PDA

View Full Version : OT * XMAS ROAD TRIP - North Island Suggestions.....

Exwesty
13-12-2004, 08:35 PM
I've got a few days off at Xmas and New Year and heading down to Wellington for a few days + a few days up my sleeve before then.....

Leaving Auckland and heading south.... Why should we stay in your town or city and what's there to do for a family for a few hours or a day..... Suggestions please.

beetle
13-12-2004, 09:06 PM
Um which way do you intend to drive down the island? main drag down or parapara's? New Plymouth has nice things to do, so does Taupo, or even Tauranga, Rotorua...... age related activities ? and $$$$ value or free things to do????
Almost anyway you go has things to do, go to your local information centre and have a nosy, or get on the net and check out some tourist sites, of things to do and see.

www.jasons.com
www.tourism.net.nz

http://www.newzealand.com/travel/
http://www.leadingattractions.co.nz/index.htm

hope these work.

beetle

Steve_L
13-12-2004, 09:16 PM
Most people zoom down SH1 via Taupo and Taihape. OK, fine, but why not veer off at Taupo and go to Napier? The road to Napier is a breeze, tons to see and do in HBay (been to the national aquarium?), then get to Wgtn via the Wairarapa. Or if you don't get to HBay at all, once in Wgtn, head up the Hutt Valley and go over the Rimaukas. Go to Martinborough - lovely place - and ask the locals or info centre how to get to the glow worm cave: it is entry by donation (gold coins or whatever) and it is super cool - many have said that the experience is better than the Waitomo glow worm caves. Or head to the coast from Masterton and go to Castlepoint for the day (can do it from Wgtn): spectacular, stunning - the family will love it (as long as it is not raining and 120 kph winds!).

Mike
13-12-2004, 09:19 PM
Avoid Tauranga at New Years - it's not worth the bother :) You'd end up spending most of the weekend stuck in traffic, and then probably get arrested in a riot, and you'll find you can't drink anyway (liquor bans through most of the party spots in Tauranga).

Of course if you like that sort of thing, 1/2 of Auckland will be down here anyway :D

Mike.

Murray P
13-12-2004, 10:19 PM
While your in Martinborough, have a wee sample of the local beverages. There's a nice little brewery too, if wine isn't your thing. Most watering holes are within a few minutes of the town centre. For a day trip Railways puts on a train and bus, no driving.

Rob99
13-12-2004, 10:23 PM
When I visited the NI we drove down through the center, I was amazed how many places had thermal hot pools

CYaBro
14-12-2004, 08:27 AM
What about heading north, say to Maitai Bay :D.
The road is now clear! Awesome beach too by the way!

andrew93
14-12-2004, 08:55 AM
> What about heading north, say to Maitai Bay :D.
> The road is now clear! Awesome beach too by the way!

you had me going until I read this article (http://xtramsn.co.nz/news/0,,11964-3938190,00.html)

John H
14-12-2004, 09:01 AM
If you like bush and lakes and sea coast, plus some spectacular and rough roads, you could try Auckland - Rotorua - Murupara - Ruatahuna - Lake Waikaremoana (good walks around here, especially a short walk to Lake Waikareiti which you could take a pram on!) - Wairoa, and then down through Hawkes Bay to Wellington.

Napier is not a bad place for a break, and there is all that lovely wine and fruit through the Bay. Yum

John

JJJJJ
14-12-2004, 09:09 AM
My advice is stay home,unless you like driving in bumper to bumper traffic.
If you have to go to Wgton then fly.
Jack

Oxie
14-12-2004, 09:53 AM
Exwesty

As Beetle says, there is plenty to do in New Plymouth. Pukekura Park is delightful and throughout December/January the park is illuminated at night. Brooklands Park is nice also and has a free little zoo. The museum is definitely worth a visit, and the coastal walkway is there if you like plenty of exercise. If you are into surfing Oakura Beach is very close to New Plymouth. There are plenty of cafes and restaurants in New Plymouth, and if you don't feel like doing anything you can just sit and look at the majestic mountain (if it is showing). Now I am wondering why I ever moved to Auckland!

Oxie (Lyn)

Ladybug
14-12-2004, 12:33 PM
Well put Lyn. You make me what to go to New Plymouth. Ooops thats right I'm here :)

Leaving here heading South you can drive around the coast to Hawera or through some of the smaller places inland Stratford have a Pioneer Village and near Normanby have a museum called Tawhiti which are both nice to look at if you like those sorts of things. In Hawera there is a nice cafe call Dairylands which has a BIG cow and then its an easy drive on the Wanganui (approx 2 hours from New Plymouth)

Enjoy your break!!!!

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
14-12-2004, 12:46 PM
> has a BIG cow and then its an easy drive on the
> Wanganui (approx 2 hours from New Plymouth)

And of course, you can't go past Wanganui without a night at beetle's place and a day visiting the prestigious world-renowed metla's Computer Medic shop ;-).... Hopefully, he'll be there...

Exwesty
14-12-2004, 05:44 PM
Trouble is finding somewhere to stay thats not either full or wants an arm and a leg for a night...

Down thru Hawkes Bay or Napier seems the go at the moment or maybe even a night or two in New Plymouth.

I can leave anytime after boxing day I guess and don't have to be in Wellington till the 1st, so where's the good places for New Years Eve....

I'll bring my own fireworks.... lol

Murray P
14-12-2004, 05:51 PM
Go down one side then back up the other. There'll be some fireworks on the waterfront, Oriental bay probably. Plenty of entertainment to be had around Courtney Place through to Cuba St and down towards Featherston St.