PDA

View Full Version : Disk Controller Failure

bubbyboy
12-12-2004, 10:49 PM
I took the hdd out of a windows 98 machine made it a slave and transferred files onto an xp machine. After returning the jumper settings to the Master position and booting the pc up I got the error message "Disk Controller Failure". I've tried all the other possible jumper settings and get the error messages "invalid disk" and "disk controller failure" I've also checked all of the connections on the hdd and motherboard, but still no luck in successfully booting the system. Ots not possible to do a full system restore as i no longer have the restore disks either...... any ideas?

beama
12-12-2004, 11:07 PM
try booting with a boot disk then once at the A:\> type C: then press enter
What happens then post back any error messages
check also that the ribbon cable is pluged the right way to the H/D red stripe to pin 1

bubbyboy
13-12-2004, 10:15 AM
If i use the system restore diskette from another pc in it I can get to a C:prompt and can view all of the files on the hdd, windows/my documents etc, everything that should be there is there. I just can't boot it from that point.
The ribbon that connects the hdd to the motherboard is connected correctly.
Using a hdd from another pc doesn't work all i get is the error message "error loading operating system"
Other error messages i get are;
invalid disk, insert system disk and press any key.
(but wheres the "any" key LOL) sorry bad joke.

Spacemannz
13-12-2004, 10:26 AM
Sounds like a floppy or cd is in if that error invalid disk keeps popping up.

As its not a bootable or a system disk.

Take the cd and floppy out if theres anything there. And change the BIOS to the hdd, if its not set to the hdd. Thats if u can get into the BIOS

bubbyboy
13-12-2004, 10:30 AM
thats where the problem lays.
there is no disk in either drive.
its just won't boot.
it should boot, but it just won't.

Spacemannz
13-12-2004, 10:43 AM
What else is in the 98 PC?? Just the hdd u took out and a cd/dvd?

And are u sure the hdd is on ide 1?? not on the secondary ide connection? The same connection as a cd/dvd? And 2 ide devices arent set to master or slave?

george12
13-12-2004, 10:53 AM
Check for a misaligned pin on the IDE socket of the hard drive or motherboard. This could well be causing your problem.

PaulD
13-12-2004, 11:45 AM
Perhaps the instal on the XP machine has hosed the MBR info on the disk.
Read http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q69013/
Do you have a boot disk with FDISK on it?

bubbyboy
13-12-2004, 12:35 PM
yes, I have pone of those disks

bubbyboy
13-12-2004, 12:36 PM
I only took out the hdd. it is the only device connected to ide1.
the cd/dvd drive is on ide2.

Terry Porritt
13-12-2004, 12:46 PM
Well, maybe the IDE controller has failed coincidently, it is not an unknown thing to happen.

But have you checked that the hdd is listed as one of the boot devices in BIOS, as Spacemannz asked?

bubbyboy
13-12-2004, 01:06 PM
I can"t even get to the bios to check.

Spacemannz
13-12-2004, 01:13 PM
Try pressing Esc / F1 / F2, Delete key, or F10 as soon as the system boots

Did u try any of these keys??

It should say Press one of the above keys on the bootup screen, on post

bubbyboy
13-12-2004, 01:37 PM
f1 to reboot
f10 to load the setup menu, which after trying to reset to defaults still causes the same problems

Murray P
13-12-2004, 01:58 PM
You need to add your 98 hard drive to the boot devices list, I doubt it would work though because the MBR won't like something booting without it's say so.

If you want to throw another OS on a computer with an existing OS you need to add it to XP's boot.ini file or use a boot loader

Murray P
13-12-2004, 02:00 PM
Another thing is, it's generally accepted practice to install the older OS first, not last.

PaulD
13-12-2004, 02:27 PM
Nothing to do with dual booting. Drive was temporarily in an XP system as a slave now won't work as a boot drive in original pc. Drive can be seen from a boot disk. I would still try the command " fdisk /mbr " (without quotes) after booting from a floppy.

bubbyboy
13-12-2004, 06:36 PM
ok heres the story as at 6:34pm
I've been able to reinstall the win98 and it will boot from that. It has created a directory windows.0000 to do it. however it has run into so many more errors but it will boot up.
From talking to a couple of people it appears that the master boot record has either been corrupted or has been erased somehow. The original windows directory is still there, just that it won't boot into that one.

PaulD
13-12-2004, 07:29 PM
Did you even read the link provided?

george12
13-12-2004, 08:35 PM
If he did, I seriously think he might not have had to reinstall Windows.

Now you're in trouble bubbleboy, I doubt many apps will like Windows not being in \WINDOWS. You should have killed your old Windows folder first, or even better, listened to Pauls suggestion!

You could *try* renaming it to Windows, but I doubt Windows would like that. Might just have to install yet again.

bubbyboy
13-12-2004, 11:51 PM
yes I did read the article and yes I tried the fdisk /mbr command still with no luck. and that was BEFORE I tried reinstalling windows

george12
13-12-2004, 11:55 PM
Ah ok then.

Sorry about that, it just seemed that that would have fixed the problem had it been an Mbr problem.

In that case, I think what you might need to do is to delete both C:\WINDOWS and C:\WINDOWS.001 or whatever. Then reinstall Windows 98.

HTH Cheers George

george12
13-12-2004, 11:56 PM
Oh Oops!

Sorry, I called you 'bubbleboy' :D. Didn't mean it ;)

bubbyboy
14-12-2004, 12:10 AM
sweet as.

bubbyboy
14-12-2004, 12:24 AM
*cringes* types format c: followed by "y"

throws toys out of cot and goes to bed.................