PDA

View Full Version : Phone line probs, causing no dial tone for dialup.

beetle
13-12-2004, 07:12 PM
LOL
well get all the comps fixed, touched up and dodads added and go to conect and phone lines wont let it, nothing has changed just added same comps, same phones as always, and had not fiddled with anything?

finaly after a hour of trying different connections, unconnecting etc, with one phone disconnected, one comp line disconnected i can get online?

what has changed?

telecom says nothing wrong with the line. why does it now think it is too much?

with everything plugged in no tone, nothing ...says its getting an outside line, but does not ring anywhere, and comps say no dial tone.
X-(
frustration, i want to fix this, hubby says call the phone man tomorow........ grrrrrh and last time i paid em too much for nothing.
i want it fixed, or sorted so it can all work fine like before.
i know too many things on the system will drain it, but the comps plug in before the pabx?(sp?) and the phones in after.

help me through some steps of fixits please people... i can do this.
:D
beetle

PaulD
13-12-2004, 07:51 PM
What's this about PABX? How many phone lines?
If all your phones work as normal but your PC won't dial, have you got the right modem cord in the right hole?

beetle
13-12-2004, 08:22 PM
Ok for the hundred thousandth time i unplugged everything and left it and then replugged it in later............ and now it goes??????? the dial ups, no idea about the phones........ least of my worries.............

friggin machines.................and operator blondeness........coffee please...... :(

how do i manage to get into these mess's ???????

bah.

beetle

george12
13-12-2004, 08:26 PM
> how do i manage to get into these mess's ???????

> ... and operator blondeness

You answer your own question beetle :D

beetle
13-12-2004, 08:33 PM
Ok another question............

Telecom rang up to discuss billing and line options........ they told hubby that xtra / net connection useage from me shows up as using a business line.

when it does not get physically plugged into a business line, and actually gets plugged into a personal line before it enters the pabax and so therefore cannot posibly use another line then can it????????

is it possible for them to be picking up visitors using a phone line for net usuage? and then saying its me? to try and instigate us to install jetstream?

thats what he suggested after he said this to hubby, ?

but theres no way my net useage could do a loop back could it?

?:|

beetle

godfather
13-12-2004, 08:44 PM
Only the person that configured your PABX could answer that beetle.

Its entirely possible that the "personal line" could select an outgoing line that was a business line in the PABX.

You would need to know if the "personal line" was segregated in the PABX, and also ask the question "why does it even go through the PABX"? If indeed the "personal line" does go through the PABX at all?

Again, you need to ask whoever set it up if it is actually possible for that to occur.

beetle
13-12-2004, 08:50 PM
I know that all the lines do go through the pabx, but the net/ phone jack does not, it is installed before the pabax due to the poor speed i had with the pabx rendering it almost useless......when connected to dial up beofre the change. and after this jack box it then goes into the pabx.......dont know why, but it does.

but it cant do a loop back from the other side of the pabx surely? into the pabax and then out again on a new line....?:|

and i ll have to ask but usually mange to confuse them, as to what im asking so had been putting it off as usual............ a good beetle trick.

beetle

godfather
13-12-2004, 09:11 PM
Sounds right, the backplane transfer on a PABX often cripples data speed, so you need to connect before the PABX as you suggest.

Are you sure that the socket really_is_on_the_private_line?

beetle
13-12-2004, 09:14 PM
yeah cos it blocks all private incoming calls, so everyone gets mad and have to ring work number.

otherwise it would go through wouldnt it? the calls i mean. and at the moment they dont.

beetle

Peter Coleman
13-12-2004, 09:53 PM
If I remember correctly,you run a motel don't you?.If so, you may find that all your lines,even the home line,have been classed as business lines for charging as far as Telecom are concerned.It may be charged as a home business,so check with Telecom how they are billed.If you want to check the line it is plugged into,just plug a phone into the jack and dial 1957,and it will read back to you the number of the phone line you are on.

Scouse
14-12-2004, 09:31 AM
Hi Beetle. This is a no-hurt message, but why does this not surprise me:
>and i ll have to ask but usually mange to confuse them, as to what im asking

beetle
14-12-2004, 12:17 PM
LOL Scouse..... are you saying because its me asking (and i confuse all people not just them....) or do they have not the foggiest anyway????? they phone techs, not gurus....:D

Peter > and to dialing the 1957 bit need to have caller id then? which currently we havent got......

Thanxs Goddie.

having a beetle day then i guess....... no different to any other day i spose. :D

beetle

godfather
14-12-2004, 01:37 PM
beetle, doing what Peter Coleman suggests does not require caller ID.

There is a voice the speaks the number to you.

Graham L
14-12-2004, 05:02 PM
Your personal phone line should not be connected "before" the PABX. It should go to your personal phones and personal computer. ;-)

Lines going into a PABX should have nothing else on them.

When you get it all working, get a box of sticky labels. Write identifying numbers on them and attach them to all the cables. Put matching labels on the sockets which they live in.

beetle
14-12-2004, 06:18 PM
Why should it not be before incoming lines of the pabx?
it doesnt go through the pabx at all where the comps plug in...........????

it is working? why do i need stickies? because its a blonde thing........ :(

nothing else on them such as what?????

now im confused and i started the beep thread.................
:(

beetle

godfather
14-12-2004, 06:34 PM
What Graham was saying, is why does the personal line go through the PABX at all?

There should be no need, its not part of the business phone system - or is it? Perhaps all lines are classified as Business as suggested above?

beetle
14-12-2004, 06:40 PM
I have no idea why it goes through the pabx..........?:|

just that it does.

all calls are monitored, and reported on by callista. down to how much it costs. how long and who called and where to. so nothing gets past the system........

beyound my comprehension at this point and i also wont get a straight answer im sure.

beetle

godfather
14-12-2004, 07:28 PM
So... if Callista even monitors your personal line, and it goes via the PABX, then its probably a "personal line" in name only?

In reality it's just another business line that you use for your "home number"?

Hence the business rates even for internet calls.

godfather
So... if Callista even monitors your personal line, and it goes via the PABX, then its probably a "personal line" in name only?

godfather

godfather

beetle
17-12-2004, 11:09 AM
Hmmmmm........

It shows up in the phone bill as being at a different rate than the business phones...
Xtra shows up at a different rate as well.
and it is always a really large bill..... :( no stability per month of a similar priced bill yet.

and they call it the homeline, and its priced as a home line, just havnt done that check someone before suggested.....may try that.

thanxs

Graham L
17-12-2004, 11:17 AM
You use the sticky labels to make a hardware "Restore Point". It gives you a chance of getting back to a configuration which worked. ;)

theother1
17-12-2004, 11:32 AM
how come everyone in this thread is a guest????????? :confused: Up until the third page that is!!!

beetle
17-12-2004, 11:44 AM
other1, this is a old forum post, where we were registered, but cannot take entitlement to these posts, in the new forum and had to reregister, we cannot crossover the posts names or post count wise....but its still us...... :D and we have just added to the post / thread.

clear as mud???????? :D