PDA

View Full Version : Speed my system could get with 52 X CD Writer

Misty
13-12-2004, 06:42 PM
Seems like my CD Writer is giving up the Ghost .

Probably buy a replacement (from QMB Computers for approx $40) which is a Ricoh MP 7520A 52 X 24 X52.

Could my AMD Athlon 900 Mgz cope with the full speed of 52 X write ?
I know that it is possible for me to run it slower if necessary. If it cannot cope with 52 X write, then what speed could it probably cope with please ?

I understand, correctly or otherwise, that the speed is directly proportional - ie should be 6 1/2 times faster at top speed !?

Have done lots (and lots) of checking on various things to do with recording/writing today so have learned that 52 X 24 X 52 refers to Write/Re-write/Read.

Have really tried not to ask questions that I could find out the answers from other sources. Hope am not a nuisance !
Misty :|

george12
13-12-2004, 07:00 PM
First off, 52x32x52 is a better choice. Or even 52x40x52.

Anyway, that is 7.8MB per second, which your PC should be able to cope with. Run a hard disk benchmark, and see what you get in MB/sec.

If it is more than around 12MB/sec you will be fine :).

Cheers George

Prescott
13-12-2004, 07:08 PM
what sort of benchmark george?

george12
13-12-2004, 07:24 PM
FreshDiagnose (http://www.freshdevices.com/freshdiag.html) will tell you (among many many other things) the read and write speeds of your hard drive.

I recommend the program, it provides some quite interesting information.

By the way, if your mouse freezes for ~30 secs while performing a benchmark, don't worry it's by design

tweak\'e
13-12-2004, 07:41 PM
sisoft is a bit better for benchmarking however its not really needed in this case. any 900mhz system is going to be fast enough. you only need 300mhz system for cdwriters to work at full speed and you can get away with a lesser system.

its more important that the OS and software is in good shape (ie no spyware/virus crap running in the background hogging the system).

Spacemannz
13-12-2004, 07:52 PM
I use an Asus 52x24x52 here with 52x blanks here no prob at all. The faster the blank cd, the faster the burn. If your PC can handle it.

Most can

PaulD
13-12-2004, 08:11 PM
Most writers only reach speeds above 40X on the last 100MB or so of data on a full CD-R. So unless you are burning a full disk the top speed is meaningless.

Misty
13-12-2004, 08:21 PM
Hi George
I have downloaded FreshDiagnose and entered the registration number but it has not recognised me as a user yet to allow me to check the benchmark for the hard disk. I suspect that it is because they seem to have made it a pre-requisition that a person has to download and register all four programs that they outline - seems a bit heavy (and now I have some misgivings !).

A late thought (after I had rushed in and downloaded FreshDiagnose) was that a program that Chill had given me might already do the job. It is "Everest". Checked it out - but although it has two benchmarks, they are for "memory read" and "memory write".

Tweak'e - thanks for your comments also. I do try to keep my system free of spyware and especially viruses etc and will continue to be vigilant.

Overall, will wait and see if FreshDiagnose comes to the party. Otherwise will go on the other assurances, or alternatively consider downloading the other three programs (mmmh !).

Thanks for all your inputs anyway
Misty :)

george12
13-12-2004, 08:22 PM
What Paul?

My burner goes at the same speed whole burn, it's a pretty basic one, Lite-on 52x32x52x.

I have to manually tell it to, as I use 48x discs (burn fine at 52x though ;)). But it has never changed speed during the burn process. This can be verified by timing the burn, it is at exactly 52x the whole time apart from the first 4 seconds (spinning up).

Others may differ of course. I find it quite funny actually, that its burning speeds are more stable than reading.

george12
13-12-2004, 08:24 PM
Misty, I never bothered to register. Are you sure it is forcing you to?

It wants you to sure, and may nag a little, but it will run without it (Unless they've changed it :o).

Cheers George

Misty
13-12-2004, 08:36 PM
Hi George
Yes I am sure because when I go to the Benchmark for Hard Disk there is an icon for start which is a clapper. The clapper, likes they use on films is in grey and cannot be activated just now. Likewise with all the other benchmarks. It says beside each of the clappers that they are only for registered users. I have done what they say re registering but only for the one, and not for all four, of the programs that they specify at the beginning. I have had a look around Fresh diagnose and everything else is okay - in that the program outlines the info about each item.
cheers
Misty

PaulD
13-12-2004, 08:42 PM
George, read up a definition on Constant Angular Velocity or CAV. The drive motor spins at the same speed but the track runs in a spiral getting bigger as it gets closer to the outside.
CDRLABS test on Liteon 52x (http://www.cdrlabs.com/reviews/index.php?reviewid=194&page=Performance)

agent_24
13-12-2004, 09:19 PM
Nero has a harddrive benchmark utility built in:

Open nero, go to 'file', then 'preferences'

click the 'cache' tab.

click 'test all drive speeds' (these are for harddrives only)

I assume you can use nero infotool and/or? nero drivespeed as well if you have them.

Misty
14-12-2004, 05:21 PM
Thanks Agent 24, but I now use CD BurnerXP Pro3. I ditched Easy CD Creator 4 thinking that was the problem whereas it now seems that it is my CD Writer (or CD Burner if you prefer).

Tried FreshDiagnose but it still is showing grey. Not to worry as I am now reassured that I will get very good benefit from going with this faster CD Writer.

Re the debate - I am not technically literate and have not looked yet at the links but I wonder if both are correct in that one has a CD Writer that writes at a constant speed throughout the disk and the other has a CD Writer that speeds up towards the end. Maybe that different manufacturers see the situation differently - one saying lets live with the situation as is - the other thinking that it would be best to have a constant speed ? I am probably naive however !
cheers
Misty

george12
14-12-2004, 05:37 PM
Paul is right and I stand corrected.

I was just misled by Nero telling me of the speed being constant at 7,800KB/sec. It must have been lying ;)

agent_24
14-12-2004, 09:03 PM
Nero 5 should show you the actual burn speed, whereas nero 6 just shows the max speed you have selcted for the burn.

I have X-Setup (latest version) installed and with that can modify something that will allow the actual burn speed to be shown (might be reg entry, or option in nero - not sure, just download X-setup If you want it easy)

agent_24
Nero 5 should show you the actual burn speed, whereas nero 6 just shows the max speed you have selcted for the burn.

I have X-Setup (latest version) installed and with that can modify something that will allow the actual burn speed to be shown (might be reg entry, or option in nero - not sure, just download X-setup If you want it easy)

agent_24

agent_24