PDA

View Full Version : Post editing function disappears?

alphazulusixeightniner
18-12-2004, 02:13 PM
Has anyone noticed the post editing button disappears after certain amount of time?

Seems to be happening for me. I can edit posts like just after I've posted them, but if I come back a day later, the button to edit is gone?? :annoyed:

Graham L
18-12-2004, 02:16 PM
There seems to be about a 15 minute limit. It's to stop people changing the facts after thinking. :D

alphazulusixeightniner
18-12-2004, 02:51 PM
Doh. I want the ability to edit and delete my own posts and threads when necessary. This calls for another poll. ;)

~sy~
18-12-2004, 08:00 PM
Yup. 15 minutes it is. I do think it should be more like a hour though...

Mike
18-12-2004, 08:03 PM
I think there should be a limit, but more like 12 or 24 hours. Sometimes things are posted at 2 or 3 in the morning before going to bed, and when you get up and have a look you realise it could have been a lot clearer... or perhaps you don't get another chance to read it until after work the next evening - at least you could have a chance to clarify. 15 minutes isn't long.

Mike.

Jen
18-12-2004, 08:30 PM
The reason for the short period of time allowed to edit your posts, is so that the content cannot be changed at a much later date which then renders all the subsequent replies irrelevant. 15 mins should be plenty of time to correct typo's and other formatting errors, or add last minute additions. :)

I think it is pretty fair and not open to abuse this way.

alphazulusixeightniner
18-12-2004, 08:47 PM
Every other forum lets you edit your posts any time you want. Even delete your post or thread if it becomes irrelevant. Why is this place always against the norm. :stare:

Please put no time limits on.

Graham L
19-12-2004, 02:52 PM
Read 1984 by George Orwell. Winston Smith worked in the Ministry of Truth editing history to conform with today's "facts". Once you have made a posting it becomes part of history.

You have a chance after making the posting to correct spelling, or perhaps delete anything which might get you banned. But if you make a posting, you have to take responsibility for it. If someone shows signs of misunderstanding you, you can correct the impression with another posting, if necessary. It's not reasonable to edit your original posting to make the "someone" look like an idiot.

If you think you might be embarrassed in the "cold light of dawn" by something you have prepared to post, don't push the "Post" button. It's always a good idea to read over a missive and think how others will receive it before posting it.

~sy~
19-12-2004, 03:57 PM
Talking about George Orwell, I must say I've being very impressed with his works. One of his novels called 'Animal Farm' is a great read. Somewhat following the 1984 story, it's about animals ruling over humans with hints of the corruption of civilisation as we know it. History is continously rewritten by the pigs before the other animals realised, to take over the animal kingdom in becoming humans.

Last paragraph and most memorable goes along the lines like
"Twelve voices were shouting in anger, and they were all alike. No question, now, what had happened to the faces of the pigs. The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which"

Although somewhat offtopic for this thread :p I must recommend it for summer reading. Of course, it's available from your favourite bookstore ;)

godfather
19-12-2004, 04:57 PM
I completely agree with Graham L in the matter of post editing.

I too see it in other forums, and the confusion that results from "posthumous" editing that changes the entire point of a thread and makes subsequent responses look unreasonable.

Given the behaviour of some here it would be quite unwelcome.
I actually preferred no editing, but do use it myself for correction of errors in the immediate sense, but only because it exists for 15 minutes.

The Orwell parallel is well made.

Đĉ
19-12-2004, 06:16 PM
The sheer arrogance of your posts these days astound me godfather.

Mike
19-12-2004, 06:22 PM
:confused: How was that arrogant?

Mike.

Murray P
19-12-2004, 06:36 PM
Got to agree with GL & GF.

Another point in support of limited editing is the relevance of threads that have had posts edited to a search of the forum.

If the whole thread is that shot, the mod's can edit or delete it.

FoxyMX
19-12-2004, 07:05 PM
And another vote in support of thy two Wise Ones. :thumbs:

Godfather arrogant?? How do you figure that one out??

george12
19-12-2004, 08:03 PM

What the hell?