PDA

View Full Version : Possibly faulty PSU?

Jen C
13-12-2004, 10:23 PM
Hi All

I have a P3 450MHz 128 MB RAM with a 230W PSU computer here belonging to a friend, which dual boots Win98 and W2K. They told me it had a virus, and didn't work anymore (that is the total description I got). Anyway, when I first booted it said it had detected a registry configuration error and then listed some errors.

Next restart informed me of a start disk failure, and by running Maxtor's HDD diagnositic utility confirmed the HDD was faulty (gave me an error number to use if returning the drive). I even booted the machine with Knoppix and was unable to mount the HDD. During the next boot up,the monitor started flashing constantly soon as POST finishes and just sits on the disk error. The screen flashes as well while in the BIOS. There is nothing wrong with the monitor as I can use it on another machine with no problems.

I then pulled out all the IDE and floppy cables/power and added them back one by one. After adding them all back, the monitor has stopped its continuous flashing problem, but still continues to flash once every minute or two otherwise.

So, I thought I had it covered with a dead HDD, but now this monitor problem gets me. Before going ahead a getting a replacement HDD, I am concerned about the what other underlying problems it might have, possibly the PSU?? ... but how much of a co-incidence would that be with a dud HDD as well? Any ideas?

Thanks
Jen :)

Rob99
13-12-2004, 10:27 PM
Does the monitor plug into the wall or the psu

Jen C
13-12-2004, 10:29 PM
It plugs separately into the power.

george12
13-12-2004, 10:31 PM
I say the motherboard.

Jen C
13-12-2004, 10:35 PM
Oh I should add, although it shouldn't make a difference I think, this PC is on a KVM switch with another PC which doesn't have any display issues.

Murray P
13-12-2004, 10:36 PM
Graphics card or onboard video are possibilities, it wouldn't be the first time multiple faults happen within a short space of time, especially in an older machine. However, the PSU is as good a place as any to start, do you have a spare lying around? I'd guess not or you would have tried it. What does the board itself look like, a bit dated for cap problems but, nothing obviouse?

Murray P
13-12-2004, 10:37 PM
Ok, PSU or board, unless the HDD is on a contoller card?

Rob99
13-12-2004, 10:38 PM
Sounds terminal

PSU?? Monitor?? HD??

What next??

Probally cheaper to buy cheap second hand computer than replace parts seperatly

Jen C
13-12-2004, 10:39 PM
I do have my spare machine, which I could rip out the PSU of ... but a bit relunctant to do that at the moment.

I've checked the mobo for leaking cap's etc and apart from a truckload of dust (which I have cleared out), it looks fine. The PC was built in mid-1999.

Jen C
13-12-2004, 10:43 PM
> Ok, PSU or board, unless the HDD is on a contoller
> card?

HDD isn't on a controller card, and I think I have confirmed that as a dud now, just worried about the flashing monitor before recommending they spend money on a replacement one.

This PC is an old one now (they have just replaced it), and it is intended for their kids to play on only.

Jen
16-12-2004, 11:23 AM
Well an update on this PC, the flashing monitor issue seems to have gone away now so who know's what was going on there initially. I have sourced a 2nd hand HDD now, so hopefully this will be the end of their problems.

Thanks for all your advice :)

roofing
02-09-2005, 02:28 AM
Do you have problems with roofing or you are looking for new one? [Edit: URL removed] may help you

[Edit: It really does say something about a persons IQ when they spam their roofing company which is located on a different continent. You have been banned for spamming, although I think being so stupid is punishment enough ... - Jen (Moderator) ]