PDA

View Full Version : undelete a partition

chiefnz
14-12-2004, 06:18 PM
Ok i'm in deep doo doo!!!!

Just installed dad's new mobo and CPU. Everything went fine until I deleted the partition on his back-up hard drive with all his files, including ALL his school work for next year.. needless to say he is less than impressed with his son's IT prowess, especially since he reminded me... "now son make sure you don't delete the wrong stuff".... "to which I obviously replied " yeah dad no worries!!!"

Now dad believes that the data is irrecoverable... I on the other hand believe it can be recovered. I've tried Partition Magic 8's undelete command but from what I can tell it only works with partitions that were deleted by Partition Magic in the 1st place.

So in short.. does anyone know of a program I can use to recover the data from the partition I deleted.

Any help would be appreciated.

cheers

chiefnz

PS: Please help prevent my imminent demise.

Spacemannz
14-12-2004, 06:48 PM
Try one of these altho it looks like theyre trials. So, dont know what theyre limited to.

http://www.handyarchive.com/free/undelete-partition/

merlin
16-12-2004, 02:44 PM
Recovery is possible - success depends on the file format - FAT32 or NTFS.

NTFS relies on restoring the backup boot sector while, at worst, FAT32 may require data recovery.

Methods for recovery are both available within the Microsoft database.

Tips for Americans traveling abroad: Carry the Koran, Paint a red dot on your forehead, Wear sandals, Never ask how the Mets are doing
- Mark Russell

Chilling_Silence
16-12-2004, 02:49 PM
Ive had 100% success with GPart - download the Insert Rescue CD:
http://insert.cd

About a hundred megs

Well worth!

Graham L
16-12-2004, 02:58 PM
Be very careful. Anything which writes to the disk (and doesn't succeed in recovering) can make it impossible to recover. :mad:

Think before you hit the button. :rolleyes:

agent
16-12-2004, 06:05 PM
I second Chill's recommendation of gpart.

When I ran aground (overwrote my entire partition table), I used gpart to analyse the hard drive and successfully restored what I trust is the correct partition table.

The reason I state "trust" is because I haven't knowingly made any changes to the data stored on said partition since recovering the partition table. Instead I canned my Linux installation and now write data to a new partition.

It'd probably be best if I go through everything and verify that it all works, but there's a heck of a lot of data to go through, and besides, the stuff which I have opened works fine - so I believe I had a 100% successful recovery.

Just make sure you read the documentation for gpart carefully - and don't make any changes until you are sure you've recovered the right partition table.

Prescott
16-12-2004, 08:12 PM
system rescue cd is also a very handy bootable cd, im downloading it now, about 110mb, whereas insert is 50mb

b1naryb0y
16-12-2004, 08:17 PM
Another fine piece of software for recovering lost partitions is Testdisk. It can be found here (http://www.cgsecurity.org/index.html?testdisk.html)

Mike
16-12-2004, 08:18 PM
So in short.. does anyone know of a program I can use to recover the data from the partition I deleted.
Any chance you're somewhere near Tauranga? I might be able to help you out.

Mike.

chiefnz
16-12-2004, 09:25 PM
No sorry Mike, I'm in Auckland, so far I've used, R-Studio, which has so far recovered 1/3 of the partition. I wish I could get my hands on the full program... sadly I cannot afford to buy the full program at the moment.

I've tried INSERT but I don't know how to get into gpart. I also tried Testdisk but I don't know how to restore the partition.

All the programs (apart from gpart which I haven't figured out yet :confused: ) show the partition I want to restore... all I need to do now is recover the files.

cheers

chiefnz

Prescott
16-12-2004, 09:33 PM
yeah, ive got insert aswell and it sure is a mission to work (well for me it is) i cant seem to find a manual or a help file on there site which sucks, i dont understand the part where it says use for eg -t and then sum description, where do we put that -t?

agent
16-12-2004, 10:00 PM
You'll want to open two console windows.

In one, type
man gpart in the other,
gpart -flags

Basically if you can get gpart to guess the partition table, then you tell it to write that partition table to the disk. Then you can boot into whatever you like and read your files normally; no need to copy them from one partition to another.

However, be careful before writing the guessed partition table to your hard drive. If it's wrong, you have a high risk of ending up with corrupt data.

Read the manual for gpart (man gpart) and tell it to do a full scan of the hard drive, if you like (this can take a long time, depending on the size of the drive), just to be sure.

lukeles
05-07-2005, 11:20 PM
[Edit: spammers post and links removed]

bob_doe_nz
05-07-2005, 11:51 PM
lukeles, You do realise that this thread was last used over 7 months ago

lukeles
08-07-2005, 08:29 PM
oh, sorry.
Thanks for your reminding.

Jen
08-07-2005, 08:35 PM
oh, sorry.
Thanks for your reminding.And on that note, please remember that commercial advertising of your product is against the forum rules. And yes, I am 100% certain you work for the company you posted. As you have broken the forum rules (twice now) for your first two posts, you have been banned.

Chilling_Silence
09-07-2005, 02:58 AM
Why would you need to buy and fork out precious $$ anyways, when gpart does the job ;)