PDA

View Full Version : Removing obsolete drivers

Mott
14-12-2004, 04:53 PM
Each time I start WinXP Pro, I get a pop up message in the bottom right hand corner of my screen which states that Windows has disabled some drivers because they are incompatable with XP.

It leads me to the Adeptec web page for upgrades, but the only upgrades are to pay for and seeing as i no longer use the software I can't see the point in that. I used to run Adeptec CD, but switched to Nero 6.
What I would like to do is get rid of the obsolete drivers,
My question is where do I find them and how do I safely get rid of them ?

Mott

Spacemannz
14-12-2004, 05:05 PM
The info might be in the registry somewhere. Yup it sounds like u had v4 of Cd creator installed, which wasnt compat with XP. Try start/run and type msconfig. Look under startup. See if there's anything saying cd creator or similar, and untick it. Then reboot.

Or start/run type regedit. Search for cd creator. Delete whatever appears, then reboot. Just make sure u delete the right entry!

Did u uninstall cd creator / directcd in Add remove programs??

FrankS
14-12-2004, 06:40 PM
A couple items that might help

1 How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310560

2 Backup the Registry of the computer.
a) Click Start and select Run.
b) Type regedit in Open box and click OK.
c) Click File and select Export.
d) Below Export range select All.
e) Choose to save it to
C:\Windows\System in Save in box and type backup in File Name.
f) Click Save.
Note: The backup file is now in the C:\Windows\System folder and named
backup.reg. If you have problems, you can simply restore the registry by
double-clicking the backup.reg file.

KatiMike
14-12-2004, 08:05 PM
Great replies so far , nice article regarding this on page 120 of the latest PC World mag , including how to poke around in the registry and not cause total havoc ...

KatiMike
Great replies so far , nice article regarding this on page 120 of the latest PC World mag , including how to poke around in the registry and not cause total havoc ...

KatiMike

KatiMike