PDA

View Full Version : What an Idiot!!!

TideMan
22-12-2004, 07:34 PM
Did you see in the news about the medical researcher who had all her meningococcal research on a laptop that she left in the car. The laptop + cellphone got stolen and now she's desperate to get her research back.

Can you imagine anyone so stupid as to have no back-up? :(
Especially, using a laptop.
How would she have fared if she'd dropped it?
I dropped a laptop once and it was kaput, busted, and stuffed.

I can't imagine any serious researcher being so crazy as to not have their IP protected by a simple backup. She deserves no sympathy :groan: :groan:

Edward
22-12-2004, 07:45 PM
that's just what i was thinking O_O

even i have backups of my utterly useless backups. so you'd think that a government would backup important documents, off a laptop

Sue
22-12-2004, 07:51 PM
That's a rotten way to learn that up to date back ups are important.
She has my sympathy, the theiving little #### need locking away.

Winston001
22-12-2004, 08:21 PM
Quite right Sue. The fault in this case is with the thief.

As to making backups - there are knowledgable people here who forget. Its not unusual.

The problem is that there isn't any simple way of doing backups. By that I mean a remote copy of whatever is new on your computer second by second. Certainly this is possible to do, but few know about online backups. And you have to be online or on a network.

Until it becomes an automatic and really simple feature, people will continue to lose information.

They have my sympathy because there but for the grace of God go I.

drb1
22-12-2004, 08:26 PM
That's a rotten way to learn that up to date back ups are important.
She has my sympathy, the theiving little #### need locking away.

Sympathy becausae she gott ripped, sure.

As gear has become slightly more reliable we have a group of users whom do not even know how to restore from Backup. This is not good.

This woman is the victim of poor instilled practice. as well as theft.

let this be a lesson to all.

D.

Metla
22-12-2004, 08:38 PM
Well,If shes in someones employ i would hope she gets fired,All that work is now wasted due to her slack habits.

Ignorance is not an excuse,If your entrusted to look after your own data then by god you should do it.

bob_doe_nz
22-12-2004, 08:58 PM
thats Manukau city for you, lock it or lose it.

And before I get flamed, I AM from manukau

Cicero
22-12-2004, 09:27 PM
So you go into your house,you forget to lock the door,a thug walks in after you,smacks you over the head and it your fault for not locking the door.
This sort of reasoning completely defeats me.

Metla
22-12-2004, 09:30 PM
Its not the theft of the laptop its the loss of the data.

Easily avoidable.

Would it be diifferent if it was a vocation where lives were at stake rather then data?

Slackness is not something to be endorsed.

TonyF
22-12-2004, 09:53 PM
Easily avoidable indeed, so I just made a cd of essential changing stuff, as I do every week or so.

T

Cicero
22-12-2004, 10:10 PM
The fact remains,that even if she had made it difficult by locking it in a safe and somebody had broken into the safe the primary fault is with the thief.
We are guilty of this at sometime

Winston001
22-12-2004, 10:19 PM
Whats this Tom??? Breaking into safes now? :@@:

Growly
22-12-2004, 11:02 PM
It's all well and good to give her no sympathy, and criticise her for not having backups - but you must keep in mind that not everyone in this world who does important thins is extremely computer literate. I think it's naive to expect everyone to have a backup of their files, because this world is not perfect even though it should be.

Infact I haven't even heard of the story, but based purely on reactions I can tell you now that there have been or will be times that you wish you'd made your own backups.

What if she found the cure for cancer? Would you be sad, angry, or sympathetic? Sad for a common good, angry for a selfish existence, and sympathetic for a bit of both?

Lohsing
23-12-2004, 12:00 AM
The fact remains,that even if she had made it difficult by locking it in a safe and somebody had broken into the safe the primary fault is with the thief.
We are guilty of this at sometime

Sure - but you completely ignore the fact that she didn't back it up. And in any case, losing it from a locked safe is more forgiveable than losing it through lack of care.

Lo.

Murray P
23-12-2004, 12:42 AM
I know some very talented academics who can barely tie their shoelaces, you have to plan and wipe noses. Give her IT person a slap around the ears, and who ever set and maintains her employers secuirty policy. It should be fool proof for important data, which this obviously is and the policy/system in place isn't.

Next time a little kddie comes down with meningicocal disease, think on how this data may have been able to help.

Of course you could probably replace the the researcher and duplicate the data, probably. Not everyone is capable of producing quality research or deceminating the information received in a meaningfull way.

Hopefuly the data cane be recovered, but some scumbag rat has probably already trashed the it :mad:

Cicero
23-12-2004, 08:23 AM
Whats this Tom??? Breaking into safes now? :@@:

I knew you would be impressed by my line of reasoning,they don't call me Ironside for nothing. :D

alasta
23-12-2004, 08:36 AM
It's all well and good to give her no sympathy, and criticise her for not having backups - but you must keep in mind that not everyone in this world who does important thins is extremely computer literate.

You don't need to be extremely computer literate to know that laptops often get lost or stolen. Regardless of computer knowledge, anyone can think "what if?", and then consult someone with good computer knowledge to advise on what sort of contingencies are required to protect against the unexpected.

zqwerty
23-12-2004, 07:50 PM
Capable of inter-galactic travel but can't tie their own shoe laces.

Kame
23-12-2004, 10:59 PM
She probably sold her data for a lot of money to the russians and then told her employee it was stolen.

Maybe they should run a trace on all calls made to and from her cellphone as this seems to be the essential evidence needed to connect all the dots.

Or maybe we can just let the detectives do their jobs and figure out how we can use a computer to scan her brain for all the information she has, and thus recovering the data and the scam, whoops.

Still think this is all conspiracy!

K Krazee

drcspy
24-12-2004, 06:33 AM
had the same thought as the post title..........sad she got it stolen ......STUPID that she had NO backup.......not just stupid in fact TOTALLY RIDICULOUS.......NO excuse at all.......dumb.......makes me say GGGrrrrrrrrrr and if I was her employer i'd be asking some HARD questions........like....'what are you doing for your next job'......

Strommer
24-12-2004, 10:43 AM
A friend of mine went to her father's funeral and left her laptop on the back seat of the car. Gone! She usually is careful about such things but the stress of the funeral caused the slip up. But the real idiot is the thief who preys on funeral attenders!

I never ever leave anything remotely valuable or 'interesting' in my car, anywhere, or I throw papers or a jacket over what could be stolen to keep the temptation off of a would be thief.