PDA

View Full Version : Moving an active PC - consequences?

Kindel
22-12-2004, 02:30 AM
Hi, i am wondering what the consequences are of moving a PC about 20cm while it'sstill turned on (if any). I'm talking about a modern PC with new drives. just interested to know if an active harddrive could be damaged by being moved a little.
thanks

Metla
22-12-2004, 02:38 AM
I had to boot my pc pretty hard to kill the harddrive,and even then im pretty sure it was a lucky shot....

I can't imagine moving it 20cm will do any hard,I shove mine around all the time,the wost that can happen is yanking a cable out,or putting stress on them(they are attached to the mobo after all....

E|im
22-12-2004, 02:49 AM
I move mine around all the time while it's on, see how the fans are running etc. No problems here. As long as everythings screwed in you should be fine.

theother1
22-12-2004, 07:14 AM
"I had to boot my pc pretty hard to kill the harddrive,and even then im pretty sure it was a lucky shot...."

Metla, what was it doing that prmpted that sort of discipline?

Metla
22-12-2004, 10:20 AM
"I had to boot my pc pretty hard to kill the harddrive,and even then im pretty sure it was a lucky shot...."

Metla, what was it doing that prompted that sort of discipline?

I was flatting at the time,Me and one of the other occupents were discussing use of the phone line and they bent over to yank the line out of the comp,at which time i booted it in order to remove it from their reach,Comp shot straight out the back of the desk,hit the wall in midflight,and then plummeted a couple feet to the floor.

Murray P
22-12-2004, 10:46 AM
I was flatting at the time,Me and one of the other occupents were discussing use of the phone line and they bent over to yank the line out of the comp,at which time i booted it in order to remove it from their reach,Comp shot straight out the back of the desk,hit the wall in midflight,and then plummeted a couple feet to the floor.

Shyte, hope the sod didn't get to the phone line before you did :eek: if you were lucky, it was a Bigfoot drive and was probably about to go out in sympathy anyway :badpc: another factor could have been your fluffy footware, that'd confuse any Bigfoot in to making a mistake :blush: (beetle could we have a photo please, just the feet mind you)

Dannz
22-12-2004, 10:55 AM
I doubt that would do anything