PDA

View Full Version : xandros fees ???

anaroo
13-12-2004, 11:03 AM
Hi, i amlooking at buying xandros v3 os but could not see any fees for updates as they are in red hat ot lindows..are there any for xandors? i hope not

John H
13-12-2004, 12:47 PM
As a registered Xandros user, I received an email that said (amongst other things):

"Take advantage of our Early Bird Specials to be among the first to trade up to version 3 of the Xandros Desktop OS !!

"From To Price
"Deluxe 2.x to Deluxe 3.0 $US59.95

"Standard 2.x to Deluxe 3.0 $US69.95

"Standard 2.x to Standard 3.0 $US39.95

"Premium Members contact Customer Service to get up to $40 off the regular Deluxe price of $89.95 or up to $25 off the Standard price of $49.95."

The latter refers to Xandros Premium members.

John

anaroo
13-12-2004, 02:15 PM
Thanks John H,

What about patches etc , does it cost to download them?

Ta, Anaroo

John H
13-12-2004, 02:29 PM
>What about patches etc , does it cost to download them?

No, this is the first time I have been charged, because it is a full version change.

With Xandros you connect to Xandros Networks through a built in "browser" that is included in Xandros solely for this purpose. Once you are connected you enter Administrator mode (under File menu), then when that is complete (you just have to enter the Administrator (ie root) password, then select "Install all latest updates from Xandros" from the File menu, and it checks what you have and installs any updates for free.

You can also use Xandros Networks to install any DEB or RPM files you might have downloaded - much simpler than Mandrake or Fedora for a Linux newbie like me. You can find "Install DEB file" and "Install RPM file" under the File menu as well.

Some folks are a bit snooty about Xandros because it is thought to be "too Windows like", but for me I prefer it because I want my computer to work for me; I don't get any thrills from compiling kernels etc (whatever that means!).

John H
13-12-2004, 02:40 PM
anaroo, you might like to have a look at this:

$199.98 Linux Desktop (http://www.xandros.com/news/press/release33.html)

Quote: "...Wal-Mart.com is carrying a fully loaded Linux desktop computer with the pre-installed Xandros Desktop Operating System (OS) for only $199.98. Built by Microtel and available at Wal-Martís online store,* the new desktop PC offers a complete suite of pre-installed software for home, school, and small office desktop use. The PC provides an affordable alternative to all other PCs on the market today. The $199.98 price tag includes a free subscription to the Xandros Networks news and update facility which features a huge inventory of open source and commercial software that can be downloaded and installed with a single click."

Strewth.

John

John H
13-12-2004, 02:49 PM
anaroo, before you splash out, you may like to check out your hardware compatibility at: Xandros Hardware Compatibility (http://support.xandros.com/hclv3/)

I have checked the list and it isn't complete, as my wireless card doesn't show there but it is now working under v3.0 and it wouldn't work under v2.5

There are also user forums on the Xandros website and you could check out any uncertainties there: Xandros User Forums (http://forums.xandros.com/)

John

mejobloggs
13-12-2004, 07:36 PM
Wow, thos wal-mart xandros pc's would be perfect for some people, and nice and cheap too!

drb1
13-12-2004, 07:49 PM
Thats about $500-00 local plus local delivery.

Dosent say how long the Zandros sub is for, probably only 1 year, still would be nice to see somethig simular in the local market at that money .

Not controlled buy the likes of the old pc company people.

Note, Box, K/board, Mouse, Speakers. No Monitor.

D.

John H
13-12-2004, 10:42 PM
Yeah, I noticed no monitor. Not actually mentioned though, whereas it said there wasn't a modem. Funny not to exclude the monitor in their ad when they refer to there being no modem, I thought.

anaroo
14-12-2004, 05:48 PM
Great feedback, will follow up your tips..but from reviews xandors v 3 looks preety good for me. i will try to intall it on my exisitng pc 2 yeras old and new laptop asus...wish me luck

Ta, Anaroo