PDA

View Full Version : LCD Screen graphics

Sapperbro
17-12-2004, 11:08 AM
Some time ago (4-7 months), I posted a request for help concerning the graphics display on an LCD screen when browsing the web. Parts of graphics were missing, the display was washed out with excessive white areas and the fonts were somewhat jaggy. I think it was Susan B who came up with the solution and it worked. Unfortunately I can't remember the place I wrote down the fix. I have had to reinstall XP Pro again and lost all the earlier settings. I think the fix was somewhere in the basic colour setting for Accessibility. Could I please ask again. This time it will go into my long list of fixes in a secure place. (My wife's wallet).
Thanks,
Sapperbro

agent
17-12-2004, 11:24 AM
It wouldn't have been turning on ClearType (http://www.microsoft.com/typography/cleartype/tuner/1.htm), would it?

Try that out in any case.

Graham L
17-12-2004, 11:31 AM
An LCD display has a fixed number of pixels in the X and Y directions, unlike a CRT. If you don't feed it with the right resolution, it will get indigestion. :)

Robby
18-12-2004, 06:45 AM
gidday,

Microsoft have a free 'cleartype tuner' that helps fine tune the fonts and graphics,
of lcd screens you can use their web page to tune, or download and install the
software. I had front and graphic problems and it worked great for me, I have been able to tune it to a lower resolution too.

good luck,

Robby

R.M.
18-12-2004, 10:43 AM
Hi there - am I right in understanding this Clear Type Tuner only works in Windows XP? :confused:

godfather
18-12-2004, 10:55 AM
Correct.

Clear Type uses "sub-pixel rendering" and is only designed for LCD screens.

I use it, and when using the "native resolution" of the LCD screen, the individual pixels in text "dissapear" and make text look like typeset.

eat soap
18-12-2004, 12:22 PM
Set your screen to its native resolution. if it is a 15"" screen, it will probably be 1024x768, if its 17" it will probably be 1280x1024. you will be able to find the native resolution in the manual

Graham L
18-12-2004, 02:57 PM
But GF, what does the screen look like when you don't use the native resolution?

Sapperbro
18-12-2004, 04:34 PM
Many thanks, all, for the suggestions. Have yet to go and download Cleartype Tuner. The main problem is still the washed out icons and graphics, many of the dialog boxes are missing their sharp frames. I have spent some hours going back over past postings and found my original back in 14.4.04. Beama came up with Control panel-Accessibility Option-display tab- remove tick in high contrast. That worked that time but not this time. My data bases have all lost their grid lines and turning them on again in the datasheet formatting has not worked so it is a general display setting somewhere. The natural resolution is 1280 x1024 with fonts set normal. So, where to from here?
Ken

godfather
18-12-2004, 05:46 PM
As this happened after you installed XP, the probability is that you are running on default Windows video card/chipset drivers.

Reload the correct drivers for your system and it should all come right?

Sapperbro
18-12-2004, 11:12 PM
Not so, Godfather. I have a set sequence when reinstalling. The first thing is my set of drivers are held in a special folder on my second hard drive and I set all drivers first thing after installing the OS. I have in fact just found the answer, I worry the gear and tinker till I think I've covered all the bases. I found that somehow the screen contrast had been locked in at 100% and on moving it back to 59%, the background colour and shading has come back into all my dialog boxes. This has now been added to my check list in a folder (manual) that I keep on my bookshelf in the office.
Been nice talking to you guys and thanks for the suggestions.
Have a safe festive season, we may need your advice in the future.
Regards,
Ken