PDA

View Full Version : Weird Problem I Never Had Before

DrunkenRussian
18-12-2004, 02:42 PM
Hi Guys, this is my first post haha :D
I got a question, i reformated my pc like 3 days ago, i got win xp everything is fine, but when i try to install a new driver for my video card it says this at the end of its installation " C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'close' to terminate the application ." so it doesnt install the driver. I need to install the driver very bad tho cuz without it i cant play counter strike. PLZ HELP ME, wut is this problem and how do i fix it?NEED HELP

Morgenmuffel
18-12-2004, 03:08 PM
re you installing the correct driver not a 98 version?

I have a feeling that error has to more to do with old games than modern cards

the usual questions

what is your card
and which drivers are you trying to install

was there an error number?

the closest I could find is the below, but it is more for old (dos) software rather than a cards

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767

Graham L
18-12-2004, 03:12 PM
Welcome to PressF1.

It looks as if you have a wrong version of the driver. You have probably got one which is meant for Windows 95/98/ME. Have another look at the site you got it from for one intended for Windows XP.

DrunkenRussian
19-12-2004, 09:42 AM
mhm... im pretty sure i got the right driver cuz i got it from ati.com , when i downloaded the driver it even sayd on it, winxp.
its weird like it installs it and everything, its practicaly done the installation, the install window dissapears and then a little windows apears sayin that weird messenge again, like i had win xp and installed it and it worked perfect and everything, then i reformated my pc , and installed win xp again. And now its not workin for some funny reason, argggg i wanna play cs lol :badpc:

godfather
19-12-2004, 09:54 AM
I think this issue results from a recent XP update as it's very common.

The cure given in the link above should work however.

Are you saying it does not work for you?

beama
19-12-2004, 09:57 AM
Is the package you downloaded a self extracting archive.
if so try this
right click on "my Computer" select "properties" select "hardware" tab click on "Device Manager" Button find your display adapter right click on "Update Driver" option, follow wizard through ensuring you tell it to look at C:\ ( I suspect it will find the updated driver in a temp folder).
btw autoexec.nt controlls 16 bit (dos) applications in the xp enviroment.
Good Luck

Catweazle
19-12-2004, 10:09 AM
Hmm.. It would be pretty hard to screw up which driver version you were downloading at the ATI site. XP is at the top of the list. Perhaps the database hiccupped and gave you the wrong version? Have you doublechecked the name of the driver against any other driver-download sites?

Knowing the name of your particular card would be helpful.

Have a look through here: http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?id=18 and spot the driver for your card, remembering to only get the XP version. Try using that and see if you get the same results.