PDA

View Full Version : Problems getting forum activation email

Biggles
16-12-2004, 02:45 PM
[UPDATE] - We've turned the activation system off for now to save hassles for all.

Anyone who is still waiting for the activation email should just try logging in - should work.

Some folks haven't got their registration email that allows them to activate their account. This may simply be a delay but it is also possible that some ISPs spam filters are seeing the email as spam and not forwarding it to the recipient.

If you don't get the email after a decent amount of time try using a different email address. You can use a Hotmail address or other free-email address.

If that still doesn't work Private Message me.

Chilling_Silence
16-12-2004, 02:48 PM
Ive had several people PM me asking this already, as I added a message to the Forum Announcement.

Ive asked one or two to try and "forget" their password with no luck.

Im with Orcon, works fine here.

Biggles
16-12-2004, 02:49 PM
I've added the sticky post for increased visibility.

Yahoo.com.au addresses seem to be a problem. They must have their spam filter set to "kill"....

R2x1
16-12-2004, 03:02 PM
I've added the sticky post for increased visibility.

Yahoo.com.au addresses seem to be a problem. They must have their spam filter set to "kill"....
LOL The original "yahoos" were a tad difficult as well.

Peter H
16-12-2004, 03:05 PM
I'm with Clear, and couldn't even get a mail I sent to myself. Probally arrive tomorrow!!
Bye

mark c
16-12-2004, 03:18 PM
Thanks I'm here now. Yahoo.com nothing came thru at all, bit odd. Would have thought the activation email would have gone into the bulk folder at the worst.

thanks james and bruce and chill, sorry about the repeat emails. But happy happy to be here again. :cool:

Greg
16-12-2004, 03:25 PM
Thanks to James from IDG I'm now in. My ISP is Orcon, but my mail comes via my own (rented) server, so unsure what the issue was in my case.

somebody
16-12-2004, 03:29 PM
A solution as I found was to change your email address in the profie, after which it will send another activation email to the new address.

Big John
16-12-2004, 03:56 PM
A solution as I found was to change your email address in the profie, after which it will send another activation email to the new address.
I tried that with 3 different e-mail addresses and none of them got a reply. I have spam turned off so everything should get through and does as I get about 50-60 spam per day and they are still coming through now. That was at 12pm and still nothing has come through but Bruce fixed things for me.

george12
16-12-2004, 04:02 PM
Mine came through instantly. It's on my e-mail server. I never miss e-mails but sometimes mail from hotmail takes several minutes to come through. I'm not sure if that's hotmail or me though.

Elephant
16-12-2004, 04:09 PM
I'm with Orcon and had no activation message even after it was resent. Thanks to James for the effort and I'm with it now.

Chilling_Silence
16-12-2004, 04:52 PM
Ive had PM's for a lot of Paradise customers who are having issues... Even those with their own Domains with them :-/

Graham L
16-12-2004, 04:55 PM
I got the email OK, but ...

The problems were: neither of the direct links worked from nzoomail.com; the first one gave a 404 error. The third option, typing the address in myself to the browser got through, but the activation page was immediately covered by the IDG marketing questionaire. :confused:

But it all happened eventually.

Clueless
16-12-2004, 05:15 PM
Ive had PM's for a lot of Paradise customers who are having issues... Even those with their own Domains with them :-/

I registered this name as an expererment. this is probably the one and only "clueless" post this year.
the address i used this time was a hotmail one, and it worked, however when i went to register my proper nick, using my own domain that registerdirect host, it was a big fat failure......

so i'll just have to be clueless till i find an address that works with the PF1 server

BTW, my ISP is paradise, but as i dont get my email through them, i cant see how that would make any difference!

tweak'e
16-12-2004, 05:31 PM
well i'm finally on....cheers bruce, no idea whats gone wrong with the email tho :(

Chilling_Silence
16-12-2004, 05:42 PM
If you guys get stuck, then PM one of us mods, Im not sure if Bruce wants his Mailbox being fl00ded with requests from people.

Doesnt bother me here, Jen doesnt mind either :-)

Bruce?

personthingy
16-12-2004, 06:20 PM
If you guys get stuck, then PM one of us mods, Im not sure if Bruce wants his Mailbox being fl00ded with requests from people.

Doesnt bother me here, Jen doesnt mind either :-)

Bruce?

OK..im here, but i had to change my address to a hotmail one to do it, something i would like to change back from ASAP, but i suspect that attempting to use my proper address would deactivate "personthingy", unless it actually goes though. I tried to kickstart things by changing from 1234@mydoamin.co.nz to 12_34@mydomain.co.nz but that produced no email. There are no filters on registerdirects hosting for my email, so i remain confused!

Theres no way im going to send anyone an instant message via the button on thier posts till i can use a REAL email address. I have my mana to consider here!

:p

agent
16-12-2004, 06:21 PM
I did the same as somebody suggested.

Originally didn't receive an activation email (yahoo.com.au). Changed to Orcon address, didn't get one. So I changed my address two more times, got two activation emails, and activated my account with the last email I received.

personthingy
16-12-2004, 06:42 PM
Oddly, the address that i originally registered with was the same one that i had been using for all my PF1 mail for some time. If it wasnt for that id wonder why IDGs mail was being blocked, but clearly its not that theyve been naughty, just that somthing is filtering IDG--->registerdirect.co.nz and IDG ---->half the other email providers and ISPs!

BTW>>>>>> is there any reason that smilies are disabled from signitures?
:D

agent
16-12-2004, 06:46 PM
Personally, I'd blame it on whatever the new software is using to send the emails out.

Edward
16-12-2004, 07:40 PM
gmail got it ok :)

personthingy
16-12-2004, 08:05 PM
There seems to be a pattern here, in general any webmail service is able to get the activation mail, and most ISP or pop3 mail providers are not.
:rolleyes:

gmail, here i come
*tries to pretend i dont have a hotmail account, or use MSN*

agent
16-12-2004, 08:30 PM
There is no pattern whatsoever.

If Yahoo users cannot receive the activation email, what factual basis does your statement "any webmail service is able to get the activation mail" rest on?

And if I ended up activating my account using my Orcon email address, "ISP or pop3 mail providers are not [able to get the activation mail]" is also utterly false.

In addition to that, I can read email on my Yahoo and Orcon accounts via both webmail and POP3, which rules out any pattern between the two.

As I said before, I think the problem lies with IDG.

personthingy
16-12-2004, 09:19 PM
There is no pattern whatsoever.

If Yahoo users cannot receive the activation email, what factual basis does your statement "any webmail service is able to get the activation mail" rest on?

And if I ended up activating my account using my Orcon email address, "ISP or pop3 mail providers are not [able to get the activation mail]" is also utterly false.

In addition to that, I can read email on my Yahoo and Orcon accounts via both webmail and POP3, which rules out any pattern between the two.

As I said before, I think the problem lies with IDG.

i stand corrected!!!!

:D :D :D

agent
16-12-2004, 10:01 PM
Sorry if I came off sounding critical.

I was just trying to stress that I think the problem lies with IDG.

personthingy
16-12-2004, 10:41 PM
My mail provider has NEVER blocked ANYTHING before...

There is no spam filter, no virus filter, no filter filter.
They provide a "free" email service to compliment the domains i have registered with them, and when it comes to filering... um... you gets what you pay for ey?

I registered with the same address as i was using last week in the old forum, and was getting forum notifications

Therefore i must agree with agent. The problem must be with the new software, and/or the way it (doesnt)deliver the mail.

I must add that the novelty of my IM program wanting to open browser windows so i can get hotmail everytime a thread gets up dated is wearing very thin. Hopefully this can get fixed so i can go back to using hotmail for all its good for, an account name for MSN!

personthingy
16-12-2004, 11:26 PM
And now that i think a bit more about things, there is other email i am waiting on that was generated from yahoos servers as a result of a post i approved about lunchtime in an E group i moderate.

All though test emails to myself are back here within a minute at the most, perhaps the 2 delays are not coincidence?

Perhaps something BIGGER is going on, perhaps the FBI is involved, perhaps i'm just :confused:

Merlin Ambrosius
17-12-2004, 12:13 AM
Gee I finally got here, a bit of a test I suppose.:D
Yahoo.co.nz no work for email activation, :( Gmail good.:)
hell I thought I was all signed up and bugger me no go on posting, all else was ok like editing and stuff just no go at posting.
So changed email addie and the activation email arrived in seconds, so alls well that ends well I think :confused:

Bloody good sight and little confusing but will crack it soon. :cool:

Old forum handle merlin-nz:

cheers merlin a :eek:

KatiMike
17-12-2004, 12:22 AM
just arrived also , as mentioned above prior "valid" Yahoo address never forwarded the activation e-mail , so now I've a bright shiny hotmail address ... oh well , site looks great :)

4bes
17-12-2004, 05:11 AM
I had no problems getting my email through xtra, but after activating my registration my password wasn't working :confused:

Biggles
17-12-2004, 09:50 AM
Well I registered using my Clear Net account - no email. We made some chnages to the email to make it slightly less like spam - getting rid of "!" marks, for example. Still no email. Sent a test email from my work acoount to my Clear Net account - voila, get the email.

The activation emails never turned up and didn't show up in the spam folder -- but then you probably don't get all spam in those folders, only what the server-side spam filter thinks "might" be spam but "might not" be spam. I think the server-side spam filters for Clear, Paradise, Yahoo and a few others is trashing the email as definate spam - which is a bit rough really.

Biggles
17-12-2004, 10:11 AM
Well the plot thickens. The same email - indentical except that it comes from me, not the forum auto-mailer - comes through first time. So Brightmail (Clear's server-side anti-spam app) is rejecting it based on who sent it, not the content.

Investigations are continuing.

george12
17-12-2004, 01:04 PM
Checked up on reverse DNS?

When I first got my account with static IP, the address has no reverse DNS, and some mail servers were rejecting e-mail from our server based on that.

OK, you do have a reverse DNS. Odd. What domain does the e-mail come from? Ie, blah@pressf1.co.nz, or blah@pcworld.co.nz?

Cheers George

Sue
18-12-2004, 03:40 PM
Thanks for disabling the e mail sign on, I don't think I would have ever got back here :-)
1, Registering with Mac on Safari, Java note just kept telling me to enter the e mail address twice, I had :-( gave up.
2, Registering with Mac on IE, usual user name not available, probably something to do with the first try, changed it, ClearNet ISP, checked mail & web mail. No reply.
Ah well, all's well etc. but I don't like having to use IE. :-) Next step was booting up the XP......

beetle
18-12-2004, 03:52 PM
LOL

well i got the email from xtra no probs just couldnt validate myself....??
LOL

so PM Chill and he sorted it the other night, but OE would not or did not allow FF to open and activate details / links. :dogeye:

but i here now, and have to be something mighty serious now to lose me... :lol:

like loss of puter????? :badpc: :thumbs:

eat soap
18-12-2004, 03:57 PM
The only way I got in was by using a hotmail address to activate my account. My real paradise address - nothing came through, the server-side spam filter was blocking it!?!?

arrr. its all good now. Thanx mods for your time!

mark c
19-12-2004, 11:07 AM
I just got four activaton emails this morning. My ISP is e3 and I use yahoo. I registered finally on Thursday with James' help with a direct link. :@@: