PDA

View Full Version : Install a 3rd optical device (cd rom) ?

NonDePlume
18-12-2004, 12:37 AM
Seasons Greetings

I have the normal 2 x ide connectors on the mb. On the primary the hdd is connected as master. I have my cd/rw and dvdrom on the secondary as master/slave. Can I install a 3rd device ( cdrom ) on the vacant slave connection of the pimary ide cable ? Or do I have to use a pci ide controller ( ?? ) as that slave connection should be for a 2nd hdd only ? :confused:

Cheers
NonDePlume

the highlander
18-12-2004, 12:44 AM
Seasons Greetings

I have the normal 2 x ide connectors on the mb. On the primary the hdd is connected as master. I have my cd/rw and dvdrom on the secondary as master/slave. Can I install a 3rd device ( cdrom ) on the vacant slave connection of the pimary ide cable ? Or do I have to use a pci ide controller ( ?? ) as that slave connection should be for a 2nd hdd only ? :confused:

Cheers
NonDePlume
Go ahead and install it as a slave, though it seems a might redundant considering you already have two optical drives

Speedy Gonzales
18-12-2004, 09:20 AM
U could put something on as slave on IDE1, BUT depending on what it is. It could stuff things up, due to the speed diff between the hdd and cd/cd burner/dvd.

tweak'e
18-12-2004, 09:55 AM
ideally you should use a pci IDE controller and have each drive on its own IDE, that way performance is maximised.

Graham L
18-12-2004, 03:30 PM
But maximised performance might not be needed. :D It will cost nothing to plug the drive in the existing hardware.

One of the leaders on the radar development in WW2 was resolute in his search for the second-best. His experience had taught him that the best always took too long.

eat soap
18-12-2004, 03:37 PM
The cd-rom on the primary channel will slow down the hdd to ata-33 because thats the speed the cdrom opperates on. So no, don't put a 3rd opticle device in your comp (unless you want noise controll, and the fire brigade on your doorstep :P)

Graham L
18-12-2004, 03:52 PM
Is that still true? I though that modern controllers were designed so that the HD will run at its speed and the CD will run at its speed. At any time, only one can be using the bus.

drb1
18-12-2004, 03:55 PM
What was his name? My stepfather worked on that clasified project and others at Bletchley park.

NonDePlume
18-12-2004, 03:55 PM
Thanks for the info one and all.
I'll go for the pci gig ( and you are right Highlander it is redundant - but I just cant seem to help doing it out of curiosity and I'll use the excuse that its for extending the life of my overburdened, underpowered and unsupported cd/rw :) )

NonDePlume

Graham L
18-12-2004, 03:56 PM
Robert Watson-Watt. (I think -- :D)

eat soap
18-12-2004, 04:02 PM
Is that still true? I though that modern controllers were designed so that the HD will run at its speed and the CD will run at its speed. At any time, only one can be using the bus.
Thats it. You are correct. The factor that slows it down is that it is available only half the time.