PDA

View Full Version : Best basic printer

Joe Blogs
16-12-2004, 05:23 PM
We are printing about a dozen and a half pages or text a week.
Our old dinasor has finally bit the dust and has to be replaced.
Can anyone suggest a good replacement.

Rob99
16-12-2004, 05:31 PM
Cannon and hp have printers for under $100, IMO these would be the best in the basic printer section.

Check out what type of catridges they take to see if new ones come with new printheads, unlike Epson. New heads on the cartridge means you will waste less ink cleaning the things over the life of the printer.

Look at the price for replacment cartridges, but not realy going to effect you with the amount of printing you do.

Graham L
16-12-2004, 05:33 PM
Automatic head cleaning cycles can get very expensive with inkjets. It might be worth considering a laser if you don't need colour.

Peter H
16-12-2004, 07:39 PM
Cheapest Canon I would suggest.
Bye

Edward
16-12-2004, 07:43 PM
i've got an HP psc 1315, and it's quite a good printer, but since it does color and scanning it might be overkill. it's good quality so i'd say a more feature-less model would be good. or even a laser if black & white only as has been said

Overdrive_5000
16-12-2004, 08:42 PM
Hi I was just looking on the dick smith site they have a cannon printer on clearance for bout $48 down from $88 Cannon Printer @ DSE (http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/41c13c3c0f7184162740c0a87f99070d/Product/View/XP0370)

~sy~
16-12-2004, 08:48 PM
Hi I was just looking on the dick smith site they have a cannon printer on clearance for bout $48 down from $88 Cannon Printer @ DSE (http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/41c13c3c0f7184162740c0a87f99070d/Product/View/XP0370)

Probably have to drive 100 kms and waste a couple of hours to find out where exactly the product is. Not worth it I tell ya! Have a look on PriceSpy (http://www.pricespy.co.nz) for the cheapest deals. If you don't print often, then cheap is good.

Edit: Epsons/Canons/HP are all very good brands. I'd personally avoid Lexmark.

bachelorno1
16-12-2004, 09:34 PM
More background information would make suggesting a 'good replacement' easier...
How much do you want to spend?
How old is your PC? Does it have a USB port?
What sort of paper do you use? Do you print in colour?
Does the text need to be high resolution, smudge/water proof?
Are your printing needs likely to change?
I am biased towards laser printers for text. Generally they are quieter, produce better output, and cost less per page. However the upfront cost is higher, particularly for colour.

Hope this helps

Joe Blogs
16-12-2004, 10:12 PM
More background information would make suggesting a 'good replacement' easier...

Hope this helps
I perhaps should have named the title "Best basic budget printer". All we are really looking for is a very basic printer for printing a few documents a week. Colour is not important. We have an xp machine.

Looks like the low end canons could do the trick.

Murray P
16-12-2004, 10:18 PM
Yep, Canon, HP, Epsom. They'd all be pretty much the same on low volume. If you were printing more and with colour, I'd say avoid HP for the cost of the cartiridges, although they do have the print head on the so you pay for that with each new cartridge.

It's the ink they make their money on, not the printer. I've paid for my $300 HP about ten times in 18 months, then it goes and gets snotty with me :rolleyes:

godfather
17-12-2004, 08:34 AM
Based on experience, I would rate them in the order of HP, Canon.

Epsom is a suburb of Auckland, so not sure how that relates. ;)

Epson (the printers) however tend to consume a lot of ink in cleaning cycles, as do Brother.

But do look at the lasers currently on offer, there are some amazing low prices.

~sy~
17-12-2004, 09:08 AM
I perhaps should have named the title "Best basic budget printer". All we are really looking for is a very basic printer for printing a few documents a week. Colour is not important. We have an xp machine.

Looks like the low end canons could do the trick.

Anything new on the market these days should do the trick. You're looking around $70-$100 max I'd say.

Murray P
17-12-2004, 01:06 PM
Based on experience, I would rate them in the order of HP, Canon.

Epsom is a suburb of Auckland, so not sure how that relates. ;)

Epson (the printers) however tend to consume a lot of ink in cleaning cycles, as do Brother.

But do look at the lasers currently on offer, there are some amazing low prices.

Why do you rate HP above Canon Goddie, build quality, ink consumption, print quality & speed? I've only owned HP's but was considering Canon this time around although I haven't delved into the pros and cons yet.

Lasers are looking promising in duo with a high end injet for colour images, however I outsource most of my larger print work now, fast, no hassle and cheap.

Epsom Print for you Goddie (http://www.londonancestor.com/surrey/grove-epson.htm), no doubt it took a bit of ink to produce ;)

Apologies for the OT Joe

godfather
17-12-2004, 01:22 PM
Personal experience only Murray.

All the HP printers I have ever bought are still in service (and it's into the dozens) apart from one which simply wore out after many thousands of pages.

I ran a fleet of them in a large organisation, and "inherited" a large number as a result of a merger. Of all the inherited IT "junk" the HP printers were still going, and were the only devices to survive a review.

Canon work fine, but when you spend thousands on a top end large format printer and have to junk it after a year and a half because the device was not supported by a new 32 bit operating system ("we only sold that in NZ and Australian and a few other markets, so we are not going to release new drivers sorry") I went off Canon in a big way.

All the HP migrated fine.

But the Canon gear works fine.

noone
17-12-2004, 02:03 PM
The cheaper the printer the more expensive the ink

KatiMike
17-12-2004, 02:33 PM
...and don't forget Joe to factor in the cost of a usb cable if you haven't a spare - many of the cheap Canon's are usb only , and don't come with a cable included

HadO
17-12-2004, 02:34 PM
The cheaper the printer the more expensive the ink

Not necessarily - I got a Canon i250 because it was cheap but with research found that almost all Canon printers use the same ink tanks (BCI24) which are cheap and they all seem to print similar resolutions too...

Go for a Canon - I can't speak from too much experience as I've only had it for a year but I cant fault it :)

Graham L
17-12-2004, 05:07 PM
The laser suggestion was serious.

Any inkjet which prints two or three pages on weekdays,and has the weekend off is likely to have problems with clogged printhead holes. You'll use much more ink in cleaning cycles than ever gets onto paper.

A low cost laser will give much cheaper printing.

TonyF
17-12-2004, 05:31 PM
A low cost laser will give much cheaper printing.
Suggestions as to model ??
Cheers T

the highlander
17-12-2004, 07:48 PM
Brother 1430 or is it 1240,I forget but the lowend brother laser printers can be had for around $225
They run to about 5000-6000 copies before the drum needs replacement and then its cheaper to get a new printer
cheap toner
reliable ---until drum dies
reasonably fast

Nomad
17-12-2004, 07:51 PM
Generally any printers will be fine. For text I would suggest laser printers for that crisp output. I have seen these in the ads for $300 or less.

If you need it for casual use so a splash of color then a inkjet. Have a look into the durability and the ink cartridge costs as well. Generally speaking thou is if you want to print pictures, the industry standard is Epson Inkjets. These guys just have a lot more color calibrators, ICC profiles with them on the net. FYI: The Epson 2200 is said to be v respected, some pple use it as a alternative to the lab as you you got total control (incl the printing process).

~sy~
17-12-2004, 07:55 PM
Brother 1430 or is it 1240,I forget but the lowend brother laser printers can be had for around $225

I'm personally thinking about getting the brother 1430 for $249. But it is a rather big investment.... :@@: Because I print quite a fair bit, I'm thinking I might just use refills. Personally don't need high quality ink...

My HP 930c is quite economical to run. Best printer I've owned...

~sy~
18-12-2004, 09:30 AM
In the newspaper today is an Dick Smith Electronics advertisement for the Epson C45 printer -very basic and easy to use .. apparently... Although connection is by USB cable only, so not sure if you'll need to buy the cable separately.

R2x1
18-12-2004, 10:56 AM
Well, Lasers eat electricity, or you wait a fair while while they warm up. Inkjets eat ink, and for intermittent use, use more to wipe their noses than to print. If you leave them idle for long periods they clog.
I have an Epson dot matrix from around 1987 that does most of the notes and non-graphic printing I need. Always ready, the noise is good for making the 'puter fans seem quiet, you can print both sides of the paper, it is semi water resistant print. It cost me around $10 about 10 years ago, ribbons are cheap and long lasting. For a single page of a product manual or the like, it is probably quicker than most other printers, turn it on, print, turn it off. No warm-up delay, or printhead waltz cycle.
A sheet feed model is pretty near essential though if you don't need continuous stationery. At a flea market, you may get 4 printers with cables for the price of 1 generic inkjet refill kit.
Och mon!

Peter H
18-12-2004, 11:18 AM
In my opinion, inkjets do not require head cleaning with intermittent use. I use a Canon, and some weeks would not do any printing. Mostly about 1 or 2 pages a week at other times. Over 2 years of use with no problems.
Bye

Joe Blogs
21-12-2004, 01:12 AM
:thumbs: Hey "Thanks for your advice everyone,"
it is really appreciated. A very informative thread. :)

drb1
21-12-2004, 01:25 AM
:thumbs: Hey "Thanks for your advice everyone,"
it is really appreciated. A very informative thread. :)

HP Flatbed = bulletproof.

At least me proof and like G/F says they dont stop, unless you throw them out windows, or at people, or print millions of pages on them.

D.

~sy~
21-12-2004, 09:17 AM
Just brought the Brother HL-1430 laser printer yesterday for $224. So far so good -except I should have read the instructions before setting up. Ah well...

TonyF
21-12-2004, 09:35 AM
$224 ? Better than anything on Pricespy. Where from ?
Cheers Tony