PDA

View Full Version : Which Distro do you use?

Ash M
19-12-2004, 05:18 PM
Which linux distro do you use?

Jen
19-12-2004, 05:42 PM
Hmm ... no multiple choices allowed, so I went for my main distro :p

I've heard lots of good things about Ubuntu and it would be good to take a closer look at it :)

personthingy
19-12-2004, 05:53 PM
i feel that i should log in under a different alias so i can vote twice, once for mandrake that im using now, and once for fendora that im about to run instead.

I dont like mandrake, and in the interests of avoiding rants, i shall not say why

:badpc: :badpc: :badpc: :badpc:

Catweazle
19-12-2004, 05:58 PM
What? I can only vote for one? *sniff*

Ubuntu is a good li'l distro. I use it as a livecd. Have to put Mandy down as my main one though.

Growly
19-12-2004, 06:04 PM
I had to vote for my main one too - debian x4.

Murray P
19-12-2004, 06:19 PM
Same here would like multi-choice.

Yoper is the main distro of the moment. Have a soft spot for Mepis (which is similar to Ubuntu but more mature).

Also interested in Fedora and Gentoo.

Phil B
19-12-2004, 06:40 PM
I use Mandrake but frustrated by lack of support, ie, there's never an up to date rpm. I'm trying to upgrade kde, all the other big distros are supported. Tried Fedora, it swallows the cd & won't give it back, that was a major frustration, big enough to go back to Mandrake. I want user friendly + command line. Any suggestions

Jen
19-12-2004, 06:52 PM
I want user friendly + command line. Any suggestionsTry Yoper - it is a NZ distro as well :)

It is more bleeding edge so will have most of the latest/greatest etc. It can be easily maintained via Synaptic to add/remove packages as well.

John H
19-12-2004, 09:35 PM
I am surprised you haven't Xandros in your poll... :confused:

John H (Xandros v3.0 user)

Prescott
19-12-2004, 09:45 PM
i got Yoper installed at the moment and it rocks, its really cool and its a good place to start learning/using linux, i also have knoppix which i got the other day and its seems pretty sweet, i gotta have a bit more time with it though.

i wouldnt mind having a go at gentoo, that looks mint :)

agent
19-12-2004, 09:54 PM
I voted "Other" because I don't know where my loyalties lie.

Over the past few years I've tried (only installing, in some instances) the following (and there's probably a few I've left out):
Red Hat 7.x
Debian 3.0r1
Arch Linux 0.5, 0.6, 0.7 beta
Euronode Minimal and Euronode Simple Firewall
Fedora Core :stare:
Ark Linux
Xandros
Mandrake 9.0

At the moment I've started investigating LFS - and I'm set, really, I just need more time on my hands...

But my OS of common choice is still Windows :p

Murray P
19-12-2004, 10:32 PM
Phil, as Jen says, give Yoper (http://www.yoper.com/) a try. It's a one CD install which of course you can add to and update from the repository.

Mepis (http://www.mepis.org/) would be another to investigate IMO. It's Deb based, fairly bleeding edge but not to the extent Yoper is, aimed at desktop usage mainly for the standard version, can be got as a single Live CD with very good intsllation to HDD and hardware detection.

Growly
19-12-2004, 10:37 PM
there's never an up to date rpm

That's why I love debian, the apt get command allows you to get the latest version of anything...

Disclaimer: Not everything.

Prescott
19-12-2004, 10:51 PM
the yoper install is brilliant, you partion your drive using QTParted and then install it in a matter of minutes, about 15 minutes which is really fast :eek:

but dont be like me and have your hdd in the wrong IDE cable/slot and then yoper wont install :mad: ( i had it like this because i was taking out a old hdd :rolleyes: ) and also back up your windows os because no matter how many times i installed windows and partioned my drive, it stuffed up my ntfs partion which was a bummer :groan: but thats another story.......

Dannz
20-12-2004, 12:54 PM
Mandrake is not a bad distro

ILikeLinux
20-12-2004, 01:08 PM
c'mon gentoo.....

i-gordon
20-12-2004, 07:27 PM
Xandros 2.01 because I have no hardware, sound & network issues.
I have tried about 6 other distros every one had something I couldn't get to work. I intend to go to Xandros 3.0 soon.http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/images/smilies/thumbs.gif

personthingy
20-12-2004, 07:28 PM
Mandrake is not a bad distro

Yeah.. using Mandrake 10 as is, and not wishing to add to it, it probably isnt too bad.... However, i had a bit af a bad experiance..

http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?t=51811&page=2&pp=20&highlight=recording+mandrake

After this, i installed the developement packages from the CD, made a real mess of the system, formatted, reinstalled selecting EVERYTHING gets installed, and still couldnt get what i wanted from it.

This is why i dis it, but putting that and related issues aside, i have learnt alot from it, and hope that the lessons will be useful with my next distribution!

:D

Edward
20-12-2004, 08:22 PM
teh easy way out: Lycoris

R2x1
04-09-2007, 11:00 PM
PCLinux OS on a desktop and the laptop, Debian on a desktop and the same laptop again, a pair of XP desktops, and also on the long suffering laptop. That is it currently.
I started with Peanut, still like it, but haven't tried any recent iterations.

beeswax34
04-09-2007, 11:15 PM
Why is this back after 2 years or so?

Renmoo
04-09-2007, 11:31 PM
Why is this back after 2 years or so?
Princess Leia's command on R2 to revive the whole business on Linux distro. :D

The_End_Of_Reality
05-09-2007, 06:36 AM
Princess Leia's command on R2 to revive the whole business on Linux distro. :D Actually some ... voted in the poll which is now closed

personthingy
05-09-2007, 08:27 AM
Why is this back after 2 years or so?2 years ey?
That in itself sounds like a good reason! Lets see what's changed, why people have gone from what ever they had to whatever they have now, or why they have stuck with their fav, whatever.

I've experermented, gone from trying everything i could find on a nasty laptop, to sitting firmly in the Debian camp with the exception of a brief stint with PC-Linux-OS. Both meinserver, and POS (my personal machine) are running Debian etch, with the essentual difference that meinserver is running without any form of GUI installed which has done wonders for it's speed as a server, and given me the added bonus of forcing me to learn a thing or two :)

Yippy!

Myth
05-09-2007, 05:56 PM
For myself, I use Gentoo (on this machine) and Debian testing (for a gui-less machine I'm in the process of building, accessible only via ssh)

motorbyclist
06-09-2007, 12:56 AM
i had ubuntu for a while on my server but i guess i just found it too confusing getting the networking right so went for XP pro lol

i've never actually activated it, so it just sits there in the corner storing stuff.

i would've liked to learn more linux but didn't have the time at the time (and still dont)

V1sta
06-09-2007, 05:10 PM
Ubuntu may be the easiest OS in the world to learn. srsly

motorbyclist
06-09-2007, 05:38 PM
Ubuntu may be the easiest OS in the world to learn. srsly

lol that's why i got it