PDA

View Full Version : skype

theother1
17-12-2004, 12:00 PM
I have just heard about this outfit on the radio. Sounds too good to be true. Is anyone familiar with it? What sort of headset is required? will the one for my cell phone work?
http://www.skype.com/products/

ILikeLinux
17-12-2004, 12:06 PM
Ok, all what you need is headphones (or speakers) and a microphone.

these simply pluginto your soundcard and skype uses them to talk to other skype users on the interweb.

skype is simply very good quality voip client.

theother1
17-12-2004, 12:08 PM
What other options are there along these lines. I would certainly like to get rid of my toll bill.

ILikeLinux
17-12-2004, 12:11 PM
Skype can not dial actual telephones, the other people need to have skype installed on their computer and online to answer your call.

This can help remove your toll bill, also skype works fine over 56k.

theother1
17-12-2004, 01:16 PM
Skype can not dial actual telephones, the other people need to have skype installed on their computer and online to answer your call.

According to the latest on their site you can use skypeout and call people on their phonelines for 1.7euro cents per minute (about 3cent NZ). Even that is tempting and will certainly reduce my tolls. The only catch is that you have to prepay. I might give it a whirl with ten dollars and see what happens. Now whare can I get a headset. Ahhhh Pricespy.

Big John
17-12-2004, 06:04 PM

Not true. The later version have an option to dial out to the real world. You need to buy credits first but it is still a heck of a lot cheaper than toll calls. My relative from Holland called using Skype about 4 months ago to our real phone and it was really clear. There was the odd bit of drop out but very little.

Bazza
17-12-2004, 06:25 PM
I've often used similar VOIP applications like Skype. As you've learned Skype looks very good, free to call others PC to PC, & even if one pays to call PC to phone.

As to headsets. Some people prefer these for privacy reasons, but if you have PC speakers as most do, all you need is a PC microphone. These are available for about $10 from the likes of DSE & Warehouse Stationery.

Thats what I prefer. It works fine, but you'll need to setup the Windows Vol control mixers correctly. i.e. in the record mixer tick to 'select' the mic so others can hear you. In the playback mixer tick to 'mute' the mic so that your mic does not feedback through the speakers, plus check that the Wave sound is not muted, thats how you hear others. This is the way to do it for mic & speakers and it will also work for a headset.

I hope that maybe helpful for you.

M_M
17-12-2004, 07:19 PM
I have used Skype to place calls from my PC to mobiles - personally I found that there was quite a bit of latency in the call, to the point of being annoying. Haven't tried PC to landline. From PC to PC, no problem and good sound quality.

Chilling_Silence
17-12-2004, 08:03 PM
There are now DECT Phones that can use either landlines like a normal phone, or plug it into your PC via USB and use it with Skype.

SkypeOut is great, cheap calls around the world :-)

manicminer
17-12-2004, 09:10 PM
Yep SKype gets big ups from me.
However, it's not perfect. I've not tried PC to landlline but PC to PC has been pretty good. Occasionally though it does sound like you are talking down a pipe and you have to put up with it cutting out.
Suggest when you use it that you dedicate all available bandwith to Skype (and make sure the user at the other end also does this).
I haven't tried Skype since changing to Bitstream. I wonder if the apparently poorer latency will have any effect.

alan wise
17-12-2004, 10:54 PM
Hi, I use skype pc to telephone, calling family i find it works better than pots.My ancient parents (U.K.) can use a handset each and hear me without any sound loss, something not possible with pots from my home (might need new phones :rolleyes: )

alan