PDA

View Full Version : Fedora Core3 and XP

JohnD
13-12-2004, 10:07 PM
I have been evaluating SuSE 9.2 for classroom use for 2005 and have given up - lots of bugs seemed to surface forcing me to look elsewhere.

Being a RH9 user since April 2003, I went to Fedora Core3. Have installed on several PCs with generally good results. In the classroom I need to dual boot XP Prof with Core3 so I did a test. All is well except for GRUB. When I first tried to boot at the end of the install it wouldn't. Did a restore of the MBR (from Linux rescue with /sbin/grub-install /dev/hda) and it booted (both Core3 and XP).

However now every time I go into XP it distroys GRUB and I have to repeat the above re-write of the MBR. I can go into Linux and out again with no problem. When I reboot after going into XP, a continual cycle of reboots happen with (I think) Grub 1_5 visible.

Any ideas to make booting reliable would be appreciated.

Thanks
John

Prescott
13-12-2004, 10:16 PM
stab in the dark here, but did you install the boot loader in the right partion, when i dual booted yoper and xp i didnt install lilo in the right place i always chose hda1 whereas i should have installed it in hda, when i installed it correctly it worked,
chill or jen will know.

JohnD
13-12-2004, 10:21 PM
Installed in the right place - the MBR which is /dev/hda with no partition number.

Thanks though.

beama
13-12-2004, 11:06 PM
school hmmmm
Are you running any software hard drive protection such as HDguard or Deep Freeze, if so try disabling them, then fix grub and try the xp boot again this software maybe protecting your MBR in windows and therefore restoring it on a windows boot,

personally I prefer lilo

Chilling_Silence
14-12-2004, 12:28 AM
I would stick with Grub - Its been Redhats weapon of choice since redhat 8. Ive never personally been a Lilo fan.

It _shouldnt_ be doing that, so I agree that there's likely some sorta software in Doze killing it.

Chill.

JohnD
14-12-2004, 09:04 AM
To explain a bit more - the PC causing the trouble has been dual booted with firstly LILO and recently with GRUB (RedHat9 & XP) with no problems until Core 3 was installed.

I have enabled the BIOS antivirus feature which should complain if the MBR is accessed - no such messages have appeared.

johnd
17-12-2004, 09:58 PM
I have solved the problem. When I did the install I reallocated existing Linux partitions to FC3. At one stage it refused to do a simple allocation (in disk druid). On the second attempt it worked.

I left WinXP on the first partition (NTFS) and deleted all other partitions (including a FAT32 one). Then a new FC3 install on new partitions and all is well. There must have been something slightly screwy with the partitions.

Thanks
John