PDA

View Full Version : Playstation portable

Ninjabear
19-12-2004, 03:24 PM
I'm trying to find out if the playstation portable handheld game thing is split into ntsc and pal.
Does anybody know if its split into ntsc or pal or is it just like gameboy advance where you can buy the games anywhere in the world and will be able to use it on any game boy advance.

Growly
19-12-2004, 04:02 PM
Do you mean the psone?

Ninjabear
19-12-2004, 04:38 PM
No not ps one.playstation portable.
PSP

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000140023554/

Catweazle
19-12-2004, 04:50 PM
The spec sheet I just read never mentioned anything about that. From what I see here, http://www.us.playstation.com/pressreleases.aspx?id=207 it makes no mention of whether you can hook it up to the telly or not. If not, PAL etc would surely not be needed? Sounds like its going to be stuck with regions same as cd drives etc. though.

All I know, is that my PS2 disks won't be fitting in there, lol.

I wonder how much they'll retail for..

Ninjabear
19-12-2004, 04:58 PM
I think psp is multi system.Like Nintendo gameboy!!

Growly
19-12-2004, 06:46 PM
Holy schmozen kanoodle rocker socks, I've never seen that before - but I'd imagine that it'd be multi standard compatible -or maybe just in the country you bought it from.

Prescott
20-12-2004, 10:44 AM
i wounder what sort of cpu it has and how fast the thing is,
same with ps2 what would that be? 500mhz or is it completely different :rolleyes:

Mirddes
21-12-2004, 05:48 PM
acording to what i have read, the PSP should be 100% region free,
as with the DS ,
ofcorse teh wires used to charge up both oh them, will differ dependin gon teh country of purchace.

Metla
21-12-2004, 07:09 PM
i wounder what sort of cpu it has and how fast the thing is,
same with ps2 what would that be? 500mhz or is it completely different :rolleyes:

Off the top of my head i think the ps1 had a 74mhz cpu,and the p2s a 266mhz.

The Psp is based on ps1 tech.....

george12
21-12-2004, 09:01 PM
The PSP has a variable speed 1~333MHz processor.

See here (http://www.ferrago.com/story/3562) for all the specs.

Fergie
24-12-2004, 12:37 PM
Hey.
I been following the PSP VERY closely (perhaps to close - i'm sure i've read every article and looked at every pic there is on teh PSP!)

As for the regions - it does and it doesn't.
What i mean by this, is there are NO REGION encodings on games.
So yes, u can buy a PSP from japanese - change the language over to english, buy a Japanese game (which some you can't change langauges - for teh games i mean) play it in NZ, when it does come to NZ, buy a NZ game - and it should work fine.
I say should, as it was quoted by a sony rep saying "all games are tested on the machines for that particular machine available in that region, however, the games aren't encoded with region settings, but becuase the games aren't tested on all the types of machines, there could be a small chance of little problems - but less will be highly unlikely"
And so they recommend you buy a PSP locally (but they're only ouy in Jap at moment)

BUT, it does have region settings for playing media (movies etc) via UMD.
This won't affect anyone at the moment - as there aren't any movies, or albums out of UMD as of yet (but sony are planning to do so - and are in talks with hollywood)
So if you do get a Jap console, and in a year or so, tehy have movies on UMD, and u buy one locally, it may not work on your machine.

I was dead keen on buying one of these - i had preordered one, but when i saw the price (RRP was around $250 US) i thought no! - as they only released 200k units, and demand was HUGE, retailers all rose the price.

There were people selling untis on eBay leading up to xmas for $1000 US BUY NOW, and tehy were selling!!
Thats 4 times as much as retails.
Lik-sang add a few left - and they wanted $500US.

So i decided to wait, but i think i will wait until teh USA release (March 05) for a few reasons.
1) becuase price should be more stable by then
2) they should have fixed any minor problems that the inital release machines may have had
and 3) the US is a english speaking nation (your joking! lol) and so at least if i do decide to get movies for it later on, i can get english ones...

Hope this all helps.

Fergie
24-12-2004, 01:06 PM
>The Psp is based on ps1 tech.....

NO WAY MAN!!

The psp is been compared to generation 2 and 3 PS2 games!
Have u seen some screen shots?
Check these out - if your Psone is putting out images like this...
http://www.mypsp.co.uk/largepics/pspflat-big.jpg (metal gear Acid game)

http://www.psinext.com/SPix/images/0023.jpg (tiger woods)
http://www.weblogsinc.com/common/images/9784670691380881.jpg (Comparing the sizes of HH consoles)
http://www.thevooner.com/feature/2004/12/14/sonypsp/psp_pic1.jpg

And as for the specs:

PSP CPU (System clock frequency 1~333MHz)
32MB Main Memory
4MD Embedded DRAM

And it has 2 CPU cores as well!

How powerful is the PSP?
In the words of EA's developers; "Although the PSP CPU power is less than the current generation living room console, we are able to achieve visuals that are on par with second or third generation PS2 titles."
Earlier, Sony have also announced that it's comparable with the PS2.
Source: EA.

Fergie
24-12-2004, 01:10 PM
Oh, and another thing.
Incase you guys weren't aware - this unit is more than just a gaming device.
It has Wifi built in (for gaming mainly - but you can connect to the net thro a network)
Plays Mp3's and videos - thro UMD or via Memory Stick.
This is another reason y i can't wiat to get mine.
It has about 10-11hrs MP3 play back.
I have a MP3 cd player - batteries last about 8 hrs - holds 700mb of data.
When i get my PSP, i'm gonna sell this - and get a 1GB Memory stick - chuck music on there, and i have a gaming and audio device!!

DangerousDave
24-12-2004, 08:13 PM
Off the top of my head i think the ps1 had a 74mhz cpu,and the p2s a 266mhz.

The Psp is based on ps1 tech.....

I have a feeling its RISC architecture. I think we should expect graphics slightly better than PsOne (it is a handheld after all).

To Others...
You must also remember that although you can have potential to have awesome graphics, the battery life is a major problem for the PSP. I don't think we'll be seeing any games that use the full graphics potential for sometime yet, well at least until better batteries come out. Running it at its full potential would probably kill the battery in 1 or 2 hours - not cool.

- David

Fergie
24-12-2004, 11:01 PM
You must also remember that although you can have potential to have awesome graphics, the battery life is a major problem for the PSP. I don't think we'll be seeing any games that use the full graphics potential for sometime yet, well at least until better batteries come out. Running it at its full potential would probably kill the battery in 1 or 2 hours - not cool.

Fair point.
And infact - this has been the most talked about 'negative' about the PSP.
'Whats the point in all this power at ya fingers if it only gonna last a few hrs' etc

But, Ign had done a heap of battery tests (go to there site, and look for PSP BATTERY JOURNAL) and found that the battery isn't THAT BAD (nothing flash, but it's ok...)

They found Ridge Racers (the most demanding game at the moment) fell just short of 4hrs gaming (non-stop, medium sound, brightness etc)
Whereas other games (ie, golf) lasted about 6hrs.

Mp3 playing (no screen, and via headphones) was around 10-11hrs

But the big sucker is the Wifi usage (u only turn it on when u require it - so its ok)
Gamespot played RR multiplayer (via WiFi) with all standard settings, and only got 100min's game time.

So yea, i can see where you're coming from.

But me personally, i won't have more than 1-2hrs gaming (with or w/o WiFi) on a typical day when i get it. There may be times when i will require more - and this is why i will get an extra battery.

Fergie
24-12-2004, 11:11 PM
o, and just a quick comparison of the two new systems (The other is Nintendo's DS (Dual Screen - one is a touch sensitive)

Here is a pic of the game Ridge Racers on the PSP:
http://www.weblogsinc.com/common/images/8131594382758137.jpg

And the same game on the DS:
http://www.weblogsinc.com/common/images/8042727637215705.jpg

The wheel would be on the second screen on the DS, and looks as if it would be underutilised in this game - but i no some games (such as RPG games) use it alot.

Now, i no you can't really say much about the difference about one game, and you can't say how good a game is on 1 screen shot - but i sure as no which one i'd ratehr be playing!

IMO, i reckon that the DS will be targeted more towards younger games (ie, 8-16yrs, Male and Female) funded by their parents etc
Whereas the PSP will be the older ppl (15-30 M&FM).

BUt thats just a thought

Metla
24-12-2004, 11:33 PM
meh....I did say off the top of my head. :rolleyes:

Ninjabear
28-12-2004, 02:48 AM
My dads 50 years old and he traded in his Gba for a gameboy DS

I hate it how the sony memory sticks are so expensive.

The PSP can play movies and you should be able to avoid region etc by converting it to mpeg4 format then upload to the memory stick.

I doubt I would buy PSp to play dvd movies.Everytime I want to play a movie.I have to convert like 300mb.A pain!

Fergie
28-12-2004, 07:48 PM
Hey.
Whats the DS like?
What games u got/played?
Any good?

Yea, the prices of the Memory sticks are high - it would have been better off if sony made it compatible wif standard SD cards - but its obvisous y they didn't - its gonna get more people buying their cards... more $$

At the moment, there are no movies out on the UMD format - and sony has released software that converts movies to the correct format.

And if u decide u want to play movies/music on ya DS, Nintendo have announced an addon ofr $50 US taht enables teh GBA and DS to play Movies and MP3's from a SD card.

I'm still looking ford to teh day i get my PSP tho!

george12
28-12-2004, 11:24 PM
IMO the PSP is by far superior.

The reason Sony made it that it only takes Sony's memory sticks is that they sell the actual hardware of the console at a loss, and accessories/games are where they make their money.

This is in a way good for the end user, because it reduces the price you have to pay for the actual console, meaning that your money can go to however many games you buy, and good for Sony because it means more consoles sold -> more games sold.

I am thinking of importing them when some more come out in Japan. When's then next shipment? I am pretty sure it is in January. At that time I will import 10 or so if possible.

Cheers George

Ninjabear
29-12-2004, 01:50 AM
Japan stock is very expensive.I'm not relisting much of Psp because its so expensive.Im currently waiting for the Hk official psp stock!!

Ninjabear
29-12-2004, 01:52 AM
DOn't impport too much george.Once psp comes out in other country you will find a big gap in price between jap stock and other stock

Fergie
29-12-2004, 06:50 PM
Yea, rest comes out in Jan.
I personally would only buy 2 or three - unless u no you can sell the rest, becos just looking on TM - theres about 8 on there, and the prices aren't that bad for what they're currently going for overseas (due to hi demand, low supply - on ebay leading up to xmas they were going for $600-900 US - no bull!!)

But yea, once the US gets there shipments (March) and then NZ, prices will be lower.
Sony said that the US prices would be lower than what they work out in US$$ with the stuff from japan.

So only import if you really want one for ya self and have the $$ otherwise, do wot i'm doing and wait till march - and think, any problems will be fixed by then (never by version 1 products...) and it will be the western world region (for movies later on)

george12
29-12-2004, 11:55 PM
Um, it's RRP at US $188 in Jap. That's pretty damn good.

I could EASILY sell them at NZ $500 or more.

I just need to find someone who lives in Japan to buy some ;)...

george12
29-12-2004, 11:55 PM
As for ME, I'm waiting for my one.

Ninjabear
30-12-2004, 04:59 AM
Once PSp releases in Hk. I will put them up for sale online.The ac power adaptor will be 110-220v so it will be international .USa are based on 110v and you will need to get a transformer/power converter!!

Ninjabear
30-12-2004, 05:02 AM
USa uses a different Dvd region than nz.I guess if u all wanna watch movies.Convert the dvds to mpeg4 and upload to memory stick.I certainly wouldn't buy to watch movies.Usa uses region 1.We use region 4.!!
Im sure they'll be a decoder somehow in the future