PDA

View Full Version : Lost Word Install Key

Winston001
13-12-2004, 11:10 PM
I imagine this is a common problem but I couldn't find anything searching PF1.

I have a Word 2000 CD (legally) and have lost the install key. Actually I sort of have it except it has been copied down incorrectly - and doesn't work.

What can I do?

Scouse
13-12-2004, 11:18 PM
Hi. RockXp will work on Word 2003 but I'm not sure if it works on 2000.
It shows the keys for both the operating system and Word.

george12
13-12-2004, 11:58 PM
Keyfinder (http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder.shtml)

Will tell you the Windows (any ver) and Office (any ver) keys on a system with it installed.

If you DON'T have a system with the Office installed, there is not much we can do.

godfather
14-12-2004, 10:02 AM
The keyfinder programs will not work on Office 2000, the key is encrypted.

Its worth a ring to MS, as they should be able to help.

drb1
14-12-2004, 02:24 PM
Winston,

Very unfortunate, should one post a disposeable @ add some kind soul might send you a few if you get one that works nothing is really wromg as you brought it and paid for it in the beginning.

Is your version one that requires activation after so many uses, or does it just setup and run.

D.

george12
14-12-2004, 02:52 PM
> The keyfinder programs will not work on Office 2000, the key is encrypted.

works on my Office 2000 :o

PaulD
14-12-2004, 03:17 PM
Have you checked it?

from the keyfinder faq
"3) Why doesn't the Keyfinder support Office 2000?

I cannot figure out how to find the key for Office 2000. If you have knowledge on how to extract the key, I will gladly support it in the Keyfinder. Please send info to jellybean@magicaljellybean.com. If you have source code to find the key, I will worship you, add support in the Keyfinder, and give you credit."

Winston001
14-12-2004, 03:20 PM
Cheers guys. My email is in my profile. I'll try George's suggestion just to see.

godfather
14-12-2004, 03:38 PM
Just an observation....

All versions of Office 2000 obtained retail in NZ should/will require activation, so if any kind soul "helped Winston001 out", they could find themselves locked out of their own copy if they needed to reinstall it in the near future.

drb1
14-12-2004, 03:51 PM
Godfather,

I have one very genuine M/s disk, all the shiny logos M/s tags ect look's exactly like the other version I have thats a pair.

The pair are part of the 3 disk locall fpp supply in a 3 disk box.

The other came with a machine that may have had an Asian or American primary install.

The single one is an SR1 version I have never had any trouble with it.

I have been considering selling all of the above.

Do you think someone may have issues with the single disk version that does not require activation, if I onsold it.??

D.

godfather
14-12-2004, 04:14 PM
NZ was one of the "experiments" by MS when they were looking at activation of software. Hence we inherited it here with *most* retail software before many other parts of the world.

Simply this:

If the software does not require activation because it was not intended to be activated, there can be no issues.

Caveat:
As long it is not "OEM" software, in which case it must accompany the hardware and not be sold separately.

That is not to say that an OEM version that does not require activation will not work, just that you are in breach of the licence by selling it without the hardware it came with.

Spout
14-12-2004, 04:42 PM
hmmm... I thought that it's the software that's licenced, not the CD.

Aslo I'm pretty sure that OEM licencing only applied to new sales, selling second hand doesn't count. Otherwise what happens if the hardware dies?

godfather
14-12-2004, 05:24 PM
If you want to be more than "pretty sure", you need to read the EULA.

If the hardware dies, then so does the software licence. Unless you rescusitate the hardware again.

Some typical FAQ's on the subject:

Can I give my OEM Copy of Office to someone else?
No. An OEM copy are forever married to the PC on which it was originally installed. You can't give it away. You can, however, give or sell the computer (including the Office software) itself to another party.

My computer came with an OEM copy of Office. I'm buying a new computer and I'm going to throw my old computer in to the river. Can I install my existing OEM copy of Office on my new computer?
No. The OEM copy of Office is forever married to the machine on which it was originally installed. It doesn't matter whether you have the disks. That OEM copy is part and parcel of the original machine on which it was installed.

But what if I'm giving it to a non-profit organization or a school?
It doesn't matter. You can't give away OEM Copies of Office to anyone. Again, though, you can give the computer itself away (including the Office software), but you can't give away just the software. Under the EULA, the machine and the OEM Office are inseparable.

Graham L
14-12-2004, 05:29 PM
I wonder when the EULA will contain equally binding clauses referring to the quality of the software, freedom from errors, software conforming to description in advertising, etc. ;-)

george12
14-12-2004, 05:34 PM
Just give him the computer,

All except motherboard, case, hard drive, RAM, any PCI cards, video card, optical drives, CPU, or any other physical component except the office PC.

;)

drb1
14-12-2004, 05:48 PM
Godfather,

Not winding you up , just kicking things around.

I made a backup copy of the two 2K proffesional disks.

When I install/reinstall from these disks the "Activation" does not work/demand attention??

I made no mods, just straight coppies from Nero Immages??

Any Ideas??

D.

godfather
14-12-2004, 05:52 PM
> Any Ideas??

No.

Is it a problem?

drb1
14-12-2004, 06:08 PM
Godfather,

No, just curious.

You seem to have many answers for these issues so would be one of the people to discuss it with, Logically.

D.

johnboy
14-12-2004, 08:10 PM
How to obtain a new product key for Office program setup
here (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;823570)
hth

johnboy
hth

johnboy
hth

johnboy
hth

Winston001
14-12-2004, 09:26 PM
Thanks John.

I've had a thought. Doesn't happen often. ;) My problem is my PC has had a reinstall, so all the old programs are sitting in "Old PC". Including Office 2000.

When I try to install Word from the CD, I'm told the key is invalid. Could the installer see the existing copy and therefore refuse a second install?

Not that the original is installed as such. It is just sitting there. And it won't run from the icon in Old PC.

I might just use Open Office.

Winston001
Thanks John.

I've had a thought. Doesn't happen often. ;) My problem is my PC has had a reinstall, so all the old programs are sitting in "Old PC". Including Office 2000.

When I try to install Word from the CD, I'm told the key is invalid. Could the installer see the existing copy and therefore refuse a second install?

Not that the original is installed as such. It is just sitting there. And it won't run from the icon in Old PC.

Winston001
Thanks John.

Winston001
Thanks John.

drb1
14-12-2004, 09:39 PM
> When I try to install Word from the CD, I'm told the
> key is invalid. Could the installer see the existing
> copy and therefore refuse a second install?

Winston,

Totally un related, if it sees the other, you would get an allready installed, or upgrade type message.

D.

drb1

Winston,

Totally un related, if it sees the other, you would get an allready installed, or upgrade type message.

D.

drb1

Winston,

D.

drb1

Winston,

D.