PDA

View Full Version : Real Player

Cicero
23-12-2004, 08:44 PM
Are there those amongst us who use the professional versions of these apps such as the above.
I only use the freebies and wonder if I am missing anything.

Jen
23-12-2004, 09:10 PM
You will find varying opinions on Real Player. Rather than missing something with Real Player, it is known for its *extra* spyware content and the way it gets its hooks into your system. I believe the program Real Alternative provides a more friendly, spyware free application that does the same job.

Cicero
23-12-2004, 09:39 PM
[QUOTE=Jen]You will find varying opinions on Real Player. Rather than missing something with Real Player, it is known for its *extra* spyware content and the way it gets its hooks into your system. I believe the program Real Alternative provides a more friendly, spyware free application that does the same job.[/QUOTE
The problem there is that some programs require realplayer to play the videos,or so I have found!!

zqwerty
23-12-2004, 10:32 PM
Clean version of RealPlayer is available from the BBC, and it is cleaner:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/audiohelp_install.shtml

This has been spoken about a number of times on various forums on the web and I also know that some sort of deal was made between the BBC and the Realplayer people to do this. That said, you will find that Real Player is still capable of making itself the default player for almost every type of file so don't allow it to do this and just use it to play .rm files.

Cicero
23-12-2004, 10:57 PM
Clean version of RealPlayer is available from the BBC, and it is cleaner:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/audiohelp_install.shtml

This has been spoken about a number of times on various forums on the web and I also know that some sort of deal was made between the BBC and the Realplayer people to do this. That said, you will find that Real Player is still capable of making itself the default player for almost every type of file so don't allow it to do this and just use it to play .rm files.

One appreciates your input,and have taken advice,the question was,have you tried pro versions of apps and are they better.

zqwerty
23-12-2004, 11:15 PM
Don't really know but in some cases you cannot save whatever you have created, in others some writing appears on the final version saying that it is a version that has not been paid for yet, or in others you just can't use some features. Sometimes you can use the program with all its features for one month or whatever time and then it reduces to a crippled version until you buy it. Uninstalling and reinstalling a new version mostly does not give you another chance as there are all sorts of clever ways of telling a newly installed version whether the same program has been installed on the computer before.