PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning the Keyboard keys?

ssssss
19-12-2004, 10:46 PM
Hi.
What methods do people use to clean their keyboards?
My Keyboard is 3 years old now, and inspite of careful use has got quite dirty with accumulated grime. It is a light grey coloured keyboard.
I did see the BluTack people recommending their BluTack to clean the keys, but this does not work. :groan:

noone
19-12-2004, 10:49 PM
i have heard that if you wash it in water and let it to dry it still works - but maybe you should to wait to see what another person says as i have never used this method before

Growly
19-12-2004, 10:53 PM
noone's method is excellent, just make sure there is no circuitry for additional buttons / slider / throttles. I've only heard this advice in relation to mechanical keyboards myself, but I am quite tempted to bathe my 6 year old HP keyboard (extremely faithful) to clean it. Hopefully it won't break too...

gill
19-12-2004, 10:57 PM
The best thing to do is arm yourself with a screwdriver and undo all the screws on the back, open it up and have a good old clean from the inside -make sure you have plenty of time and patience.
Did the trick for me.

Prescott
19-12-2004, 11:09 PM
The best thing to do is arm yourself with a screwdriver and undo all the screws on the back, open it up and have a good old clean from the inside -make sure you have plenty of time and patience.
Did the trick for me.

recommended, and use a air compressor if you got one, it will blow the grim out of there :D

ineedhelp
19-12-2004, 11:29 PM
i find turning it upside down and banging on the bottom of it helps to get a lot of the dust/ hairs/ boogers/ fingernail shreads and anything else in there out. not a very thorough cleaning method but it's a start.

Murray P
19-12-2004, 11:52 PM
If it's the type that the keys will pop off, do as suggested with the back then drop it in some tepid water with detergent along with the keys, but minus any circuitry. A large bowl or bucket is best to avoid losing bits down the plug hole, use a tooth brush to get into the awkward spots.

Give it a good dry, then leave to dry further or use a hair dryer on a low setting to make sure it's competely dry.

Don't lose any keys or the springs.

Scouse
20-12-2004, 11:20 AM
Hi ssss. Not being sarcastic here, but the work involved depends on how much you value your time. Have a look at how cheap a new one would cost in somewhere like DSE. Treat yourself for Christmas - all bright and shining. :cool:

Billy T
20-12-2004, 01:08 PM
You can get a keyboard looking like new with a paper towel and Spray 'n Wipe. It shifts all the muck off the keys and other plastic-work, and it is excellent on monitors and computer cases too.

I do recommend vacuuming out the dust first though.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Marnie
20-12-2004, 11:20 PM
I'm assuming since you mention blu tack, you mean the top of the keys, and aren't one of those people who eat crackers while working and also keep your wine glass well out of the way!!

Spray N Wipe on a paper towel does work, as does glass cleaner, such as Mr Muscle..also applied with a paper towel, or use one of the glass cleaner sachets.

I also like the idea of giving yourself a new keyboard for Christmas.

Marnie

merino
20-12-2004, 11:56 PM
[QUOTE=Murray P]If it's the type that the keys will pop off, do as suggested with the back then drop it in some tepid water with detergent along with the keys, but minus any circuitry. QUOTE]

When putting the keys back, jumble them up first and create your own secret code :D :D :D

Rob99
21-12-2004, 12:00 AM
Treat your fingers to a new keyboard for xmas

About 20bucks should get you a realy good one

JJJJJ
21-12-2004, 05:23 AM
To remove crumbs, cigarette ash etc., lift the keyboard up and give it a few bangs on the desk with the front corners. This removes most of the goo.
If you want to clean the key caps etc. Unplug it and then give it a light spray with Pledge or a window cleaner or simliar and then a brisk rub with a cleaning cloth.You can use a tooth brush to get in between the keys. Or you can be like me and buy a board with black keys!
If you have a wife watching don't use your handkerchief as a cleaning cloth!
Years agoI tried removing the back of a MS Natural KB and gave it a thorough clean then reassembled it again. The KB never worked again.

In the book "Computers for Dummies" they reccomend giving it a good wash in warm soapy water and then hang it out on the clothes line.

Jack
:badpc: :badpc:

FoxyMX
21-12-2004, 03:01 PM
In the book "Computers for Dummies" they reccomend giving it a good wash in warm soapy water and then hang it out on the clothes line.

Meh, what's wrong with the dishwasher? :p

Graham L
21-12-2004, 04:28 PM
Jerry Pournelle (in his Byte columns) said he took his keyboards into the shower with him.

These wet solutions are a Bad Idea these days. Most modern keyboards haven't got "real" switches to be cleaned. They have membrane switches, and you'll find it easier to get conductive streaks across their tracks than to remove them.

T

Catweazle
21-12-2004, 05:17 PM
...and also keep your wine glass well out of the way!!

Eeyahh.. A couple of months ago, after many happy nights on the comp, with glasses of cheapy wine, my A key went down but never came back up. It was stuck solid. The next day, I got my trusty breadknife out and removed all the keys. When I saw what was underneath them, I was truly horrified. I think a new species was created out of the collected dust, goo, cigarette ash and sticky wine residue I found there.

It was all quickly seen to, with the help of a slightly damp rag and an artists' paintbrush. It also gave me the perfect excuse to de-gunge the keys with soapy water while I was at it. The only trouble I had was remembering the order of the keys. Did the job though, and as a bonus, the keyboard still worked. I have to admit, the idea of soaking a keyboard in water gives me the jitters.

At least I learned not to drink round the computer. It was either that or start using the kids tommee tippee..

wintertide
21-12-2004, 06:59 PM
At work we have to clean keyboards to sell with our refurbished computers... a bit of cream cleanser mixed with some water on a damp rag does the job... blow out the keyboard with compressed air first though and don't get too much water in it!

The car buffer does wonders too :p :D

maxpower
23-12-2004, 06:30 AM
Would washing a cordless keyboard in soapy water damage it?

pixeldust
23-12-2004, 08:49 AM
Nothing wrong with putting it in the dishwasher ("http://www.rabidhardware.net/index.php?id=9) as long as you do it right :)

If all else fails, and you buy a new one.. make sure it's black ;)

Graham L
24-12-2004, 02:31 PM
A cordless keyboard washed in soapy water would almost certainly become a clean paperweight. Any modern keyboard will probably become a clean paperweight. The capillary paths make it easy to get liquid in. It's very hard to rinse contaminants out.

bob_doe_nz
24-12-2004, 10:13 PM
take out the keys and wash them individually in a half and half solution of isopropyl alcohol and H20