PDA

View Full Version : Automatically Lock W2K Workstation

ninja
16-12-2004, 12:24 PM
I'm looking for a way that I can set my W2K Workstation to lock after x minutes of inactivity.

I'd rather not use the screensaver password if possible, and use the proper Windows Lock Workstation feature.

So far everything I've found points to using 3rd party software which I'd also rather not use.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

HadO
16-12-2004, 12:29 PM
Hmm..

If you're not worried about the computer doing anything in the background you could get it to standby after certain amount of time and then prompt for password when it comes back up (Power settings).

The screen saver option would be the easiest though and let your PC operate normally in the background and im sure the Win2K screen saver password option does "Lock the Workstation" properly...

wintertide
16-12-2004, 12:31 PM
You could make a habit of pressing Windows key + L everytime you walk away from it...

ninja
16-12-2004, 12:38 PM
You could make a habit of pressing Windows key + L everytime you walk away from it...
That one doesn't work on W2K... I've found the option of using an app in QuickLaunch running the command:

rundll32 user32.dll,LockWorkStation

However something automated would be preferable in the event I forget to do it. There are a lot of root shells etc open which I need to protect, and I just don't like the idea of doing it with a screensaver.

HadO
16-12-2004, 01:39 PM
Why not a screen saver?

Like I said it does "lock" the computer the same way it does when you CTRL+ALT+DELETE & "Lock Workstation".

george12
16-12-2004, 01:55 PM
I am experimenting with a scheduled task to do this.

I will report how it goes soon.

george12
16-12-2004, 02:03 PM
Yep, it works.

Here's how to do it Ninja:

Open scheduled tasks. Make a new one, just feed random junk into the stupid wizard, then open the properties for the new task, and set as follows:

(Task tab):
Run: rundll32 user32.dll,LockWorkStation
Run only if logged on: Tick

(Schedule tab):
Schedule task: Daily
Start time: (a few mins after current time)

Click Advanced, and choose Repeat Task, every few minutes depending on your timing.

On the Settings tab, make it so that it only runs if the PC has been idle for BLAH minutes.

Cheers George

ninja
16-12-2004, 02:59 PM
stuff

Cheers... will give that a go....

Mike
16-12-2004, 05:01 PM
I'd rather not use the screensaver password if possible, and use the proper Windows Lock Workstation feature.
W2K has the ability to lock the PC with a CTRL+ALT+DEL > Lock PC (or similar). If this is enabled then the screensaver activating can also lock the PC.

Mike.

bhagavan
18-06-2005, 04:11 AM
george12, how can you comment next situation:
when i try to resolve similar problem, i decide to write little program(for example Delphi console aplication) which will hadle API function LockWorkstation and thats all. then this application was renamed to be like screensaver (*.scr) and set as default screensaver through standart diaolog window... All works nice, but when workstation already be locked, after time of Inactivity, screensaver try to start one more (and mayby more an more) time and OS become to hang state (all input inored)... As result - RESET. DoubleLockWorkstation as i named that state.

Maybe sheduller will conduct oneself in other way?

P.S. Sorry for my English, I am from Ukraine :)

bhagavan
18-06-2005, 04:22 AM
Third-party program i had found thanks Google :) Maybe useful..

* Automatically locks workstation after inactivity timeout
* "Lock Now" using system tray icon, or customizable hotkey
* Quickly enable/disable using system tray icon
* Minimal system resources usage
* Automatically load on Windows startup

berryb
18-06-2005, 12:59 PM
Why not just use group policy. Your PC doesn't have to be networked for this to take affect, but it will affect all users. You can deny perrmissions for any users you don't want the policy to apply to. I haven't used Win 2000 for sometime but it can be done as I used GP to lockdown other users.