PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP Problems/Compaq Presario 5500

June Hay
16-12-2004, 09:33 PM
(1) AVG Control Centre Panel comes on everytime I start up my computer. How do I stop it from doing that?

(2) A Trojan virus panel also keeps popping on screen on start up as well. It tells me to run AVG to get rid of it. My AVG runs automatically every night, so I am baffled as to what does it mean by "run AVG in windows" or ords to that affect.

(3) I recently cleaned up my desk top and removed unused icons to a seperate folder and changed the desktop picture. All went fine except I now have all the icons highlighted in blue.. How did I do that and how do I undo it?
:
I look forward to your replies and thank you very much..
I am a newie to the site and only found you through reading the "internet" magazine of April 2002 I got from a garage sale... (20 of them to be exact -Imag- Once again thanks a lot.

Prescott
16-12-2004, 09:40 PM
hi and welcome to pressf1, i hope you like the new layout :)

firstly which version of AVG do you have? do you have the new avg7.0 version? and have you updated the virus definitions?

tweak'e
16-12-2004, 09:42 PM
what version of AVG are you useing ?

the control panel is ment to run at startup. is it in the tray or is opening up full on screen?

as far as trojen goes it should state where the infected file is (most likly in restore file). also set AVG to scan ALL files.

Murray P
16-12-2004, 10:11 PM
There should be a setting in options or preferences (sorry don't use it anymore, struggling to remember) to minimise AVG to the System Tray at start up.

As the others have mentioned, update the programme and virus database/definition files.

WIth XP (& ME) the system restore feature will back up and protect all files in system folders, including malware files like trojan's. To get rid of it turn of restore, reboot into safe mode the scan with AVG or a specialty trojan hunter. Once you've scanned and cleaned up, reboot normally and re-enable System Restore.

Caution, disabling System Restore to clean it out will wipe all your current restore points. If you have other issues that you feel may be fixed by restoring (turning back the clock), do that first, then go nail the nasty.