PDA

View Full Version : Firewall not playing with Reactor

Megaman
14-12-2004, 03:41 PM
Hi team. I'm looking for a firewall. It sounds simple enough, I can always go and get Zonealarm.

It's not simple. I've currently gone through... *counts* 4 firewalls.

Zonealarm
Outpost
Kerio
and Sygate.

The reason is all of them block at least 1 of the apps I need. File Sharing, FTP or Webserver. Zonealarm blocks p2p and FTP, Outpost blockd p2p, Kerio blocks webserver, as does Outpost.

The only firewall that hasn't blocked everything is Windows Firewall... but we all know what that's like. ;)

Does anyone know of anyone that has worked very well, with little to no configuration? I know, it's a big task, but someone will know?

Thanks, MM (New name on new forum!) :)

Spacemannz
14-12-2004, 03:58 PM
Most firewalls, if u want something, u haveta add a port or ports to it, for it to work properly. Thats the point of having a firewall. Even Nortons Internet Security needs ports, for a network, and this uses a wizard. BUT you still have to go to the option in NIS to configure it.

All u have to do is add the ports for whatever. If u know what the port # is.

Rob99
14-12-2004, 05:12 PM
Sygate does all you need, I first had problems with it blocking my ftp app, but I got it working somehow, when you click through the options you may get a message saying this is avaliable on the paid version, but I was still able to configure everything. (and it was'nt cracked either)

Now I just sit behind the router firewall, no software firewall at all.

Megaman
14-12-2004, 05:54 PM
> Most firewalls, if u want something, u haveta add a
> port or ports to it, for it to work properly. Thats
> the point of having a firewall. Even Nortons Internet
> Security needs ports, for a network, and this uses a
> wizard. BUT you still have to go to the option in NIS
> to configure it.
>
> All u have to do is add the ports for whatever. If u
> know what the port # is.

I know. ports 80, 21 & whatever i've set filesharing to. but outpost was designed for n00bs. therefore, either the ports are well hidden, or not there @_@