PDA

View Full Version : POTUS

Biggles
16-12-2004, 08:17 PM
Just so you all know the child known as POTUS has been busy hijacking ids all day. This has resulted in lots of work for myself, the other mods and the online team of Jim and Mary - people who have been working hard to bring you the new forum.

He has hijacked the ids of several well-respected members, and either posed as them and made abusiive/stupid comments, or simply prevented them from registering their id.

This is abuse, plain and simple. Any of you who have any simpathy for this ... thing .... are very misguided.

Anyone who has info on who POTUS is, please feel free to do us and all PressF1 users a favour and let me know. I will pursue it to the point of contacting his ISP and attempting to get his account closed. And no, trace route on his IP is so far a dead end.

Edward
16-12-2004, 08:25 PM
just being a nitpicker, but isn't potus a she?

BTW if the user Megaman is regstered, can you jst delete it? I've registered as this :)

ninja
16-12-2004, 08:25 PM
*ahem*

I do this for a living, so if you have the IP address there are much better ways than tracing.

Get the reverse DNS by doing - this is the easiest:

*nix

dig -x xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

Windows

nslookup -q=ptr xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

The reverse DNS should give away the ISP of origin.

*nix

whois xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

Windows

Find a web-based whois server or ask a *nix user to do it for you.

That should give you a vague indication as to who owns it, though some ISP's use ranges borrowed from or sold wholesale to larger organisations.

Edward
16-12-2004, 08:29 PM
dosen't vBulletin have an IP lookup feature that shows a users ISP? in my informal testing, it did...

Biggles
16-12-2004, 08:29 PM
You see, I knew I needed input from soime geeks.

ninja
16-12-2004, 08:33 PM
You see, I knew I needed input from soime geeks.
If I get the first three octets (i.e: 192.168.1.x) I can tell ya where it came from piece of cake.

Don't need the last octet, and that would preserve any privacy required.

~sy~
16-12-2004, 08:37 PM
I think he's still here. I'm sure vBulletin has an IP lookup doesnt it?

eat soap
16-12-2004, 08:42 PM
I think he's still here. I'm sure vBulletin has an IP lookup doesnt it?

What say he is on dial-up and his IP has changed? :(

Metla
16-12-2004, 08:44 PM
His ISP will know exactly whom was using that ip at the time.

ninja
16-12-2004, 08:45 PM
Oh, and FYI - a lot of ISP's block the packets used for a traceroute. You need to use a tool like mtr for linux, or WinMTR for windows to get around this.

http://winmtr.sourceforge.net

ninja
16-12-2004, 08:46 PM
What say he is on dial-up and his IP has changed? :(
Most ISP's have logs going back years of which address was allocated to which user at which time.

All thats required is the IP and a timestamp and it's just a matter of hunting through the logs. Trivial exercise really.

Biggles
16-12-2004, 09:06 PM
Email has been sent.

~sy~
16-12-2004, 09:07 PM
I can't believe we're wasting so much time dealing with POTUS. If we just leave him/her/trans/gay... whatever alone, I'm sure it'll just disappear into the darkness. Stop giving him attention!

Biggles
16-12-2004, 09:10 PM
Fine except that that he/she/it has been hijacking ids and preventing people from claiming their ids. Further he/she/it has been posting abuse under those ids. I'm not giving he/she/it attention, I'm being forced to deal with the problem, and I posted this so everyone knows what's going on.

ninja
16-12-2004, 09:16 PM
Email has been sent.
*checks abuse@theispiworkfor.co.nz*

Nope... not us.

Prescott
16-12-2004, 09:17 PM
is it not possible to block certian ip addresses from accessing this site? :confused: silly question i know but when i try to download a file from files.inspire.net.nz it says that im not allowed to download the file because i live outside if nz, but actually i do :rolleyes: [hey my smilies are working]

/but in cos i know jack about servers :o

alphazulusixeightniner
16-12-2004, 09:22 PM
Email has been sent.

Who was the ISP?

Edward
16-12-2004, 09:23 PM
they block any hostname that dosen't end in .*.nz perhaps?

that was for Prescott

ninja
16-12-2004, 09:23 PM
is it not possible to block certian ip addresses from accessing this site? :confused: silly question i know but when i try to download a file from files.inspire.net.nz it says that im not allowed to download the file because i live outside if nz, but actually i do :rolleyes: [hey my smilies are working]

/but in cos i know jack about servers :o
Yes it's possible, trivially easy in fact. However most IP addresses in NZ are dynamic and get reused over and over again shared among other users so blocking a specific address is pointless.

Inspire may be blocking you because you're not on their network, or with an ISP that doesn't peer (like Xtra/Telstra) - the error might just be misleading.

EX-WESTY
16-12-2004, 09:33 PM
Too easy i know, but what email address are they using to register.....
I'm guessing a web based one but they can still be dealt with thru the right channels.

FLOTUS
17-12-2004, 03:34 PM
Just so you all know the child known as POTUS has been busy hijacking ids all day. This has resulted in lots of work for myself, the other mods and the online team of Jim and Mary - people who have been working hard to bring you the new forum.

He has hijacked the ids of several well-respected members, and either posed as them and made abusiive/stupid comments, or simply prevented them from registering their id.

This is abuse, plain and simple. Any of you who have any simpathy for this ... thing .... are very misguided.

Anyone who has info on who POTUS is, please feel free to do us and all PressF1 users a favour and let me know. I will pursue it to the point of contacting his ISP and attempting to get his account closed. And no, trace route on his IP is so far a dead end.

I am FLOTUS. I am not and have never been POTUS. I do know POTUS and can attest that POTUS has not attempted to log on to this new forum with that user name. Nor have they launched any attacks on this new forum. Whoever did those thing is not the POTUS from the old forum.

Some of you will choose not to believe this, that's your problem, not mine.

alphazulusixeightniner
17-12-2004, 04:04 PM
I am FLOTUS. I am not and have never been POTUS.

So it's just a coincidence FLOTUS appeared the day after POTUS got banned on the old forum. :confused: :rolleyes:

And you say you know POTUS, what, like you know yourself?

FLOTUS
17-12-2004, 04:15 PM
So it's just a coincidence FLOTUS appeared the day after POTUS got banned on the old forum. :confused: :rolleyes:

And you say you know POTUS, what, like you know yourself?

[removed] , it's not nice to accuse people of lying - especially when you can't prove it. I chose the name FLOTUS because I joined about the same time POTUS left.... it amused me ;) Bruce is satisfied that I am not POTUS - I don't care if you are or not!

Ever hear of innocent until proven otherwise?

alphazulusixeightniner
17-12-2004, 04:22 PM
alphazuludickhead, it's not nice to accuse people of lying - especially when you can't prove it. I chose the name FLOTUS because I joined about the same time POTUS left.... it amused me ;) Bruce is satisfied that I am not POTUS - I don't care if you are or not!

Ever hear of innocent until proven otherwise?

Well you see there's my proof right there. POTUS used to call me "alphazuludickhead" as well. FLOTUS = POTUS, delete/ban end of story. Do a search through the forum, you'll see the evidence. :rolleyes:

Wait, here (http://pressf1.co.nz/showthread.php?p=290375&highlight=alphazuludickhead#post290375) is my proof!

Graham L
17-12-2004, 04:25 PM
:groan: "When did you stop beating your wife?" :)

POTUS seems to be able to cause unpleasantness, even posthumously.

That way the bar steward wins. :mad:

Jen
17-12-2004, 04:31 PM
alphazulusixeightniner and FLOTUS

Please do not continue with your arguing on this thread, and take this discussion offline.

Bruce has allowed FLOTUS to register on this forum and this decision is not open for discussion.

alphazulusixeightniner
17-12-2004, 04:34 PM
Please do not continue with your arguing on this thread, and take this discussion offline.

Are you suggesting a fist fight? :stare: :D

That's a bit extreme? :p Here's how (http://pressf1.co.nz/private.php?do=newpm&u=8579) to PM me. ;)

FLOTUS
17-12-2004, 04:41 PM
alphazulusixeightniner, you seem to be the one causing trouble. Yet you call for me to be banned?

Biggles
17-12-2004, 04:57 PM
Enough. Right now. All of you.

I'm giving Flotus the benefit of the doubt - doens't mean I'm "convinced" of anything. Does mean I have no proof, and hence innocent until proven guilty. Unless I'm very much mistaken, Flotus was not banned from the old forum. Anyone who misbehaves will get themselves banned if they act up enough - that's no reason to go an start something right now. Not make me set the chimp on you. He's only had some carrots and a few mangos all week and he's about ready to bite.