PDA

View Full Version : News: Telecom to make 2Mbit/s UBS available in March

stu120404
14-12-2004, 10:25 AM
From Computerworld (http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/UNID/22094E890147AAABCC256F690019A673?OpenDocument&pub=Computerworld)

Earlier rollout date carries some risk

Juha Saarinen, Auckland

Despite recently citing “real technical reasons” for not doing so, Telecom now intends to release a 2Mbit/s Unbundled Bitstream Service wholesale DSL plan in March next year. The announcement was made to ISP partners last week.

At the same time, Telecom will also release the earlier promised 1Mbit/s UBS plan. In both cases, the upload speed will stay at the Telecommunications Act-mandated 128kbit/s maximum..... Read more here..... (http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/UNID/22094E890147AAABCC256F690019A673?OpenDocument&pub=Computerworld)

somebody
14-12-2004, 10:35 AM
Does anyone know why the Telecommunications Act limits upstream speed to 128k?

Marlboro
14-12-2004, 11:01 AM
I think it's designed so Telecom can restrict the development of any Voice over IP applications from competitors such as Orcon and IHUG etc...

Megaman
14-12-2004, 11:32 AM
> Telecom now intends to release a
> 2Mbit/s Unbundled Bitstream Service wholesale DSL
> plan in March next year.

Telecom "intends"? We're doomed :(

manicminer
14-12-2004, 07:31 PM
Question is how much will it be?

Shame they have to be stingy on the upload speed. Doesn't do much for my bit-torrent ratios :(

manicminer

Shame they have to be stingy on the upload speed. Doesn't do much for my bit-torrent ratios :(

manicminer

manicminer

Chilling_Silence
14-12-2004, 07:44 PM
Sucks when I wanna stream my 192kbps over the web to myself at work.....

That's why Im sticking to my 256kbps Up/Down with Ihugs service for $59.95 a month!

Unlimited, Unthrottled, Pure 256kbps!

Bliss!

Chilling_Silence

That's why Im sticking to my 256kbps Up/Down with Ihugs service for $59.95 a month!

Bliss!

Chilling_Silence

Bliss!

Chilling_Silence

Bliss!

Raikyn
14-12-2004, 08:39 PM
Well I'll be off the 'net from Feb to July so by the time I come back hopefully all the problems are sorted and I'll get a good range of options to consider ;)

Raikyn
Well I'll be off the 'net from Feb to July so by the time I come back hopefully all the problems are sorted and I'll get a good range of options to consider ;)

Raikyn

Raikyn

lagbort
14-12-2004, 08:55 PM
chill how did you get 256/256 out of ihug, im on the bliiink plan and I only get 256/128

lagbort
chill how did you get 256/256 out of ihug, im on the bliiink plan and I only get 256/128

lagbort

lagbort

agent
14-12-2004, 09:03 PM
And this article explains why my downloads always stop, why I'm constantly disconnected from IM networks, and why I can't upload to FTP sites.

Telecom drop packets to keep you within the 256kbit/s speed!

X-(

agent
And this article explains why my downloads always stop, why I'm constantly disconnected from IM networks, and why I can't upload to FTP sites.

X-(

agent

X-(

agent

X-(

manicminer
14-12-2004, 09:15 PM
> Question is how much will it be?
>

I reckon we could be looking at $79.95 easily, given that I'm already paying 49.95 a month for 256/128 ubs.

2nd question is, will there be data caps?

Didn't Telecom try to restrict monthly data to 10GB per person, only for Orcon to offer unlimited but to shoulder the cost?

Unless there's a more generous and realistic data allowance, I can't see this speed going uncapped. I'd blow 10GB easily within a week at 2MB/s.

Time will tell I suppose.

manicminer
>

I reckon we could be looking at $79.95 easily, given that I'm already paying 49.95 a month for 256/128 ubs.

Didn't Telecom try to restrict monthly data to 10GB per person, only for Orcon to offer unlimited but to shoulder the cost?

Unless there's a more generous and realistic data allowance, I can't see this speed going uncapped. I'd blow 10GB easily within a week at 2MB/s.

manicminer
>

manicminer
>

Murray P
14-12-2004, 09:18 PM
> And this article explains why my downloads always
> stop, why I'm constantly disconnected from IM
> networks, and why I can't upload to FTP sites.
>
> Telecom drop packets to keep you within the 256kbit/s
> speed!
>
> X-(

Actually, there's something a bit screwy about this. They say the hold ups have been die to changing the rate limiting from packet dropping to packet queuing. But I seem to remember a while back, people were getting up in arms over the changes made at the time to change from packet dropping to queuing. It was mucking up peoples ping and causing lag, especially to the annoyance of online gamers.

So the reason (excuse) that implementing that particular change would normally take much longer than from now to March, seems on the face of it to not quiet mesh with what they have already done and are continuing to do. Maybe someone with some knowledge of the workings of these things, like Ninja, could shed a bit of light on the subject.

I have a funny feeling it's not going to happen in March anyway. Just going by past experience, plus the preemptive excuse has been hinted at.

Murray P
>
> speed!
>
> X-(

Actually, there's something a bit screwy about this. They say the hold ups have been die to changing the rate limiting from packet dropping to packet queuing. But I seem to remember a while back, people were getting up in arms over the changes made at the time to change from packet dropping to queuing. It was mucking up peoples ping and causing lag, especially to the annoyance of online gamers.

So the reason (excuse) that implementing that particular change would normally take much longer than from now to March, seems on the face of it to not quiet mesh with what they have already done and are continuing to do. Maybe someone with some knowledge of the workings of these things, like Ninja, could shed a bit of light on the subject.

I have a funny feeling it's not going to happen in March anyway. Just going by past experience, plus the preemptive excuse has been hinted at.

Murray P
>
> speed!
>
> X-(

Murray P
>
> speed!
>
> X-(