PDA

View Full Version : Dual booting Linux and Windows XP on a SATA RAID 0 Array.

Zygar
17-12-2004, 06:51 PM
I'm a Linux newbie- I've installed it ages ago on an old computer to mess around with. Anyway, I now wish to dual boot Linux Mandrake 10.0 with Windows XP Professional (SP2.)

Here's the problem. I have 2 Seagate Barracudas (200GB, 7200RPM, 8MB cache) in SATA RAID 0. My motherboard is a
MSI K8N Neo Platinum and the RAID controller is whatever the one NForce 3 uses, nvRaid I believe. I want to make another partition, say, 25GB, and load Linux Mandrake onto that. To partition I have a copy of PartitionMagic 8.0.

However, I have read that Linux support of fake raid is very poor, so I've decided to ask here how I can install Linux and get it working with SATA RAID without destroying all my data. (20GB of irreplaceable files- I really need an external HDD for backups.) I assume I will need drivers, as the Windows install needed them to see the drives. Are there drivers I can use or something? I do not want to do anything that will affect my Windows partition. Guides to dual booting Windows and Linux on SATA RAID 0? Any help will be much appreciated, thanks.

Murray P
17-12-2004, 07:18 PM
I've not had any experience of SATA raid but, I'd be inclined to get a smallish HDD and hook it up to your ATA interface. Leave your Windows stuff alone if you have stuff that you can't afford to lose, a cheap HDD will be good value.

From there you might want to check out boot loaders.

Chilling_Silence
17-12-2004, 08:02 PM
I agree, even a small 100mb PATA HDD would suffice for something like Fedora.

Basically if you throw your /boot partition onto the IDE HDD you shouldnt have worries.

I would be inclined to use Gentoo, as you'll learn a lot, and the support is out of this world! You'll be compiling your own kernel (If you want) so you know you'll have support for your hardware, and no extra bloat.

http://www.gentoo.org

Chill.