PDA

View Full Version : For Bill T

Cicero
23-12-2004, 08:36 AM
Mr. Smith and Mr. Jones have begun a business, and want to put up a sign over their shop...Smith and Jones. When the sign was painted, they went outside to have a look at it. Smith said "There should be a bigger gap between Smith and and and and and Jones."

And used 5 times.Sent to me by a chap that loves this sort of thing!Thought you may too.

Dally
23-12-2004, 08:56 AM
In an english exercise the question was where to use "had" or "had had" as the correct tense.
One student had had, "had had". "Had had" was the correct answer.
Slightly contrived but a use of 6 hads

Winston001
23-12-2004, 09:41 AM
An example Dally of the past pluperfect tense I think.

Miami Steve
23-12-2004, 10:04 AM
In an english exercise the question was where to use "had" or "had had" as the correct tense.
One student had had, "had had". "Had had" was the correct answer.
Slightly contrived but a use of 6 hads
It can be done with 11 "hads".

If John wrote in his exam, for an answer "HAD" and James wrote for the same answer "HAD HAD" and James was correct, punctuate this sentence.

JAMES THOUGH JOHN HAD HAD HAD HAD HAD HAD HAD HAD HAD HAD HAD THE EXAMINERS APROVAL

becomes

James, while John had had "had", had had "had had"; "had had" had had a better effect on the teacher. :thumbs:

Dally
23-12-2004, 10:15 AM
Nice one MS(not microsoft). I had had that example in mind but had forgotten most of it.

A teacher was telling the English class that two negatives made a positive as in, " I cannot not get a new computer" but told them two positives can never make a negative and a voice from the back said, "Yeah right"

xxll
23-12-2004, 08:23 PM
Nice one MS(not microsoft). I had had that example in mind but had forgotten most of it.

A teacher was telling the English class that two negatives made a positive as in, " I cannot not get a new computer" but told them two positives can never make a negative and a voice from the back said, "Yeah right"

Good one Dally. :thumbs:

Here is a copy of an answer to the fish and chips one that was posted on the Press F1 forum in 2002. (Godfather asked the original question about a sentence with 5 ands in a row.)

Here is one of the replies.

Wouldn't the sentence "I want to put a hyphen between the words Fish and And and And and Chips in my Fish-And-Chips sign" have been clearer if quotation marks had been placed before Fish, and between Fish and and, and and and And, and And and and, and and and And, and And and and, and and and Chips, as well as after Chips?

There are 21 ands in a row. It takes a bit of thinking to make sense of it, but it does work. Concentrate on the Ands with capital A's to sort it out in your mind.

Dally
23-12-2004, 09:52 PM
Well done xxll tha's brilliant

Baldy
23-12-2004, 10:04 PM
Well done xxll tha's brilliant

Only geeks would find this interesting

Dally
23-12-2004, 10:22 PM
What do you find interesting Baldy - Your own navel perhaps

Billy T
23-12-2004, 10:34 PM
I love 'em all, they are right up my alley.:nerd:

I have an ongoing love affair with words and language even though I never really had formal training in english :blush: so I tend to rely on instinct rather than knowledge to assess what sounds or looks right and what is wrong.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :@@:

Baldy
24-12-2004, 07:44 AM

See Dally, thats the thing about words. You obviously took mine out of context. I wasn't dissing the subject ~ perhaps I am a Geek too. You know, you have to be one to read this forum.

But Merry Xmas, Perhaps Santa will still bring you something even tho you are a tad on the Grumpy side two days out from Xmas

personthingy
24-12-2004, 09:03 AM

What could be more exciting than naval gazing? Admittedly it is much more exciting if its someone else's naval..
We can see if its an inny or an outy, admire any jewelery there may be, or check for lint.
The joys are endless!

:D

Dally
24-12-2004, 11:12 AM
Sorry Baldy. I can now see a different meaning to your post. I wasn't being grumpy as I really enjoy having a go back at anyone I perceive to being negative, wrongly in this case. My apologies and have a great Christmas and New Year.

pheonix
24-12-2004, 02:35 PM
From a readers Digest article that quoted...

English has not found a word it didn't like.

Say's a lot when you look at the origins of our words. Maybe it should be one of you gentlemans signatures.