn the speakers on ( <shift>M, <shift>M ).

-Allen

personthingy
02-07-2005, 04:20 AM
Seeing this thread had resurfaced, i may as well write the conclusion.

Not long after my last post i gave up.

Chill made some fine remote efforts but sadly allthough the operations appeared to be a success, the patient was quite dead.
No sound could be heard.
A live distro would bring sound back to life, but as soon as i went back to running FC3 it was as if the speakers had been disconnected. Nada.

I will not get to test the "M,M" command suggested by allen_panther, as i have switched to MEPIS, and all hardware compatability issues have now gone.

Its quite possible that FC4 has got this bug sorted. Again i will never know as i am not going to install a new OS on my one machine for the sake of an expererment.

Thankyou to all who helped in the various attempts to sort this problem.

Sam I Am
02-07-2005, 01:46 PM
Its quite possible that FC4 has got this bug sorted. Again i will never know as i am not going to install a new OS on my one machine for the sake of an expererment.

And you call your self a linux user :D

Graham L
02-07-2005, 03:14 PM
That's the sort of user to be encouraged.

He's a Linux user. He wants his computer to work. Why install a new OS now he's got a working system?

I'm a Linux user too. I've been using it for more than 10 years. I tried loading FC3 on the last box I installed. It didn't. I installed Mandrake. I'm not prepared to waste time on a "New Improved Better User Fiendly" if it doesn't, for non-obvious reasons, work for me Life is too short..