PDA

View Full Version : FTP help needed please

Glassman
17-12-2004, 03:10 PM
I have just gone from dial-up to jetstream and am wanting to download a linux distro via the linux-jetstream ftp server. i have worked out how to change my log in so i can access the server and it not affect my monthly limit.

But i am not sure which folder to download once i have decided which distro i want.

Sorry if this is very basic but i have never done this before

Thanks in advance for any help

b1naryb0y
17-12-2004, 03:24 PM
Navigate to the folder of the distro you want and download the individual *.iso files, these will usually be found in the ISO folder

Some folders are just symbolic links (shortcuts) to other folders and therefore cannot be downloaded, and a lot of FTPs do not allow you to download folders anyway.

Jen
17-12-2004, 03:39 PM
If you are unsure what ISO you need to download, let us know what Distro you are after and we can list the ISO filename(s) you require. Some also might have SRPM in their file names, but these are source ISO's images and you do not need those.

Greg
17-12-2004, 05:13 PM
Glassman - it's not actually FTP help you need there is it...? Because you can download it from their FTP server via your browser, which doesn't require FTP commands knowledge or a client. However if it's specifically how to access their files via FTP that you want help with, that's a different matter - so if that's the case plz advise.

Glassman
17-12-2004, 05:33 PM
Thanks for your help everyone.
I am after the fedora core 3 distro

Glassman
17-12-2004, 05:35 PM
Also i forgot to ask when i have downloaded them how do you go about burning them on to cd"s in the correct order.

The burning software i will be using is Nero 6

Jen
17-12-2004, 05:40 PM
For Fedora Core 3 you need these ISO's from here:
ftp://linux.jetstreamgames.co.nz/dist/fedora/3/i386/iso/

File: FC3-i386-disc1.iso
File: FC3-i386-disc2.iso
File: FC3-i386-disc3.iso
File: FC3-i386-disc4.iso

Once downloaded, you need to check out the md5sums to confirm the download was not corrupted, and then use Nero to burn the files as a image.

b1naryb0y
17-12-2004, 05:45 PM
1. Launch Nero.
2. Choose File, Burn Image and you'll be presented with a dialog box.
3. Click on the Files of type: dropdown box and select All Files (*.*).
4. Select the .ISO file you downloaded then press Open.
5. Next, Nero will show another dialog box of CD burning options. Accept the defaults:
6. Choose OK.
7. The Write CD dialog box should appear next.
8. Make sure Write, Finalize CD, and Disc-At-Once are checked, then choose Write.

Once finished, don't forget to label them :thumbs:

Glassman
18-12-2004, 12:58 AM
And for my last question

How do i check md5 sums using win xp home

Thanks in advance for the help