PDA

View Full Version : Ghosting effect on monitor...

wintertide
16-12-2004, 12:19 PM
I just got an IBM P202 20" Trinitron monitor from my work and it has this weird ghosting effect with icons and text across the screen (will post a pic if I can get one). Has anyone else got a fix for this?

HadO
16-12-2004, 12:24 PM
You could try degaussing but I doubt that's the cause from the description.

Changing "Clear Moire" and other monitor settings could help.

What resolution and refresh rate are you running on it?

wintertide
16-12-2004, 12:27 PM
I went right through the settings - spent about an hour last night tuning it to my liking but I still couldn't get rid of the ghosting. Clear Moire didn't work... I may swap the cable tonight and see if it makes a difference.

Running it at 1280x1024 @ 85Hz.

HadO
16-12-2004, 12:32 PM
That's a shame because the monitor looks very nice ;)

Was it functioning properly at your work?!

wintertide
16-12-2004, 12:35 PM
It was slighly dark and needed focus adjustment... that's why I got it for free ;) but I tuned it when i got home - only did the ghosting thing when I got home which is why I suspect the cable as I used a different cable at work. The monitor does the ghosting effect on my server as well as my desktop PC.

HadO
16-12-2004, 01:32 PM
If all else fails give it a whack ;)

I got an old 15 incher for my 233MMX and it would occasionally not display properly - I just hit it and it would return to normal - only lasted about 2 years though.

george12
16-12-2004, 02:40 PM
Don't hit them.

Sorry to undermine your advice HadO, but I have good reason.

I had a 15" monitor once, sometimes the picture went out of alignment, a tap would fix it. Then one day I tapped it as usual to fix it and BLAM!

It exploded violently, flame and all. The room strobed bright, bright white for about quarter of a second, and then the dust cleared, and the monitor was a shaking, broken open, flaming thing. I was 12 and ran away in fear (it was in my room). Turned it off at the circuit breaker (turned power to my room off) and hosed the fire out. I will never make the mistake of hitting a dodgy old monitor again!

wintertide
16-12-2004, 03:14 PM
Yeah, well the damn thing takes up half my desk and it's pretty heavy... I'm not about to hit it! I will just keep looking for how to access the factory menu and see if it can be fixed that way.

HadO
16-12-2004, 04:13 PM
george12> Awesome man... I will have to remember that :D :D :D

Graham L
16-12-2004, 04:19 PM
Thumping worked with Decwriter hard copy terminals. ;)

I'm still wondering what this effect is ... "icons and text across the screen"?

Is it screen burn? That is normally visible when the monitor is turned off, and is less obvious when it's running.

Billy T
16-12-2004, 05:21 PM
You may be right Graham, it certainly sounds like screen burn. Too many monitors are operated at full contrast and if they sit on their normal desktop for any appreciable time they will definitely produce icon or text burns.

I doubt very much that the cable will make any difference but try it, stranger things have been known to happen.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

wintertide
16-12-2004, 06:11 PM
It's definitely not screen burn - anything on the screen has a ghosting effect and it's not just limited to one place on the screen :(

I managed to get a picture of the effect on the screen but it's not a very good picture!

http://sal.neoburn.net/imagef1/files/MonitorProb1.jpg

Look behind the icon to the right a little and you can see the ghost.

Graham L
16-12-2004, 06:26 PM
OK, if it's an actual image ghost, that could be due to cheap cables, or lack of termination. Is there provision for a converter cable from VGA/DVI to three coax cables?

wintertide
16-12-2004, 06:31 PM
No, there isn't, but there is another connector for a 13W3 cable (looks like a Sun monitor style cable connector). I forgot to bring another cable home but I will hopefully remember tomorrow night and it just might solve my problem! (fingers crossed)

EDIT: Thank goodness I remembered I had KVM switch cables :cool: another cable seems to have fixed it! Thanks for all your help guys! :)

Alpha
17-12-2004, 08:59 AM
Sounds like the monitor might not have liked being moved. Ghosting could also be due to strong magnetic fields. Check that there are no other electronic equipment close by.

Our screen used to have a wobble. Turned out it was the speakers next to the screen were causing all the trouble, obivously they were not shielded.

apedix
20-04-2005, 03:46 PM
Is there any software which can fix ghost effect or can check ghost effect?

Graham L
20-04-2005, 04:04 PM
Simply, no, apedix. Ghosting is not produced by software. It's produced inside the display, and it's always a fault -- signals being reflected in cables so they are repeated on the screen.

It's more commonly seen on TV screens, when it's produced by the signal arriving on the aerial by multiple paths. Monitor cables are usually well enough designed and made so it doesn't happen. Similarly, you won't normally see ghosting in TV pictures from a VTR or DVD player.