PDA

View Full Version : AVG 7 Upgrade

B.M.
17-12-2004, 05:13 PM
I think I might have an AVG problem.

I’ve updated to AVG7 and since then I have been unable to forward any mail, to anyone, other than Xtra customers. It just so happens that I updated yesterday at the same time Xtra had problems so they got blamed. I now have reason to “suspect” AVG as being the villain? In fact, I actually managed to get someone on Xtra’s help line and they suggested “Uninstall AVG”! Hmmm, must be a better way surely?

Anyone else had this problem?

Windows ME, OE6, AVG7, ISP’s Xtra & ClearNet (Xtra default Mail client.)

Cheers

Bob

beetle
17-12-2004, 05:21 PM
I havent had this problem, but am reluctant to install new version of avg since hearing of other people having similar probs to you.

quite a few have i think, dont know if or how they have fixed it ether?

:groan: sorry not much help but others out there may know what to do.

B.M.
17-12-2004, 05:27 PM
Trouble is Beetle their not updating the Virus definitions after the end of the month. (So I believe)

Rob99
17-12-2004, 05:35 PM
Just make sure you go through the email configuration and you should have no worries, alternativy just turn off the email scanner as xtra do this for you anyway.

FoxyMX
17-12-2004, 05:37 PM
Yes, I had a lot of grief with the new version of AVG with trying to send emails and have since switched to Avast! which gives no trouble.

Have a look at this thread (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?t=51438), specifically what R2x1 says about the email settings and see if that works for you. I did not try it myself.

Joe Blogs
17-12-2004, 06:12 PM
I think I might have an AVG problem.

I’ve updated to AVG7 and since then I have been unable to forward any mail, to anyone, other than Xtra customers. It just so happens that I updated yesterday at the same time Xtra had problems so they got blamed. I now have reason to “suspect” AVG as being the villain? In fact, I actually managed to get someone on Xtra’s help line and they suggested “Uninstall AVG”! Hmmm, must be a better way surely?

Anyone else had this problem?

Windows ME, OE6, AVG7, ISP’s Xtra & ClearNet (Xtra default Mail client.)

Cheers

Bob

Not sure if this was the problem but Xtra was having a few problems yesterday See "Network Status"
http://xtra.co.nz/help

B.M.
17-12-2004, 07:04 PM
Yes, I updated the same time as Xtra threw a wobbly yesterday so they got the blame. :)

Better apologise to them, as now I’ve read the links provided I think the problem is AVG. :mad:

Xtra blame them anyway. :D

I will toil on manfully, before spitting the dummy and chucking the whole thing out.

Pity they ruined a good programme, all in the name of progress.

How often have we seen that over the years??? :confused:

beetle
17-12-2004, 08:02 PM
Ok so how many times will it have pop ups to say upgrade? ive had at least 2 and clicked on install but chickened out and now its not popping up any more?
will have to go to the sight i guess and have a look.

is it worth the upgrade or just jump ship and get a new prog?

:@@:

FoxyMX
17-12-2004, 08:24 PM
I would recommend upgrading and seeing how you go. If you have problems you will soon know about it - the emails come back with a message that AVG could not deliver them. The emails can normally be re-sent later though sometimes you need to try several times or start a new email and copy the contents.

If you have those kind of problems then consider trying another program.

B.M.
17-12-2004, 09:07 PM
Ok, I think I’ve cracked it?

Try this:

Double Click AVG Desktop Icon.
Click Control Centre.
Click E-Mail Scanner.
Click Properties
Click Properties (Not the same one)
Click Servers
Highlight pop3 in E-Mail proxy server list
Click Modify
Type in your E-Mail settings (For Xtra pop3.xtra.co.nz port 110)
Highlight smtp in E-Mail proxy server list
Click modify
Type in your E-Mail settings (For Xtra smtp.xtra.co.nz port 25)
Delete any other settings
Click OK
Say a small prayer :D

Restart computer, and try not to swear if it doesn’t work.

Worked for me, but what a b….y rigmarole.

B.M.
17-12-2004, 09:09 PM
Ok, I think I’ve cracked it?

Try this:

Double Click AVG Desktop Icon.
Click Control Centre.
Click E-Mail Scanner.
Click Properties
Click Properties (Not the same one)
Click Servers
Highlight pop3 in E-Mail proxy server list
Click Modify
Type in your E-Mail settings (For Xtra pop3.xtra.co.nz port 110)
Highlight smtp in E-Mail proxy server list
Click modify
Type in your E-Mail settings (For Xtra smtp.xtra.co.nz port 25)
Delete any other settings
Click OK
Say a small prayer

Restart computer, and try not to swear if it doesn’t work.

Worked for me, but what a b….y rigmarole.

Merlin Ambrosius
17-12-2004, 09:14 PM
Have had the new AVG7 version since nov 11 and I have not had one problemo.

Took the old goat by the horns and just install it, it would get rid of the old 6 version in the process, but alass no :eek:

Have heard on the AVG forum site that it is advised to uninstall 6 first and to a clean install of 7.

Sorry I can not help with any problems, cause I have none. :eek: :thumbs:

cheers merlin a :eek:

beetle
17-12-2004, 09:27 PM
Ok installed it (now wish i hadnt) :eek:

and now doing a scan and mailwasher is throwing a hissy fit, keeps coming up : authentication failed. blah blah blah and plaintext password is not supported for this account???????/

help please!!!!!!!!! :@@: :@@: :@@:

beetle
17-12-2004, 09:34 PM
OK can that one went and checked in ZA and its changed a few things

(AVG did ) and so spewed all its probs to mailwasher and ZA.....Ho hum :@@: causing mailwasher and za to react not nicely.... :groan:

FoxyMX
17-12-2004, 09:46 PM
It's called a chain reaction. :D

beetle
17-12-2004, 09:51 PM
Well ill gladly give an hammer reaction next time...... :lol: :lol: :lol:

R2x1
17-12-2004, 11:32 PM
Why not take the easy, stress-free way out - get a penguin on your desktop and all is peaceful. And if apps can't run in Linux, throw 'em out. You will have so much spare time - - - - -

d_wong
18-12-2004, 12:30 AM
Hi,

I installed AVG 7 for the first time last week after my Nortons Antivirus expired & don't support SystemWorks 2001 anymore. I'm not having any problems so far. I run Win98SE & use Outlook Express. It scans my incoming e-mails okay. No problems sending e-mails either. Updates download fine too. :thumbs:

theother1
18-12-2004, 08:57 AM
I upgraded to AVG7 a month or so ago, with some trepidation, and I haven't had a single problem as yet(touching wood as I type this). As I recall I had to uninstall 6, but I think I did it after because it was running instead of 7.

FoxyMX
18-12-2004, 09:49 AM
There is no need to uninstall version 6 first as version 7 will automatically do it for you.

Slim
18-12-2004, 11:34 AM
Hi,

I installed AVG 7 for the first time last week after my Nortons Antivirus expired & don't support SystemWorks 2001 anymore. I'm not having any problems so far. I run Win98SE & use Outlook Express. It scans my incoming e-mails okay. No problems sending e-mails either. Updates download fine too. :thumbs:

Could you please mention which ISP you are using, is it xtra ?

B.M.
18-12-2004, 08:11 PM
Would seem to be a Xtra specific problem.

ClearNet was working for me, but Xtra would only forward to Xtra customers, until I made the adjustments described.

sarel
18-12-2004, 08:20 PM
Also on Clearnet, not problemo on AVG 7 - on me wife's laptop and on this PC

sarel

d_wong
20-12-2004, 11:33 PM
Could you please mention which ISP you are using, is it xtra ?

I'm with Paradise.

zqwerty
20-12-2004, 11:41 PM
Working fine on Clearnet for me.

drb1
20-12-2004, 11:57 PM
is it worth the upgrade or just jump ship and get a new prog?

:@@:[/QUOTE]

Beetle,

WE have untill the end of January, I am aware that patience is not a Beetle virtue.

WE have had this conversation before, the must haves are now sorting all the problems for us, 6 yes 6 Whole weeks is a lOOOOng time in the S/W game.

Thats how much time we have up our sleves. Countrys are conquered in less time than that.

Are there no gardens to weed, new plants to plant, staff or husbands to terrorize.

Let them must haves sort out all the problems for us, and we shall have a nice easy upgrade at the end of next month.

It would not supprise me in the least to see a new version 7.something buy then.

D.

EDIT

Too late, Beetle has been Beetle.

D.

beama
21-12-2004, 12:20 AM
I also had trouble with AVG 7 and email my cure was to disable out going email scanning done through control center, It still scans incoming

HTH

pheonix
21-12-2004, 09:05 AM
Beetle, there is a free replacement for AVG 6 free, it is AVG 7 free, here http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/lng/us/tpl/v5

If you have problems with the new AVG 7 free antivirus ..
Then, I would recommend you go to another free one called Avast. It also has automatic updating and mail scanning.
The other free AV is Antivir, but the free version doesn't do mail scanning.

Chris Randal
21-12-2004, 01:29 PM
OK can that one went and checked in ZA and its changed a few things

(AVG did ) and so spewed all its probs to mailwasher and ZA.....Ho hum :@@: causing mailwasher and za to react not nicely.... :groan:
Beetle, the Mailwasher problem is covered in the FAQ on the Grisoft website.

theother1
21-12-2004, 01:34 PM
I upgraded to AVG7 a month or so ago, with some trepidation, and I haven't had a single problem as yet(touching wood as I type this). As I recall I had to uninstall 6, but I think I did it after because it was running instead of 7.

In fact I think now that AVG 7 overwrote AVG 6. But I have had no problems with it.
Do It!!!!! :thumbs:

Woof
21-12-2004, 01:43 PM
On the weekend I downloaded it from Downloads.com and chose the customize install. I recall a choice therein regarding email and must have guessed right ! as I have not had any problems since. Also I have since got rid of the auto-update etc annoyances :p

Win ME and OE 6, Clearnet as ISP (yes, the same Clearnet who charge for webhosting without doing it and claim that because you paid it the charge stays)

HOWEVER, I WAS very surprised/aggravated by the backup disk creation scenario which required 4 floppies !!!! Luckily I had a spare box full. Pleased though that this scenario also included the Format Floppy options :thumbs: Somehow I believe that program vendors (eg: Micro$oft) can do more to prevent installers being CONFRONTED by such surprises by being more forthcoming right up front. :mad:
Also I recall that I had to search to get a clue as to 1) how big is the download file, and 2) whether or not to UNinstall previous versions before installing the new.

And another thing; Why CAUSE such dilemma at this time of the year, when much of the Christian/Capitalist world is distracted by the "Festive Season" ? Surely the dat files for version 6 could be continued until 31 JAN 2005 ....

But that would all be too simple I suppose (KISS comes to mind) :thumbs:

PS: Xtra have been having MAJOR problems and using a variety of tricks to minimise their issues (tricks like blocking you from downloading xtra mail while logged in on another isp, I believe) Has been affecting ALL xtra dialups

Cptn Hotshot
21-12-2004, 01:44 PM
If you are having a problem, the issue is in getting the correct settings set up for POP3 and SMTP.

The POP3 port setting = 110
The SMTP port setting = 25

Make sure you also disable email scanning in ZoneAlarm (that is if you are using ZA).

The above settings work for Ihug and Xtra and presume they should also work for other ISPs as well. Have set up 4 computers with AVG7 applying the above settings and have had no problems at all. This is on systems running XP and Win98.

HTH

PaulD
21-12-2004, 02:54 PM
And another thing; Why CAUSE such dilemma at this time of the year, when much of the Christian/Capitalist world is distracted by the "Festive Season" ? Surely the dat files for version 6 could be continued until 31 JAN 2005 ....

But that would all be too simple I suppose (KISS comes to mind) :thumbs:

If you didn't want the hassle now you could've updated mid November.

110 and 25 are the port numbers used by the ISP. If you are getting email scanned using the AVG email scanner proxy, it will use those ports to the ISP and typically something like 1110 and 1025 to talk to your email program.

FoxyMX
21-12-2004, 02:55 PM
If you are having a problem, the issue is in getting the correct settings set up for POP3 and SMTP.

The POP3 port setting = 110
The SMTP port setting = 25
I ditched AVG after the upgrade caused me so much grief with sending emails but as far as I could see you needed to enter those settings into each email account in AVG. That put me off as I couldn't be bothered doing that for over half a dozen accounts on each computer. :annoyed:

beetle
21-12-2004, 09:38 PM
LOL so beetle did this and beetle does that... but beetle never listens and wonders why she gets into strife.... LOL heard it all before and have upgraded fine and no more probs with AVG 7.

Only one little pain is the little box that pops up out of the tray when avg 7 email scan or whatever is doing its thing,

patience is not a virtue of mine purely for the fact if i wait then its too late or i never have time to revisit or i forget what i was doing before and then complain about the same thing months later.....

i need a diary that follows me around that i can write in every mintue of the day, the important things...... like order this, reply to that, update this....cos it doesnt happen other wise.

yeah and i say jump, do a restore point before and all should be good.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Famous last words...................

this is beetle remember dont ever listen to her waffle will get you in trouble for sure.

:thumbs: ;)

PaulD
21-12-2004, 10:02 PM
Only one little pain is the little box that pops up out of the tray when avg 7 email scan or whatever is doing its thing,

There is a tick box that stops that pop up somewhere in the AVG EMS configuration.

beetle
12-01-2005, 05:09 PM
Ok so Foxy darling what did you replace AVG with if you removed it from all your comps????????

i havent had any more major probs, just get the return mail thing cos it was not picked up or retreived etc.....so still sitting on the fence nicely here.......
not deciding...... :rolleyes:

beetle