PDA

View Full Version : 20G to 160G Seagate-won't load XP

Henk
16-12-2004, 01:35 PM
Guys,
The m/c: 1G AMD, 256 DDR2700, gigabyte m/b(ga-7vkml), Radeon GFX(9200?), 20G Seagate, pioneer DVDwriter, 52X CDrom.

What I've done (1): I replaced the HDD with a new 160G Seagate(early xmas gift :D). I partitioned(with Partition magic) 20G, 66G & 65G. The disk is set to "cable select" and I am using an ultra ata cable.

The problem: I tried loading XP prof. After rebooting(stage 2 of setup), setup complains that alot of files could not be loaded and this will cause trouble. It went through anyway but when I start windows(desktop) and I click something the m/c just shuts down.

What I've done (2):I then tried loading XP SP1 with the same effect.
I tried using the writer rather than the rom, with the same result.
I flashed the bios from F2 to F8, with no effect.
When I put the old 20G HDD back in It works fine.
Tried to load XP on another old 20G disk and it goes fine.

The questions: Is there perhaps a clash between the HDD(160G) and the m/c? Or are the odds better in favour of a dud drive? It would be a real bummer if I have to return a gift because it is faulty.

Henk

noone
16-12-2004, 01:40 PM
have you updated the bios - i dont no about xp but with other os's etc you need to update the bios in order to add / use a large hard drive otherwise it wont accept it

Jen
16-12-2004, 01:42 PM
Have you tried checking the drive with Seagate's diagnostic tools? They are run off a bootable CD and you can download them from here (http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/)

HadO
16-12-2004, 01:42 PM
Could this possibly have something to do with boot.ini? ie the OS is looking at the wrong partition - I would check that out.

If all else fails you should just reinstall with SP1/2 and copy everything you need over from the 20GB drive.

Speedy Gonzales
16-12-2004, 02:07 PM
Dont put it on cable select. Put it on Master or Slave. And put it on Master or slave in the BIOS.

What else is on the same IDE as this?? Yup you also need SP1 or 2 for hdd's over 137GB.

Henk
16-12-2004, 02:17 PM
Noone,
Yes I have. It was F2 and is now F8.

Jen,
No, I haven't but I will check it out.
ps. great quote!!

HadO,
I'm unsure but don't think so 'cause when I slave it, it has the wndws files on.
Can you reload XP on top of the old one(20G) without losing data like you can with 98? I know I'll lose the desktop.ini but that's least of all worries.
Remember, I am one of those people that know just enough to be considered very dangerous around PCs :D

Henk

Henk
16-12-2004, 02:20 PM
Speedy,
Sorry that I missed you.
I have also tried it on Master&slave - no go. Also checked bios everytime to confirm.
There is nothing else on that IDE when I try to load

Henk

Speedy Gonzales
16-12-2004, 02:38 PM
OK. So, I take it you've removed the old 20gb altogether now?

And the 160gb is by itself on IDE1, and jumpered as the master. And set as the master on IDE1 in the BIOS? And the DVD and cd are on IDE 2 and one's set as master and the other slave, and the BIOS picks these up when u boot up?

And what youre saying is, u reinstalled XP on the 160gb, partitioned the 160, and trying to get the 160 to boot?

Since you have partitioned the bigger hdd, it shouldnt/wouldnt matter whether LBA is in the BIOS or not. This would ONLY apply if the 160 was ONLY one partition, and still 160 GB.

(Unless the mobo is old it doesnt know, what 65gb is, without a BIOS update). When u say u flashed the BIOS from F2 to F8, what exactly does this mean??

And a stupid question. BUT what's m/c mean?

Big John
16-12-2004, 02:38 PM
Yup you also need SP1 or 2 for hdd's over 137GB.
Thats only valid for partitions over 137GB. As he has partitioned into smaller lots it is not valid.

Henk
16-12-2004, 02:54 PM
Speedy,
1. Yes, 20G is out.
2. Yes and the rom&DVD is seperate on IDE 2
3. No, it won't install properly. It is not copying all files accross and is complaining about some files being corrupt - the disks worked fine when I tested it on another old HDD that I've got. Problem is that I don't trust THAT HDD and I think it will end up in the trash bin(appropriately disposed of, of course).
F2 is the bios that the mobo shipped with. F8(version 8) is one that I replaced it with.
M/c = machine

Big John,
That is correct

Henk

Speedy Gonzales
16-12-2004, 03:02 PM
OK gotcha now. I dont think its the hdd itself. Since it brings up errors, when u try and install XP onto the hdd.

Try cleaning the XP CD. Or try installing from the other cd/dvd for the clean install. The CD u tried to install XP from before maybe faulty or dirty as well.

Henk
17-12-2004, 10:44 AM
Guys,

Things took a turn for the worse, back at the ranch!!
I've decided that it might be best to exchange this HDD so I put back the old 20G HDD. Checked all connections ie. jumper on master IDE1 cable connected to the disk etc.
Started the m/c and the only result I got was that the registry is wasted!
Me being a bright boy have no reg backup, hope you won't punish me for such foolishness. :(
Is it possible to re-install XP on the 20G in such a way that I do not loose any data ie. emails and documents.
Cheers