PDA

View Full Version : SKYPE

olldaddy78
21-12-2004, 12:04 PM
I have learned from a computer friend about SKYPE and also looked at the GOOGLE web page...but I have children in Houston and Geneva and was wondering if I could have recomendations or otherwise from PRESS F 1's who have used it...Cost..easy to use..etc Truthfully I have ben trying to learn how to send since new inception but only today did i find POST NEW THREAD...I feel like DUMMY but fortunately know I am not......This maybe disputed....actually I am olldaddy76.........Where is THE SPELLCHECKER?... :badpc:

leonidas5
21-12-2004, 12:51 PM
Hi I set up skype a few months ago but decided not to use it since I am on the 1 gig plan - it seemed to use quite a bit of broadband in a relatively short time. At 1 gig a month that allows about 30mb a day and skype could use that up relatively quickly.

If this is not an issue, then skype is an adequate means of communication - not as good as voice line but a neat way of trying something new at relatively low cost. Easy to set up and managed by us oldies!!

Give it a go.

Leon

george12
21-12-2004, 01:58 PM
I always thought you were oldlady76 not olldaddy76.

Musta been mistaken...

Bazman
21-12-2004, 02:16 PM
May seem like a dumb question, but the further the distance is that you're calling, the more bandwidth is consumes?
So talking to Geneva for 5 min would be climb to that 1 gig limit far quicker, than 5 min to Sydney for instance?

Zygar
21-12-2004, 04:03 PM
Nah, it uses the same amount of bandwidth no matter where you are calling.

Chilling_Silence
21-12-2004, 04:32 PM
When I was using it, it sat between 4KB/s and 12KB/s.
I found the quality to be good in Linux, and friendly with Win2k/XP reported likewise. Win98 quality wasnt as good, but still usable.

Well worth it, encrypted trasmissions (Just _what_ encryption Im not 100% sure of), although some of my calls were being routed through strange places such as NASA, some Uni's in the US, Japan, China, some military places, some chemical weapon development places..... Why it was being routed through IP's owned by these places Im not sure.

Anybody else noted that?

Cheers

Chill.

olldaddy78
21-12-2004, 09:59 PM
THanks to those who have replied...THere is more to take in and evaluate....A special HELLO to GEORGE 12...Get yourself a good pair of glasses as olldaddy76 could never be seen as olladdy76 unless you were blind to gender and a bad reader as well but as you have submitted many posts you should be more erudite........and less critical .......!

Growly
21-12-2004, 10:08 PM
although some of my calls were being routed through strange places such as NASA, some Uni's in the US, Japan, China, some military places, some chemical weapon development places

Was it routed through my house? I'm still waiting...

zilla
21-12-2004, 11:12 PM
I tried Skype pc to pc and it didn't work for me on dial up. Have since used firefly pc to pc an Australian outfit and it is crystal clear...clearer than a phone-call. You both need to download the program and need a headset microphone which you can buy for $10 to $15. I use it once a week to talk to a friend working in Saudi and have never had any problems.

http://www.freshtel.net/

Incognito
21-12-2004, 11:34 PM
I've used skype both on dial-up and broadband and found it was easy to use and clear to understand (call to Holland) as i am on Ihug's Bliink unlimited plan I don't worry about data usage.

george12
21-12-2004, 11:43 PM
I am dreadfully sorry, olldaddy76. My glasses however are just fine. It's the brain at fault that time I think ;)

george12
21-12-2004, 11:49 PM
I am downloading it now - quite a nicely designed site.

~sy~
21-12-2004, 11:51 PM
THanks to those who have replied...THere is more to take in and evaluate....A special HELLO to GEORGE 12...Get yourself a good pair of glasses as olldaddy76 could never be seen as olladdy76 unless you were blind to gender and a bad reader as well but as you have submitted many posts you should be more erudite........and less critical .......!

Maybe it could be time for another trip to the optometrists :dogeye: :nerd: :@@:

I'm due for mine soon...

Jaybee
16-04-2005, 09:24 PM
Is there any reason not to download both Skype and Firefly so that you can contact subscribers to both

zqwerty
16-04-2005, 09:36 PM
Had both on my computer and working, I don't think you will have any problems.