PDA

View Full Version : New IE vulnerability

robsonde
17-12-2004, 03:12 PM
news from /.

A new vulnerability has been announced in Internet Explorer, also affecting XP SP2, which can very easily be exploited by a malicious web site to completely spoof the address bar. The vulnerability is very similar to another vulnerability disclosed just about a year ago called the '%00' vulnerability, which also was widely exploited by phishers.

no patch at this time

solution??
get firefox :-)

b1naryb0y
17-12-2004, 03:16 PM
I can't keep up with all these "new" vulnerabilities. Was this new today or amongst the flood of exploits announced yesterday....?

Odin
17-12-2004, 03:36 PM
I agree use firefox. I just can't keep up with all the fixes and downloads needed just to use IE.

Speedy Gonzales
17-12-2004, 03:41 PM
Opera is better than FF with the tabs. At least Opera opens sites in another tab. I tried FF, u haveta add then open the tabs if u want tabbing. Opera's is easier to configure.

b1naryb0y
17-12-2004, 03:49 PM
Opera is better than FF with the tabs. At least Opera opens sites in another tab. I tried FF, u haveta add then open the tabs if u want tabbing. Opera's is easier to configure.

Tools > Options > Advanced > Tabbed Browsing > "Open links from other Applications in:"

a new window
a new tab in the most recent window
the most recent tab/window

ILikeLinux
17-12-2004, 03:51 PM
Tools > Options > Advanced > Tabbed Browsing > "Open links from other Applications in:"

a new window
a new tab in the most recent window
the most recent tab/window
Or in Linux: Edit > Preferences > The rest is quoted.

Speedy Gonzales
17-12-2004, 04:07 PM
Yup i tried all of those options. Didnt do much.

Oh well doesnt matter, I'll stick with Opera

Edward
17-12-2004, 04:31 PM

it's all better than Internet Exploderô :D

FoxyMX
17-12-2004, 04:43 PM

I don't want to cause you to move from Opera (use it myself - it's the best!) but others may be interested to know that you can open links in new tabs in the background in Firefox by holding down Ctrl while clicking on the links. :)

Edward
17-12-2004, 04:47 PM
also, if you have a 3button or wheel mouse, if you click on a link with middle button/scroll, it'll open in a new tab

MMM
17-12-2004, 05:34 PM
news from /.solution?? get firefox :-)Solution for me will be to keep my security preferences in IE high as poss, virus and malware programs uptodate and used regularly, and stick to safe sites till patch arrives. I have yet to get a Virus or Trojan in IE simply from taking care when on the Net.
Have tried Firefox and Opera. Preferred Opera out of the 2. Also still using Avant browser as well which is good for tabs and rss feeds.

But I really do appreciate your posting a warning for IE users like myself re: vulnerability, especially in light of the fact that your personal preference is FirefoxI had not heard of this one. Thanks :thumbs:

MMM
17-12-2004, 05:52 PM
One more go at smilies :thumbs:
Was trying to give you some thumbs up, but find that sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. I give up!

Jester
17-12-2004, 05:57 PM
also, if you have a 3button or wheel mouse, if you click on a link with middle button/scroll, it'll open in a new tab

Yep, that's what I do, and then get p**d off at work on IE when the screen starts scrolling when opening links lol
:groan:

Prescott
18-12-2004, 09:10 PM
its about time MS releases another one of those update cds, they are brilliant, i have one here from feb 2004, they are free and they certianly save the download :)