PDA

View Full Version : Ethernet port on computer

tedheath
19-12-2004, 08:57 PM
A few weeks ago I tried to get my Xtra asdl DSL 302G modem going on ethernet port for my new broadband connection.
Couldnt get it to work although the ethernet led was lit.
Plugged it into usb port and it worked. I only have 2 usb ports so I need to get the modem going on ethernet.
Even though I have mentioned ethernet a few times I have no idea what it is.
If I have the ethernet female port in my computer does that mean it is hooked up internaly? is the fact the green led lit mean that the ethernet is live or just that a cable is plugged into it?
I have w98se the computer is a amd 900 mb in a macrocom box.
Also how long can an ethernet cable be before there are losses.

Thanks
tedheath

drb1
19-12-2004, 09:22 PM
A few weeks ago I tried to get my Xtra asdl DSL 302G modem going on ethernet port for my new broadband connection.
Plugged it into usb port and it worked. I only have 2 usb ports so I need to get the modem going on ethernet.
Even though I have mentioned ethernet a few times I have no idea what it is.

A

tcpi lan network in house, very minature internet. Ethernet card/Lan card/Network card, same thing
===
If I have the ethernet female port in my computer does that mean it is hooked up internaly?

A

Its physically there, but may not be set up.
=====
is the fact the green led lit mean that the ethernet is live or just that a cable is plugged into it?

A

Means we have a live connection between card and externall device.

====
I have w98se the computer is a amd 900 mb in a macrocom box.

A

98 is not the most user friendly to learn lan setup on.

Before you try to do the router thing, you may be better getting 2 units to communicate, then you can add the router knowing all works otherwise you have more variables IMHO.

==========

A

Over 93 ft/30m app can lead to issues
====

Thanks
tedheath

D.

berryb
19-12-2004, 09:29 PM
If the led light was on then your ethernet plug is live but you will have to set it up to work. Win98 is not so user friendly as XP but can still be done. You are best to go to a networking website such as http://www.wown1.com/ and check out the Win98 section.

Big John
19-12-2004, 09:30 PM

Thanks
tedheath
You need to set up the connection in the Network properties so that the IP addresses are on the same range. Your modem will be set for a certain IP address maybe something like 192.168.1.1 or 10.10.0.1 and your Ethernet card needs its IP in the same range. So you would set it for 192.168.1.2 in the first case or 10.10.0.2 in the second. Cant remember how it's done in Win98 but should be under properties for the network card TCP/IP settings.

Cables can be quite long. I have seen one 30 meters with no problems and I think they can go 100 meters but it all depends on the quality of the cable and what noise sources are around it.

Growly
19-12-2004, 09:31 PM
Windows 98 is quite easy to set up in actual fact, just no where near as easy as Windows XP. Based on my Windows 95 days, all you have to do is ... maybe it's best if the site tell you...

b1naryb0y
19-12-2004, 09:38 PM
Are you using a dynamic or static IP?

Your IP should be dynamically assigned by the router. You should be able to open up a browser window, type in the routers IP, most probably 192.168.1.1, and have access to the web based frontend to the router

To check to see if your IP address is being assigned dynamically do this:

Open up Control Panel and double click on "Network Connections".
Select "TCP/IP" and click properties. (Do not select "TCP/IP -> Dial-Up Adapter" )
Ensure that "Obtain an IP address automatically" is selected, click OK
Reboot

Try accesign the internet again, and if it still doesn't work:

Check to see if the router is switched on
Ensure that both ends of the ethernet cable are plugged in
Make sure that you are using a standard "patch" cable and not a crossover cable.

Growly
19-12-2004, 09:41 PM
... or don't go to the site.

Make sure that the LAN configuration of the router is correct, and is in the same IP range as the computer itself.

I.E. (IIRC) The LAN interface is 10.1.1.1, with netmask of 255.0.0.0, so you would make your computer 10.1.1.3 with a netmask of 255.0.0.0 (not 10.1.1.2, because IIRC that's the address of the other 302G interface: the USB port)

berryb
19-12-2004, 09:48 PM
Does the DSL 302G modem use a patch or crossover cable? Best to use the cable that came with the modem, that way you know you have the correct one.

ninja
19-12-2004, 10:40 PM
==========

A

Over 93 ft/30m app can lead to issues
====

Umm nope - Cat5 is certified to 100m or so before complications arise.

drb1
19-12-2004, 10:56 PM

All the knoweledge you have, all the help you could give, and this is your contribution.

What a waste of space.

D.

Spartacus
20-12-2004, 08:45 AM
All the knoweledge you have, all the help you could give, and this is your contribution.

What a waste of space.

D.

Whoaa, easy - I'd say that's a pretty valid contribution. Isn't that exactly what the original post requested??

Chilling_Silence
20-12-2004, 08:57 AM
Oh c'mon people.... Its win98.... Its piss-easy to configure.
I did NT4.0 just yesterday with the same router.

If you've assigned a static IP address, then point the gateway to 10.1.1.1 (If you're using USB, then the Gateway/Primary DNS should be 10.1.1.2).

Just use DHCP and it'll be fine.
I would be inclined to set 10.1.1.1 as your primary DNS server regardless, and let the router to DNS Forwarding from there.
Provided you have TCP/IP for "your lan adapter" then you'll be sweet.
You dont _need_ IPX/SPX or anything else for this.

Make sure you connect to your routers web-interface and configure it correctly:
http://10.1.1.1

Cheers

Chill.

drb1
20-12-2004, 07:33 PM
Whoaa, easy - I'd say that's a pretty valid contribution. Isn't that exactly what the original post requested??

Ninja W-T-F what ever it calls its self today, is cabable of giving ted step buy step instructions to completly solve his problem, in its sleep.

Its post wasnt aimed at ted.

D.

tedheath
20-12-2004, 08:29 PM
Thank you everyone for replies and help. Sorry I couldnt check threads before but I have been out doing hydraulic breakdowns.
It looks a bit bewildering but I have printed out posts and if it is quiet tomorrowI will have a go configuring lan.
Chill you really are a cool moderator your english is striaght to the point and understandable.
Thanks again everyone who helped I will let you know how I got on. (Dont hold your breath though retards like me shouldnt play around with computers)

tedheath

drb1
20-12-2004, 08:34 PM
Thank you everyone for replies and help. Sorry I couldnt check threads before but I have been out doing hydraulic breakdowns.
==

===
tedheath

What evil, cooking oil beastie's broke this time?

D.

theother1
20-12-2004, 08:43 PM
Ted, There is a lot of good advise here but it maybe a little hard to find amongst the egos.
Did the modem come with an installation guide?
If it did there should be two sets of instructions with it. One for auto set up and the other for manual set up.
If you have no guide ring up your isp, it is their job to get you online.
I agree with a lot of stuff written here, however I am not by any means an expert and am prepared to get shot down as soon as I post this.:dogeye:

ninja
20-12-2004, 08:48 PM
Ninja W-T-F what ever it calls its self today, is cabable of giving ted step buy step instructions to completly solve his problem, in its sleep.

Its post wasnt aimed at ted.

D.
That sand seems to be irritating you some doesn't it.

I changed my username once, and not by choice. If I had my way I'd have maintained my original username - it's not like I'm trying to hide behind it. I state who I am. Don't like it then tough.

The post I made was aimed at correcting your misinformation which I spotted whilst trawling the thread. It was relevant to the threads overall content, and it was accurate. Whilst I could've written instructions for configuring W98 without firing a neuron I was otherwise tied up and didn't have time.

drb1
20-12-2004, 09:37 PM
That sand seems to be irritating you some doesn't it.

I changed my username once, and not by choice. If I had my way I'd have maintained my original username - it's not like I'm trying to hide behind it. I state who I am. Don't like it then tough.

The post I made was aimed at correcting your misinformation which I spotted whilst trawling the thread. It was relevant to the threads overall content, and it was accurate. Whilst I could've written instructions for configuring W98 without firing a neuron I was otherwise tied up and didn't have time.

If you were so short of time simply correct/post different and move on.

But you, no you have to snipe as well, its in your nature I suppose, like some children enjoy hurting small animals.

Hence your correction defence is flawed.

I knew it was wrong but didnt go back and correct it.

Ted would be more concerned to know that 30 ft was not an issue. anybody who wanted to run over 30M would Know its 90 somethig M around 300ft american standard, which is what my post was ment to say.

Try and paint your self a halo today, your nature will not allow you to keep it intact.

I'll watch closely at full Moon.

D.

ninja
20-12-2004, 10:16 PM
If you were so short of time simply correct/post different and move on.

But you, no you have to snipe as well, its in your nature I suppose, like some children enjoy hurting small animals.
There was no snipe, nothing personal at all. You elected to take it personally - I merely made a correction - here's the post again just in case you didn't read it last time (and the edit function is only open for 15 mins so it's the same post that was there last night):

Hence your correction defence is flawed.No it's not, it's accurate. See above.

Ted would be more concerned to know that 30 ft was not an issue. anybody who wanted to run over 30M would Know its 90 somethig M around 300ft american standard, which is what my post was ment to say.
Not necessarily, I certainly didn't the first time I ran 300M of Cat5 and broke it in the middle with a hub to make the difference. I had to search, that search could have found an incorrect post :eek:

I'll watch closely at full Moon.Yeah, you'll find the tides affect the sand quite markedly.

drb1
20-12-2004, 11:14 PM
Yeah, you'll find the tides affect the sand quite markedly.[/QUOTE]

Case proven.

AS stated buy others your Ego.

The compulsion to have the last word, and finish with something unplesant.

Nothing has changed but the everchanging name, This one you definatly are not worthy off.

D.

Chilling_Silence
20-12-2004, 11:27 PM
You both have your points, but please, PM one another rather than riddle this forum with bickering.

Or just live and let live, we all make mistakes.

Đĉ
20-12-2004, 11:30 PM
AS stated buy others your Ego.
by (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=by)

buy (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=buy)

Learn them and people might actually take you seriously. :stare: Or not.

b1naryb0y
20-12-2004, 11:38 PM

This is a computer help forum, not a spelling bee.

Computer knowledge rates higher than spelling when I decide how much I will trust someone's input.

:)

drb1
20-12-2004, 11:48 PM
by (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=by)

buy (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=buy)

They waste all this money on all the fluffy crap in this new forum and the 1 needed item thay dont bring/buy, a decent user friendly spell checker.

Dyslexic people have been abused for centuries and told thay they are stupid ect because they can not write or spell correctly.

Or to the perfect standards of others, probably why so many of them pick up guns, dosent justify, but is understandable.

D.

Growly
20-12-2004, 11:56 PM

I think you'll find that that is a restriction placed on the Ethernet standard, to do with the signal propogation and bit time requirements so as to avoid frame collisions. This restriction was applied with 10BaseT, in the days that Cat 4 was hard to come by. This is all because of the time it takes for a signal to travel across a strip of copper, compared to say a line of fiber.

Somewhat off topic, but if 1000BaseT had it its way we'd all be stuck with much shorter cables, for the same reason as the above.'

Conclusion: The 2 metre cable supplied with the modem is just dandy :D