PDA

View Full Version : No longer can access my hotmail. Why?

MMM
26-12-2004, 07:24 PM
On WinXP SP2/ Outlook/ Avant Browser + IE

Up until last week I could sign in with my .NET Passport and access my email. The hotmail address and password are accepted. A page then comes up - by14fd dot bay14 dot homail.msn.com etc but it is blank - zilch.

I would go into MSN Messenger and somehow could get my email through them by signing in using the .NET Passport. As it no longer worked I ditched MSN Messenger and tried getting my emails through Trillian which tells me I have 1 email waiting to be picked up. When I click on to the email icon the above page comes up and nothing happens.

Simply put, how on earth do I get my hotmail messages without MSN Messenger. What do Internet Cafes use? Is there a webpage I can go to?

What security and privacy settings do I alter or is that not the problem?
No rush for replies, enjoy your Xmas, just finished a huge plate of raspberries, icecream and icing sugar, still got a smile on my dial :D :D
Cheers.

zqwerty
26-12-2004, 08:33 PM
Try this:

http://login.passport.net/uilogin.srf?id=10

ninja
26-12-2004, 10:09 PM
I'd say it's hotmail. We've had lots of people complaining they can't access Hotmail with Firefox at the moment.

Maybe they're clamping down on other browsers.

drb1
26-12-2004, 10:44 PM
I'd say it's hotmail. We've had lots of people complaining they can't access Hotmail with Firefox at the moment.

Maybe they're clamping down on other browsers.

I must disagre on a professional not personall level as I am not having any issues with f/f and H/Mail nor are the 4 units I just did Malware updates and scans on.

Although It would not supprise me in the least If H/M started to apply M/S policys to other brousers.

After all. Visiting M/S with a linux box shows how pathetic they can be.

D.

beama
26-12-2004, 11:05 PM
Blocking firefox also, just tried then switched to Ie no problems
Shall I fire up the linux box with Opera on it :rolleyes: :)

drb1
26-12-2004, 11:09 PM
Blocking firefox also, just tried then switched to Ie no problems
Shall I fire up the linux box with Opera on it :rolleyes: :)

Yes,

Lets see if it isp related because still no f/fox issue here.

D.

Ash M
26-12-2004, 11:18 PM
Well, I can tell you that yes it is an ISP issue. It has something to do with the caching on the ISP side as far as I know (I'll ask our Sysadmin when I'm in next exactly what caused it).

It effected us (Quicksilver) plus Maxnet, and a few others that I know of).

Best way around it we found is to force proxy connections.

To do this in Internet Explorer do the following

Tools -> Internet Options -> Advanced -> HTTP 1.1 Settings -> Untick Use HTTP 1.1 & Tick Use HTTP 1.1 Through Proxy connections -> Restart Browser (I'd advice PC as well, but thats not really necessary.

I haven't heard of anyone unable to access it through Firefox though, but I'll look into it tommorow and post back.

MMM
27-12-2004, 02:08 AM
Thanks for all the replies.
Was interested to hear it might be the ISP. Having a really slow time at the moment on Dial up with Quicksilver off and on, rang them today and they've credited me a month's payment. They have been really good to me whenever I've had a problem. Can't fault them service wise at all! :thumbs:

Ash M - you're a little beauty :thumbs: :D :thumbs:
Your suggestion about using HTTP 1.1 through proxy worked a treat.
Avant Browser didn't come up with the screen but IE did.

Email was a notification about a reply re: a virus that paid me a visit when I did a really dumb thing!
Lesson: When a Macromedia flash dialog box comes up to say you need flash or shockwave or whatever it is, look very hard at it. Esp. if the wording on it seems very cramped. I thought it looked different, but went ahead and clicked on it, then once it started downloading, something made me change my mind and tried to stop the download which it grimly held on to. Next minute Avast's loud warning siren started up about this virus and recommended moving it to the virus chest to avoid it getting into my system. Very impressed so far with that program! Also collected a lot other rubbish and had my first experience with hijackthis and Mcafee stinger. Good stuff.

Anyway thanks to you all again. It's great having you around :D

Ash M
27-12-2004, 08:43 AM
Thanks for all the replies.
rang them today and they've credited me a month's payment.
AD

That must have been me :)

Prescott
27-12-2004, 08:44 AM
its always great when its a ISP problem and not yours :)

Ash M
27-12-2004, 08:59 AM
its always great when its a ISP problem and not yours :)

Not if you are the ISP

Big John
27-12-2004, 10:31 AM
On WinXP SP2/ Outlook/ Avant Browser + IE

Up until last week I could sign in with my .NET Passport and access my email. The hotmail address and password are accepted. A page then comes up - by14fd dot bay14 dot homail.msn.com etc but it is blank - zilch.

Cheers.
Have you changed setup in your browser or firewall lately?

I suddenly found that I could not access Hotmail either and then found that I had turned off accepting cookies from msn.com. Once I turned this back on it worked fine. There was no message about needing cookies but you need then alright.

MMM
27-12-2004, 01:39 PM
That must have been me :)

Hi Ashley, when you mentioned Quicksilver I wondered if it might be the same person. Appreciated the way you explained about being rural [15 miles south of ChCh] and how the exchange would affect me. Good to see you on the forum. Cheers :)