PDA

View Full Version : Disk Repairer

Dannz
26-12-2004, 09:58 AM
I was wondering if anyone had any information about a Disk Repairer at http://www.dse.co.nz/cgibin/dse.storefront/41cdd3ab0d109b32273fc0a87f99073d/Product/View/C7128

I am looking for info on how well it works

John Grieve
26-12-2004, 10:55 AM
I work for a company that does disk repair for the bulk of the video stores. We tested one of these a while ago. It is fine for small scratches and scuffing but cannot restore a fairly badly scratched disc.

I would not recommend it but as it is the only thing in its price range it may be alright if you just make sure you do the discs as soon as they start gathering small scratches and scuff marks. It never managed to fix heavy scratches though (and probably was never designed to do so!).

Prescott
26-12-2004, 12:46 PM
im getting an error 404 for that site thewhiz

Poppa John
26-12-2004, 04:22 PM
John Grieve. Just as a matter of interest, what is done to a disc to "Repair" it? How is the Data put back on?? Thanks. PJ

Jen
26-12-2004, 04:23 PM
im getting an error 404 for that site thewhizThat is normal for session based URL copied from DSE. They only stay valid for a short period of time. To view that item, you just need to search for product number C7128. An easier way of posting DSE URL's here is to click the "email page link" found under Product Detail, and then copy and paste the supplied URL that your email client then displays. :)

Example:
http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/en/product/C7128

John Grieve
26-12-2004, 06:00 PM
Poppa John. The data is near the top of the disc. It lies between the reflective surface you see and the clear face of the disc on the play side. So the data is closest to the top label side of the disc, If a disc is damaged on the label side bad enough it will damage the data layer and the disc is totally unfixable in any way. The same would hold true if a scratch on the play side was deep enough to reach all the way to the data (the disc would be unfixable). It is very very rare that a scratch on the play side is deep enough to reach the data layer. If the actual data layer is damaged then the disc is dead virtually and unusable/unfixable (i.e. if the data itself is damaged the disc is dead). The "repair" done when repairing a disc is just grinding/polishing the scratches/marks out of the clear side so the laser can read the data properly through the layer of clear plastic that covers it.

The job I do cannot repair a damaged data layer. I just make the discs optically clear for the laser again by grinding up to 10 microns off it usually. Heavy scratches that are deep might be 15 - 25 microns deep so I grind them a couple of times to remove those scratches.

Prescott
26-12-2004, 06:01 PM
dont you have to become a member to email the link?

i see what it is now, that must take all the scratches out, might be ok

Poppa John
26-12-2004, 06:13 PM
JG Thanks for that. Seems I am still not too old to learn. Ta again. PJ

Pato
26-12-2004, 07:44 PM
JG. Most interesting. I also have learned something. Thanks.