PDA

View Full Version : New case for a Dell

Boxy
17-12-2004, 11:07 AM
Hi;

I have a Dell Dimension 4600C - Slim form factor case, and want to add a firewire card and DVD writer. My discussions with Dell have confirmed that with my existing case I can't add a firewire card, so I am looking at the option of transferring the entire contents of my Dell case to a new bigger case, which would enable me to fit a firewire card and a new internal DVD writer.
I am thinking about getting a Thermatake case, - does anyone have any advice on what I am about to do and suggestions on the case type? - thanks :confused:

tweak'e
17-12-2004, 11:18 AM
a standard case will be big enough.

however i would first look closely at the motherboard mounts as i have seen some dells which have non-standard mounts/sizes and will not fit a non-dell cases.

george12
17-12-2004, 12:30 PM
If you get the dreaded blank screen, no beeps when you turn it back on, 4 times out of 5 for PCs I repair (if they've got a new mobo or case) it is that a mounting pin is in the wrong place and shorting something. In most cases (excuse the pun), it will not damage the motherboard, but be careful - there is always an exception. Often involving smoke and sometimes flames.

So double check that all the metal brackets line up!

noone
17-12-2004, 12:49 PM
i would think that dells have their own form factor knowing them ( they seem to have different everything so you have to buy through them. Worse case you may just need to drill some holes in your new case ( and hopefully the back panels will still line up )

b1naryb0y
17-12-2004, 12:56 PM
Some Dells also use a non ATX conforming Power Supply, so it may pay to check if it will fit your new case.
If it doesn't then you will need to purchase a new one, which is probably best anyway if you are planning on upgrading other components.

Metla
17-12-2004, 01:00 PM
Basic upgrade guide for a supermarket PC.

1.Place for sale add in local paper.
2.Exchange supermarket PC for cash with lucky punter who happened to read the add.
3.Buy a non-supermarket PC.

Alpha
17-12-2004, 01:21 PM
I liked the design of the Thermaltake cases when they came out but all the reviews I have read say they are very noisy (6-7 fans). For the ultimate in quiet cases consider a Zalman case or cooler. Very expensive but very cool. :cool:

noone
17-12-2004, 01:59 PM
they normally just look good- often made from bad / cheap materials. There are better cases out there but are often VERY expensive.

Metla
17-12-2004, 02:06 PM
Can't stand the sight of most thermaltake cases myself, although the new plain (by there standards) ones with the curved front are quite easy on the eye.

If i was going to spend a whack of cash on a case i would take a Lan-li anyday....

Jams
17-12-2004, 05:12 PM
Hi there.

Thermaltake cases are crap. Talking to all Tech shop owners and friends who own them tell me they do nothing for cooling no matter how many fans you have, and you have to wear a belt just to lift the damn things.

~sy~
17-12-2004, 08:01 PM
I personally wouldn't go for Thermaltakes -I think they're much overpriced for what they are. You will really be paying for the flashy designs which do not add any benefit to the whole performace of the computer.

Be very careful with upgrading any supermarket PC. Watch for the power supply (which most likely will have to be transferred too). There may be problems with the fitting -e.g. where the screws go and so on...

R2x1
17-12-2004, 08:26 PM
You can get a NEW case for a Dell, but, I never heard that anyone could make a good case for a Dell

noone
17-12-2004, 10:37 PM
dells suck , thermaltake sucks , but what doesnt suck , cooler master cases and especially the one which is $400 and has 10 5.25 inch drive bays

drb1
18-12-2004, 04:04 PM
Noone, most unlikly dell board going NICLEY into non dell case.

It will probably fit into a large older (Dell) one you can get for dirt though.

D.

noone
18-12-2004, 05:20 PM
yeah but that case is just so cool

Growly
18-12-2004, 08:00 PM
Although personally I wouldn't recommend gutting a Dell and shifting it (as it's just a waste of time), you could just buy a plain old case (that comes with a new power supply) and provided that the motherboard fits you could just put everything in it. Other than that, you could make like Metla and just... buy a new PC.

The other question is whether it will still be under warranty, presumably not - if it even has a warranty at the moment.

Now, because I am insecure, constantly insulted and otherwise unstable, and I own a Thermaltake case, i feel the need to defend myself:

Thermaltake cases are crap. Talking to all Tech shop owners and friends who own them tell me they do nothing for cooling no matter how many fans you have, and you have to wear a belt just to lift the damn things.[/qoute]

Thanks for the blanket statement - my case is not "crap". It may weigh 20Kg, and cools quite sufficiently indeed.

[quote]You will really be paying for the flashy designs which do not add any benefit to the whole performace of the computer.

Granted, these cases are, as was put to me, 'ricey' - but the price is not simply 'flashy designs'. I can only judge this on my own case, but I believe that a greater part of what I paid for was the build quality of the thing. Funny story - wall walking down the stairs with it i tripped, fell and hit the floor - damaging myself and the wall, but not the case. Besides, I like what my case looks like.

thermaltake sucks

I'm going to cry now.

The point is that any case, even a cheap $40 one will do, provided that the Dell will handle a transplant in the first place, and if you like the look of a case then by all means go for it - cause you're the one who has to live with it.

Another funny story, my Thermaltake has an LED where no one can ever see it - pity because it's the one that cycles through 7 colours and looks flash - well, would look flash.

drb1
18-12-2004, 10:10 PM
Cool costs man, in agrovation as well as cash some times.

D.

~sy~
18-12-2004, 10:28 PM

2.Exchange supermarket PC for cash with lucky punter who happened to read the add.

Having given your case slightly more thought, I'd have to finalise my suggestion with an acceptance of what metla has suggested. You are not only wanting a case -but more importantly the firewire card and DVD Writer.

So why not sell off the PC you have now and buy a new one. To save on costs, you could build yourself from components sourced from retailers as listed in PriceSpy (http://www.pricespy.co.nz). I don't think you'll need to pay much more, if not equal, than what you would have to pay now. And also, you could have a nice upgrade along the way :) ..

Could also have it done and wrapped up for before Christmas :thumbs:

alphazulusixeightniner
18-12-2004, 10:58 PM

Lmao, so true :lol:

Do you not have any room in your Dell case for a PCI card? Your could buy an Audigy card, they come with Firewire. Then you get Awesome sound + firewire.

Growly
18-12-2004, 11:45 PM
I live deep deep deep underground.

Boxy
19-12-2004, 11:11 AM
Thank you for all your suggestions and comments - certainly has given me something to think about over christmas.
:thumbs: