PDA

View Full Version : What graphics card for me HP?

Polk
17-12-2004, 09:57 PM
Hey guys

I need to update me old diesel powered Hewlett Packard's graphics card, something that will comfortably let me play all the latest games, etc.

Specs:
Hewlett Packard
1.7 GHZ
265 MB RAM
40 gb HDD

Any reccomendations? I will be getting a professional Geek to do it becuase I know how tricky HP's are with there internal graphics cards, etc.

Thanks!

eat soap
17-12-2004, 10:02 PM
You better make sure it has an AGP slot. If it does what speed is it (4x or 8x)? and how much will you be spending on it. If you have the dosh - X800 pro ~ $800. for a midrande card - GeForce 6600 GT ~ $425. for about $300 go for ATI Radeon 9600XT.

Tell us how much you want to spend :)

noone
17-12-2004, 10:39 PM
The 9600Xt is the best one for its price , after that price you get crap 9800 and then after that well you are paying so much for a graphics card it isnt worth it. With the way technology is advancing the card u get today will tomorrow will be outdated but the 9600xt can easily ( and nicely ) play any game on the market

Prescott
18-12-2004, 09:25 PM
intergrated graphics i guess? or is there already a graphics card installed? if so which type? and what sort of model is your HP so we can find out your motherboard type and see the specs:)

a tip: when i upgraded from intergrated graphics to my radeon 9600SE (which is a not too bad card, cheap too) i have several problems, i would get random black screens and my games would not go and if they diid there was alot of lag, and eventually i reinstalled xp and the problem was solved, im guessing it was a driver clash, but i uninstalled the intergrated graphics drivers so :confused: and it still happend so xp must not have completely removed them, either re-install xp after you install the card or get driver cleaner, which may do the trick, actaully i wish someone told me about this app as i think i wouldnt have to do a reinstall of xp :(

installing a graphics card is pretty simple and im sure any one can do it :)
1. uninstall everything to do with your intergrated graphics
2. shutdown and unplug the computer from the wall and other hardware.
3. open your case, and make sure you ground yourself
4. find the agp slot and insert the card, make sure you put in all the way in the slot
5. if it is a newish/high powered card plug in the power plug to the psu
6. put the case back together
7. start pc and wait for xp to find the new hardware and it will ask you for the driver disk and then follow the onscreen instructions :)
8. go to your graphics card makers website and download the latest drivers and install them, but i recommend that you download these omega drivers (http://www.omegadrivers.net), they rock and are very stable and high performing.

you might also wanna get some more ram if your gonna get into gaming, and not to mention the cpu which is 1.7 Ghz but thats not _too_ bad, i have a 1.8A Ghz and its usable in games.

hope that helps