PDA

View Full Version : Post signers

alphazulusixeightniner
16-12-2004, 10:41 PM
Quite a good poll I think. :D Should post signers put their post signage in their signature?

E.g.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

If it was in their signature it would only have to be downloaded once, but everytime they make a new post, we have to re-download their damn post signage.

My points are:
* Saved diskspace
* Saved bandwidth
* Less annoyance for all

noone
16-12-2004, 10:44 PM
i would think putting system stats in the sig will be the best use - save the time of having to put them in on all your posts

alphazulusixeightniner
16-12-2004, 10:48 PM
Darn you can't edit polls. :confused: Got a bit of a typo in there, nevermind. :o

agent
16-12-2004, 10:49 PM
It's a nice theory, but in reality it doesn't really save anything.

As a client to the forum software, when you request a thread the server will pull together the various bits and pieces that make it up and send it your way. Any signatures that people have make up part of the page, and aren't cached in the way that images are. They can't be, because they aren't separate items. It's possible to make them separate items, but it's not worth it.

Why not just turn off signatures in your settings, and lobby people who don't make use of the ability to set a signature to use it? That's what it's there for, anybody who doesn't use it but posts a signature is creating grief for those of us who don't want to see them (myself included).

Rob99
16-12-2004, 10:51 PM
I've turned all that off so I dont see the signatures

alphazulusixeightniner
16-12-2004, 10:56 PM
Why not just turn off signatures in your settings, and lobby people who don't make use of the ability to set a signature to use it? That's what it's there for, anybody who doesn't use it but posts a signature is creating grief for those of us who don't want to see them (myself included).

Yes that's a possibility, but not what I'm getting at. The post signers (you know who you are) put their signage in the body of every post they make. I'm saying stick it in the signature. :rolleyes:

noone
16-12-2004, 10:58 PM
but we see yours binary boy

R2x1
16-12-2004, 11:00 PM
Me too, as well, also. Unanimously.

beetle
17-12-2004, 12:07 AM
Post signing is an image thing isnt it? to bamboozle or make one laugh at ones inside joke is it not?

or is it so we remember who or what we are? possibly they all one and the same.....
maybe we need to get a life beyound the screen......
maybe........ start tomorow.....
:p

MMM
17-12-2004, 12:41 AM
Can't see whats wrong with post signing. Same as people who are now putting quotes or whatever under the line at the end of their posts. What's the difference?
It's amusing watching the people try to up their post count though. But guess at this stage they could be just trying everything out like I'm trying to do.

agent
17-12-2004, 12:53 AM
Same as people who are now putting quotes or whatever under the line at the end of their posts.

Those are signatures. Everything appearing under the line is part of the signature that you specify in the User CP.

There is a reason that signatures are set separately - it enables people to disable the displaying of them.

However, some people abuse this and suffix a signature to their post either in addition to or instead of using a signature as set in the User CP.

I've disabled the displaying of signatures for a reason, as have other people. That is why I believe signatures should be confined to what you set in the User CP.

Metla
17-12-2004, 12:53 AM
I believe the theory is that if they put there name in as a sig those that can't sleep at night due to others signing off a post with their names can disable viewing of sigs,thus never have to see a "Cheers Billy 8-{)" again , enabling them to get a good nights rest.

Cheers

Metla 8====={)

bugger,too slow

MMM
17-12-2004, 03:21 AM
However, some people abuse this and suffix a signature to their post either in addition to or instead of using a signature as set in the User CP. Don't want to appear too pedantic over this issue, but does this post signing affect the speed on your computer or what exactly is abusive about post signing? I often see people going on about it but can't see what the problem is. We add emoticons, some are very adept at creating pictures with lines,etc. Some don't even answer, they just post an emoticon or lol etc. I rather like Billy T's signoff, but guess it's just personal preference. Surely it's a very minor issue. I'm happy with what people want to put in their posts. It's kind of like a bit of their personality showing. By the way, very taken with Metla's signature. :D

agent
17-12-2004, 09:24 AM
For me it's personal preference. I didn't mind signatures on the old forum, but since you can disable the displaying of them in this one, I'd prefer not to see them.

noone
17-12-2004, 09:28 AM
bettle i see you have turned up

Winston001
17-12-2004, 09:52 AM
Welcome Beet. And I'm with Rob and Agent. I detest the signatures. Happily I've turned them off.

My objection is that they are usually made up of inane aphorisms (sayings) which are amusing or interesting the first time but a distraction forever after.

I find posts much easier to read and faster to scan over without the signatures.

agent
17-12-2004, 10:03 AM
Maybe it's just my interpretation, but isn't Post signers! Grab your pitchforks!! the option you would choose if you did post signing and wanted to defend your position?

I was a little surprised to see ninja voted for that option, and then to see you, Winston, say you don't want to see signatures, but vote for the aforementioned option, that threw me.

So, have I interpreted it wrong, or has somebody else?

Winston001
17-12-2004, 10:18 AM
I assumed it meant that post signers were devils/witches and needed to be attacked vigorously by the common folk.:D

Metla
17-12-2004, 10:24 AM
Harsh justice.

Supose we can be glad your not a judge...........yet.

Winston001
17-12-2004, 11:08 AM
Rest assured Metla, if you ever come before me, you will be treated with courtesy and due consideration. Then you'll be sentenced to burn in the fires of damnation until you truely repent.;)

We once had a Judge whom we called "Smiling Death". He would lean forward and smile at the Defendant, and in a kindly voice send him off for two years in prison. And he'd finish by mildly saying "and don't do it again". You should have seen the looks on the faces of defendants waiting to be called.:eek:

Biggles
17-12-2004, 11:14 AM
There's an old English comedy skit - may have been Peter Cook, can't remember - which starts with a Judge going "... you have been found guilty by this court and will be taken from here to a place of execution and there hung by the neck until you are dead ..."

At which point there is a cough, and the lawyer for the prosecution interrupts ...

"Milord, the defendant has been convicted of riding his bicycle without a light"

"Oh. Very well you are fined a shilling. (pause) .... And my God have mercy on your soul"

Cptn Hotshot
17-12-2004, 11:29 AM
Cant see what the issue is ... like it or hate it, it is no different from having to wade through posts which have meaningless content, like this.

In the meantime, .....

Graham L
17-12-2004, 11:38 AM
If you must have a signature, put it in the signature slot. That's what it's for.

I've disabled display of signature. That's what the disable facility is for :D

alphazulusixeightniner
17-12-2004, 02:00 PM
I assumed it meant that post signers were devils/witches and needed to be attacked vigorously by the common folk.:D

Rofl. Yep, that's what that option means. :D We even have godfather's support on that one. ;)

Mike
17-12-2004, 08:18 PM
I always put my name at the end of a post. To me it's polite. And really, do a few extra characters make that much of a difference, compared to all the extra stuff we get on each page?

I guess I'm going to be sentenced now without a trial - ah well, that's life.

Mike.

R2x1
17-12-2004, 08:37 PM
. . . I guess I'm going to be sentenced now without a trial - ah well, that's life.

Mike.

See if Winston001 can plead for you, that seems like a manifestly excessive sentence

Jester
17-12-2004, 08:56 PM
My objection is that they are usually made up of inane aphorisms (sayings) which are amusing or interesting the first time but a distraction forever after.

Thanks for my new sig, Winston!!
__________________________________________________ _______

Here is my inane aphorism!

:D

Billy T
17-12-2004, 10:13 PM
thus never have to see a "Cheers Billy 8-{)" againWhy pick on me metla? Plenty of others sign too, it's a hangover from the days when good manners were valued and you always put your name to written communications.

Maybe you need to get out in the sunshine a bit more my friend, you don't have to read my posts, or my signature, and you don't need to personalise your objections either, remember the rules?

Live and let live, and the world (and Forum) will be a happier place.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :p

Winston001
17-12-2004, 10:14 PM
See if Winston001 can plead for you, that seems like a manifestly excessive sentence

Certainly. We can rush through a quick appeal to the Supreme Court, probably in early 2009, and I'm confident of obtaining judicial relief for you Mike. Unless the Government changes. Er........there is the not insubstantial matter of my fee. Athough I'm sure R2 and Jester will fund you.

Seriously Mike, I have no problem with a simple signature such as you use. It is polite and innocuous.

My gripe is the arrant drivel which follows in a lengthy sentence built into some signatures. Happily these can be blocked.
:thumbs:

Metla
17-12-2004, 10:44 PM
Why pick on me metla? Plenty of others sign too, it's a hangover from the days when good manners were valued and you always put your name to written communications.

Maybe you need to get out in the sunshine a bit more my friend, you don't have to read my posts, or my signature, and you don't need to personalise your objections either, remember the rules?

Cheers

Ugh.

I haven't a care in the world how anyone decides to sign off there posts,not you,not freddy from down the road or Bonzo the circus chimp,I was answering someones question and used your sign off as an example.

Although i did think my extension was a nice touch.

Persoanlly i see the entire subject as the biggest non-issue sinnce the PM's coffee machine fiasco.

alphazulusixeightniner
17-12-2004, 11:20 PM

Cheers

I'm sorry, but the current results of the poll say otherwise Billy. 16 to 5, you're outnumbered. :)

The majority wants you and other post signers to put your post signage in the signature box. :badpc: Then the rest of us can disable signatures to stop us going insane.

I mean you'd go insane if you saw me writing:

"Cheers

alphazulusixeightniner 8-{) :annoyed:"

on every one of my posts!! It's the simplist form of spam. We'd delete it if it was in our inbox, but we can't delete it unless you put it in the signature box. :badpc:

There's no such thing as 'courtesy', it's simply not needed. We also know it's Billy posting, it has your name assigned to the post?

Mike
18-12-2004, 11:47 AM
I mean you'd go insane if you saw me writing:

"Cheers

alphazulusixeightniner 8-{) :annoyed:"

on every one of my posts!!I doubt it. I've been signing my name to (almost) every post I've made here in the past 4-5 years - that would be several thousand posts (maybe close to 8 or 9, maybe more) and I haven't heard of anybody going insane over it. I haven't noticed anybody go insane over Billy's signing of his messages either. And I believe it is a common courtesy, it's polite, to sign your name at the end of a post. Just like most people would sign their name at the end of a letter or an email. You usually know who those are from too. I think this is a non issue, and would really just laugh if people felt they needed to leave the forum because of it.

Mike.

godfather
18-12-2004, 11:58 AM
There's no such thing as 'courtesy', it's simply not needed. In your life, perhaps there is no such thing as courtesy. Certainly that seems to be well portrayed.

In many of our lives there is and always will be such a thing as courtesy.

And you should never - ever - believe forum polls, that is another tenet of life.

FoxyMX
18-12-2004, 12:40 PM
There's no such thing as 'courtesy', it's simply not needed.
Obviously in your life there isn't but what a dreadful world this would be if we all followed your ideals. :help:

MMM
18-12-2004, 12:49 PM
Then the rest of us can disable signatures to stop us going insane.
Huh? There appears to be something in your signature box, yet you state that you and "the rest of us" will disable signatures to stop going insane" ???

May I take it then that you will be removing your signature out of concern for other posters? Signing off in the post and putting quotes etc in the signature box both seem to be annoying according to some posters. Maybe the forum should just have neither. Maybe there should now be a poll on whether we should have polls in the forum.

For myself, I would just love to be able to use the smilies. Will add one just to see if it will work yet. :D

MMM
18-12-2004, 12:52 PM
Yeehaa!! Got it, I think using the colon and capital D.

alphazulusixeightniner
18-12-2004, 01:38 PM
And I believe it is a common courtesy, it's polite, to sign your name at the end of a post. Just like most people would sign their name at the end of a letter or an email.

Mike.
What's the difference between writing 'Mike.' at the end of each post, or simply putting it in the signature??? The difference is you don't have to keep typing it out each time you want to say something. Politeness would still be maintained I think. :)

The difference between the old forum and this one is it didn't have signatures, that's why you felt the need to sign off at every post. Now that we have signatures, why not just do it once and be done with it? Unless of course you want to set of some early arthritis, OOS or CTS with excessive, unnecessary typing? :thumbs:

Seriously are you offended if someone replies to you on the forum and they haven't signed off? No. It's not expected of anyone, so nobody actually notices or cares. Of all the forums I've visited this is the only one where people insist on signing off. Weird. :@@:

Cicero
18-12-2004, 07:05 PM
There's an old English comedy skit - may have been Peter Cook, can't remember - which starts with a Judge going "... you have been found guilty by this court and will be taken from here to a place of execution and there hung by the neck until you are dead ..."

At which point there is a cough, and the lawyer for the prosecution interrupts ...

"Milord, the defendant has been convicted of riding his bicycle without a light"

"Oh. Very well you are fined a shilling. (pause) .... And my God have mercy on your soul"

You simply must try this 007 when you do become a judge,you should get some good laughs out of that.

wintertide
18-12-2004, 07:13 PM
IMHO it doesn't matter if you sign off your name on the signature or on the actual message, it's up to the post writer. It's nothing to whinge about - everyone who signs off isn't going to change that just to make one or two people happy! Just live with it...

Winter.

Mike
18-12-2004, 07:53 PM
What's the difference between writing 'Mike.' at the end of each post, or simply putting it in the signature??? The difference is you don't have to keep typing it out each time you want to say something. Politeness would still be maintained I think. :)
At work I have a "signature" that is attached to every email I send that contains my name, email address, website, DDI, fax number, and postal address. As well as this I sign Mike at the end of the email. To me it makes it sound a bit more personal (that I'd written it myself) and not something mass produced, or written by some lackey.

The difference between the old forum and this one is it didn't have signatures, that's why you felt the need to sign off at every post. Now that we have signatures, why not just do it once and be done with it? Unless of course you want to set of some early arthritis, OOS or CTS with excessive, unnecessary typing? :thumbs:
At the speed that I type, I can type my name at the end of an email or post while I am removing my hands from the keyboard. If anything gives me OOS it won't be typing 5 more characters at the end of a post - it'd more likely be the amount of time I spend using a mouse at work (about 95% of my work day).

anyone, so nobody actually notices or cares.
If nobody actually notices or cares, then what is your point? Obviously you care - maybe some others may care as well and actually appreciate the thought? If you don't actually notice or care, then why bother with this thread?

Mike.

wotz
18-12-2004, 08:13 PM
geeeeeeeez the little things that upset people. get over it :groan:

godfather
18-12-2004, 08:20 PM
Exactly.

particularly when the last option on the poll encourages those who want post signing to "grab their pitchforks" to defend their right to do so, but it then gets interpreted as the opposite. Most unscientific. Do not trust polls.

Means it's a huge majority for post signing if any meaning was to be taken seriously.

alphazulusixeightniner
18-12-2004, 08:43 PM
particularly when the last option on the poll encourages those who want post signing to "grab their pitchforks" to defend their right to do so, but it then gets interpreted as the opposite. Most unscientific. Do not trust polls.

I'm sorry if you mis-voted godfather. :lol: I thought there was only one way to interpret that. In any movie or story I've seen, grabbing your pitchfork was used to start an attack, not defend. :lol: :lol:

The whole thread/poll is a joke by the way, but some people are too serious. As Metla said, it's a real non-issue. :lol: If it was a fair poll there would be equal options for the post signers, but I stacked them deliberately. :lol: