PDA

View Full Version : LCD Monitor feedback

Davesdad
17-12-2004, 02:58 PM
I am looking at buying a 17" Lcd monitor in the not to distant future. I will be using it for just about anything (watching DVD, playing Game, Office etc) and would like some feedback from users on image quality, response time, contrast, brightness, colour reproduction, ease of use etc of various monitors. looking at the spec doesn't give a clear picture of how good a monitor is and I haven't been able to find any decent comparrisons or reviews on the net.

b1naryb0y
17-12-2004, 03:34 PM
Don't buy an LCD monitor without previewing it in a shop first. Ask the staff if you can test it by playing a game, watching a movie etc.

You want to test how it looks under different lighting conditions, and whether you get much image ghosting when fast movement occurs.

Also, be aware of the native output resolution of the LCD, as decreasing it when playing a game can make everything look blury. If you intend on playing games at the native resolution, then make sure your video card can handle it.

Davesdad
17-12-2004, 04:54 PM
Don't buy an LCD monitor without previewing it in a shop first. Ask the staff if you can test it by playing a game, watching a movie etc.

You want to test how it looks under different lighting conditions, and whether you get much image ghosting when fast movement occurs.

Also, be aware of the native output resolution of the LCD, as decreasing it when playing a game can make everything look blury. If you intend on playing games at the native resolution, then make sure your video card can handle it.

Getting to a shop is a problem at the moment. I'd have to travel out of town to find a shop hence the request for user feedback.

My video card is a GeForce FX 5900

Shortcircuit
17-12-2004, 05:13 PM
I have just purchased a new LCD after much procrastination (fairly normal for me). I came to the conclusion that more expensive is generally still best when it comes to LCDs.

The big problem in NZ is that not many stores actually stock a range of brands for you to compare so I found reviews on the net and read up as best I could. Harvey Norman seem to the the only place that keep a few decent brands and looking will give you some idea of the range of quality screens.

The main issues for me were:

I don't like crap manufacturing ie cheap plastic everywhere

The colour repro had to be near as good as my old 17' CRT for graphics work

I ended up buying Samsung 193P sight unseen (yep expensive, but not as expensive as some) Has metal frame/stand, high contrast, amazingly good colour reproduction, DVI digital input. Also works wonderfully at different resolutions and at least as good as my CRT for sharpness even at 800x600 res. It only has 25ms 'refresh' but for all the carry on about low refresh rates and ghosting I can't see a problem when playing normal videos... might be a problem when playing 'shoot em up' games though.

It also comes with several software monitor adjustment programs and these are a must if you want decently adjusted colour/brightness etc... although if you're lucky (?) enough to have a newish Nvidea based video card (mine's only a geforce 5500) the display setting adjustments from the card work brilliantly.

HTH

Short

Murray P
17-12-2004, 05:17 PM
LCD's are still not the best for graphics, but if you like to be in for a cheap deal check out PC Gear (http://www.pcgear.co.nz/customer/product.php?productid=94896) for a $350 + GST 17" LCD

Greg
17-12-2004, 05:41 PM
LCD's are still not the best for graphics, but if you like to be in for a cheap deal check out PC Gear (http://www.pcgear.co.nz/customer/product.php?productid=94896) for a $350 + GST 17" LCD

It's a pretty well known fact that CRT's are superior when it comes to high-end graphics, and this really comes into it's own when gaming. If I was you I'd save a bundle of cash and get a CRT for now, or wait until the technology or LCD's smarts up.

If your main priority is regular stuff... Office type applications, Internet etc, then the LCD is a more pleasant option.

scottiedave
17-12-2004, 07:28 PM
As I know the best image quality for LCD monitor which rekoned by most of the people around the world is Sharp , but like Sharp NZ doesnt bring in any PC LCD monitors , the only monitor they got there is the LCD TV monitor which is more expensive ~ :@@: . I might get a Sharp LCD monitor someday in overseas`~ :rolleyes:

~sy~
17-12-2004, 07:50 PM
I have bought my second CMV monitor. Very good pricing and response rate -to be honest, you're not going to notice a 10ms difference... CMV are very well priced. I have being told by a a member of management in a competitor to CMV's Australiasian distributor that they are cutting the prices very heavily to try gain market share. I have always being very impressed with the CMV monitors. I got mine for $349+GST. It is the CT726D. Comes with DVI and all the rest. Very impressed. I don't think you need to spend x amount more to get a Philip or something. CMV are just latecomers into the Australiasian market. They are a very good brand at very good price. I see they've just got some 8ms response time ones out. Not sure if it's my luck, but I've had about one or two dead/bright pixels in both the monitors I've bought.

Good Luck,

lagbort
17-12-2004, 08:32 PM
I have a pair of Philips 170B4 17inch lcd monitors here that my parents bought for the home office, needless to say when mum stopped bringing her laptop home to work on I nicked her one and I am currently working on how to fit the crt on dads desk so I can steal his one as well...

But back on topic, i find these to be absolutely great, my only gripe with them is that movies and videos tend ot look a lot darker, but hey, thats why my secondary monitor is a crt :cool:

Davesdad
17-12-2004, 09:12 PM
Thanks for your replys. I might have to keep my money in the bank until I get an opportunity to head down to Harvey Norman and see how they compare with a CRT. It's a lot of money to spend without being sure of being satisfied with the product.

manicminer
17-12-2004, 09:16 PM
Is money an issue?
If not, splash out and get a widescreen. I got a Samsung Syncmaster 172W from Harvey Norman for $850. Admittedly it's the only part of my system I really splashed out on but as it's the bit I look at the most then I thought it was the most important.
It really makes a huge difference for watching those movies. Useful for games too by the way. Having a wider view of the playing field on Fifa 2005 makes a big difference. :)
Also useful for office applications, especially if you've got a few things going at the same time. You have a bit more screen space to play around with.
If you go widescreen, you will never want to go back.

Shortcircuit
18-12-2004, 04:24 PM
Hi davesdad,

If you have a look at PCWorld.com (not the NZ PCworld) they have comparisons for LCDs (some you can get here, some you can't) They also have a pretty informative rundown on different things to look for in LCDs.

S