PDA

View Full Version : CD/DVD-capable inkjet printers revisited.

braindead
25-12-2004, 12:20 PM
Do you use one of these printers to do on-CD/DVD printing? Care to share which model you recommend, how you like it and the results it produces?

Are the printed results waterproof? IOW, if someone with wet hands picks up the media, will the printed surface remain stable. If the inks are not waterproof, is there a surface treatment that will make it so.

Also, what's your advice on replacement inks, when the originals in the printer run out.

PS: I don't want one of these $2000plus printers - that's beyond my reach.

So many questions but any suggestions and tips appreciated! :)

Thanks ~ John

Speedy Gonzales
26-12-2004, 03:34 PM
Well theres the Epson r210 at Dick smith for about $300 and the r310 for nearly $400. I would say they would dry pretty quickly. You also need the right cd/dvd's to print onto.

Or the canon i865 printer for $238 from DSE.

I havent got any of these printers, but seen the r210 on a dvd. Its just as good as the original.

drb1
26-12-2004, 04:04 PM
You also need the right cd/dvd's to print onto.

From memory was not the cost of the media the "Catch 22" With these units??

D.

sam m
26-12-2004, 05:49 PM
I have the R310 which I see is still around the $400 when I purchased about 9 or so months ago.

In hindsight the R210 would have been a better buy as the only difference between them is the ability to print direct from cards on the R310.

Ink is always a costly exercise with printers and with 6 cartridges @ $25 each it is not cheap. I do question the software that monitors the ink levels. It wont print if 1 of the 6 is empty. The others looked ok but after I changed the empty one, immediately after (without printing anything) the next 2 then became 'empty'??. I had bought all 6 so dont listen to the sales blurb that it works out cheaper because you only have to change 1!!

Make sure that you use genuine paper as well if printing special projects as it does make a difference.

The software that comes with the printer makes printing to CD/DVD a breeze. That coupled with a photoshop type software means you can produce some good images on your discs.

Printable discs are not a problem price wise. I only purchase Princo DVD printables (any one here that sells them interested in a bulk sale?) and last time I purchased them they cost $38 for 50. I have used some cheaper brands and even though the printing surface is actually better than Princo I have had problems burning to them.

Despite the cost of ink and how it is monitored I do love this printer as the overall quality (truly photolike) of the prints is very impressive.

:thumbs:

olldaddy78
26-12-2004, 06:06 PM
I have the R210 and this is the first printer where I have been able to print C D's for GrandChildren. There are special C D's you can get which are blank on the opposite face to data and you have the choice of either from a special program or any clipart you have kept in your computer meandering.....Text is in the program also..... Note EPSON 210.......I have been raised to the exalted position of being a Grandfather elite.....and believe it I LIKE THAT......Note it is also for D V D but so far I have not sourced a similar blank D V D... :stare:

olldaddy78
26-12-2004, 06:25 PM
I note you mention paying $25 per cartridge but R210 Cartidges may be bought for $20.40 + G S T from the site consumables.co.nz with free postage depending on how much you buy....Happy days Healthy days....to you...

braindead
27-12-2004, 02:11 PM
Thanks for all the replies folks.

One of the main problems with CD/DVD printing, apart from rip-off ink prices, appears to be colour fastness, water resistance and ink drying.

There's a heap of info here: VideoHelp Media (http://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=27&sid=a184bb0869a3d4a327dcc31258bee9a3)

My general impression from reading is that the R200/210 series Epson printers are crap, although many still use them and make them work. Some are even hot-modded for a permanent ink supply and look like something out of intensive care :)

Apparently it's possible to overspray the dry inkjetted CD/DVD to waterproof it but so far I've not had any luck locating suitable spray products in NZ.

Meantime, I'm still looking.

sam m
27-12-2004, 03:18 PM
I suppose the question begs "Do you expect it to get wet?" I have yet to test to see if the media I have printed is water resistant at best but struggle to find a situation where that could happen in it's normal use.
If someone were to touch them with wet hands then I would expect them to dry their hands before touching, that aint hard.

It sounds like that you are after a commercial type print on a cheap printer. The Epson I use is for the amateur who wants images with text on his media instead of handwritten words (and my handwriting sucks :blush: ). Commercial printers cost $1000's (friend was offered one for $10,000) that could do 100's of cd/dvd prints at a time.

Oldaddy78 >Are these genuine cartridges? Might save a few dollars next time round if they are. Thanks for tip