PDA

View Full Version : Orcon vs Xtra - who's worse?



Greg S
12-12-2004, 03:08 PM
Since I've got onto Orcon's 256K bitstream plan my online game ping times have almost doubled on the popular servers I use. This is so ridiculous... my mates who use Xtra on their 256 have half the ping times I have! GRRRR

I can't help wondering if I should finally give up Orcon after four or so years - they've become as useless as Xtra in their helpdesk response!

Graham L
12-12-2004, 03:10 PM
:_|


NOT BLOODY AGAIN, PLEASE.


:_|

Growly
12-12-2004, 03:18 PM
Wahooo! Controversy!

Xtra.

willie_M
12-12-2004, 03:24 PM
It is fair to say that telecom(xtra)'s predative practices would lead them to sabotage the lines that they wholesale to ORCON to make one of their competitors (whom they have quality control over) look bad so as to make more people choose TELECOM.

Hang in there. It will get better.... once TELECOM get caught for their actions hopefully they will not pay their way out of it or go cryingto the govt to help them out like last time.

Boycott telecom.... its a theiving bastard of a predative monopoly....

stu120404
12-12-2004, 03:51 PM
Xtra Hands Down (worse)

Just hang in there Greg S Thing will get better as time goes by :), any way it is Xtra's/telecom Problem any way since telecom is not making life easy for Orcon, Like they said in there news latter early on in the month.

drb1
12-12-2004, 04:18 PM
Greg,

If your really unhappy with the orocon "Corporate"
GO Satalite.

Don't weaken and go back to TeleScam.

This is all part of the TeleScam monoply position abuse policy.

It must bite TeleScam eventually.

TeleScam can not be allowed to deney this country a reasonable trade Agreement with the US for ever.

D.

Baldy
12-12-2004, 06:28 PM
> Since I've got onto Orcon's 256K bitstream plan my
> online game ping times have almost doubled on the
> popular servers I use. This is so ridiculous... my
> mates who use Xtra on their 256 have half the ping
> times I have! GRRRR
>
> I can't help wondering if I should finally give up
> Orcon after four or so years - they've become as
> useless as Xtra in their helpdesk response!

Why the hell do you need Xtras help desk, when you have PressF1. Personally I have never had to ring Xtras help desk in over 3 years (apart from the first initial call to set my internet up)
Who cares who's the worst or the best or the plain mediocre. Its an individual choice

Baldy
12-12-2004, 06:34 PM
> It is fair to say that telecom(xtra)'s predative
> practices would lead them to sabotage the lines that
> they wholesale to ORCON to make one of their
> competitors (whom they have quality control over)
> look bad so as to make more people choose TELECOM.
>
> Hang in there. It will get better.... once TELECOM
> get caught for their actions hopefully they will not
> pay their way out of it or go cryingto the govt to
> help them out like last time.
>
> Boycott telecom.... its a theiving bastard of a
> predative monopoly....


Yeah and its comments like that, that get threads locked. I dunno, these type of rants are both boring and loathsome ~ pity you weren't a bit more factual instead of talking cobblers

drb1
12-12-2004, 07:37 PM
> > It is fair to say that telecom(xtra)'s predative
> > practices would lead them to sabotage the lines
> that
> > they wholesale to ORCON to make one of their
> > competitors (whom they have quality control over)
> > look bad so as to make more people choose TELECOM.
> >
> > Hang in there. It will get better.... once
> TELECOM
> > get caught for their actions hopefully they will
> not
> > pay their way out of it or go cryingto the govt to
> > help them out like last time.
> >
> > Boycott telecom.... its a theiving bastard of a
> > predative monopoly....
>
>
> Yeah and its comments like that, that get threads
> locked. I dunno, these type of rants are both boring
> and loathsome ~ pity you weren't a bit more factual
> instead of talking cobblers

Baldy,

TeleScam do things like that.

They make Telstra customers wait 10 working days for connection (When they have staff working in the street twice a week on average) then send three vans at 4.30 pm on friday so that they dont breach the agreement with the Commerce Commision.

I can provide docs and letters if you wish.

Would TeleScam sabotage Orocon?

At the speed of light if they can get away with it.

However TeleScam can not be a Bastard as "Entitys" are created at the Companies Office, not born from unwedden Mothers.

Baldy
12-12-2004, 09:05 PM
Get over it!

drb1
12-12-2004, 09:21 PM
> Get over it!
>

I have,

I have no TeleScam land line, I have no TeleScam mobile.

I will never forgive them, and I will Prortray them negatively, every legitmate chance I get, untill the day I die.

They crossed me, they pay.

They spend millions every year just to reinforce their sorry immage, and I am one who will ensure they have to keep spending that kind of money, just to keep the customers they still have.

If Orocon are getting it wrong, the market will punish them.

The way of the future is wireless, TeleScam do not rule in wirless.

D.

ninja
12-12-2004, 09:30 PM
> Get over it!

Greater people have tried.

Start up a thread on TradeMe and which him go ballistic.

drb1
12-12-2004, 09:48 PM
> > Get over it!
>
> Greater people have tried.
>
> Start up a thread on TradeMe and which him go
> ballistic.


But only if it has a factuall base and im in the mood for it,

The SCAMME lovers, and TeleScam slaves, GET so personall and upset when the Glaring faults with their heroes are pointed out.

Then they of course get very personall and nasty very quickly.

The Herd of victims can not tolerate any who present a different view or have done something to assert their own individuallaty.

The core fault of rugby racing and beer dinosaur New Zealand.

My son cut his fet on glass in the playground so yours must too, is the faulted logic of this typeset.

D.

Spout
12-12-2004, 11:10 PM
Wow! Another hate thread. With the usual cast of haters with nothing better to do than whine about big business.

Get a life, guys!

DOn't you see it's these hate threads that're making PF1 a sad, sad place.

Kenshin
12-12-2004, 11:27 PM
I totally agree with u Greg, the ping I have been getting is absolutely ridiculous as well..... and it has been like this for the past 2 months!! Worst yet, I haven't not even been upgraded to Bitstream yet!! My friend on 56k gets better ping than me ***!!

I like Orcon, I really do...but now they are really pissing me off ..... and when I rang them as usual they told me something about Telecom having to upgrade their line or something...and I don't even know if I should believe them or not .... it's always Telecom... according to them...

I really wish someone from Orcon and Telecom reads these posts and respond : 0

Growly
12-12-2004, 11:31 PM
Telecom is awesome. Just because they conned alot of money out of us doesn't make them predative, vicious, money hungry savages hell bent on nothing but greed and monopolisation, it makes them nice and jolly.

Infact, I want to give Telecom and all their assets a big hug. Right now.

george12
12-12-2004, 11:33 PM
I get decent ping times on Jetstream here.

But I'm moving to Telstra soon as I have arranged for a customized plan (2Mbit/2Mbit) to meet my serving needs, something which Telecom will not do.

Cable generally has much better ping times than ADSL I find.

Cheers George

Greg S
13-12-2004, 11:33 AM
> Wow! Another hate thread. With the usual cast of
> haters with nothing better to do than whine about big
> business.
>
> Get a life, guys!
>
> DOn't you see it's these hate threads that're making
> PF1 a sad, sad place.


Honestly it was never intended to be a hate thread. All I really wanted to know was if people on Xtra's 256k plan were also having similar ping issues.

The weird thing is that I get great download speeds, but it seems more than a coincidence that as soon as I went onto Bitstream my gaming pings went haywire. Me = confused.

My ***** about Orcon's and Xtra's helpdesk response was justified by a) Orcon still having their "1 minute" wait time garbage in their telephone response message, and b) Xtra advising of 30 minute wait times which is just as misleading

stu120404
13-12-2004, 11:39 AM
> I really wish someone from Orcon and Telecom reads
> these posts and respond : 0

You might be lucky to get some one from Orcon help desk to reply, but I am unsure since they have been very busy lately.

But Donít count on any one from Xtra/ Telecom to reply or this thread would turn in to a flame thread :p ;\

metla
13-12-2004, 11:49 AM
Greg,Whats your average ping to a NZ gaming server?

Greg S
13-12-2004, 11:54 AM
> Greg,Whats your average ping to a NZ gaming server?
>

Haven't played on a local server recently, but

300+ to Aus servers (used to be around 120)

400+ to USA West coast (used to be around 200)

metla
13-12-2004, 12:11 PM
hmm..


I get 100 to 200 for aussie servers,anywhere from 200 to 800 for anything further away.

NZ servers are in the 80 to 170 range.

Thats using Orcon, And from Wanganui which adds a few hundred KM of extra cable to travel.

No idea if its relevant.

Greg S
13-12-2004, 12:20 PM
> No idea if its relevant.

I think it is.

Considering that you're on the same plan I'm guessing the problem is with me. I think I'll uninstall/reinstall the games before I ***** anymore.

Cheers

drb1
13-12-2004, 01:38 PM
Growly,

Would that be like the hug and Kiss the mafia dons hand out, just before someone runs over you in a truck?

D.

george12
13-12-2004, 01:53 PM
I get the same ping times as Metla. I'm with Orcon but not Bitstream (2mbit/192k 10GB/mop plan "Jetstream Plus").

Billy T
13-12-2004, 01:55 PM
> Honestly it was never intended to be a hate thread.
> All I really wanted to know was if people on Xtra's
> 256k plan were also having similar ping issues.

I think the subject line could have been a bit more specific Greg, that would have kept the responses reasonably relevant to the issue you wanted to explore.

There are some things in life that are pretty much immutable for individuals, and getting sufficient people to act in concert to effect change is virtually impossible unless the issue capture the mind and heart of the "ordinary man."

That is the stuff that the anti-big business (or Telecom) brigade rail against, but IMHO it is futile to rant about it, they should either seek out another supplier or make peace with themselves over the compromise to their principles and simply learn to live with it.
Ranting on PF1 is pointless.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

God, give us grace to accept with serenity the things
that cannot be changed, courage to change the things
that can be changed, and the wisdom to distinguish one
from the other"

Reinhold Niebuhr
(American theologian, 1892-1971)

george12
13-12-2004, 02:00 PM
God, give us grace to accept with senenity the things that show our true age...

[/random]

drb1
13-12-2004, 02:07 PM
> That is the stuff that the anti-big business (or
> Telecom) brigade rail against, but IMHO it is futile
> to rant about it, they should either seek out another
> supplier or make peace with themselves over the
> compromise to their principles and simply learn to
> live with it.
> Ranting on PF1 is pointless.
>
> Cheers
>
> Billy 8-{)
>
> God, give us grace to accept with serenity the
> things
> that cannot be changed, courage to change the things
>
> that can be changed, and the wisdom to distinguish
> one
> from the other"
>
> Reinhold Niebuhr
> (American theologian, 1892-1971)
>

Having Sought and found another satisfactory supplier, why is it wrong to:

A advertise this.

B repay the enemy for his evil.

C support others in the difficulties with the evil's.

As long as one makes an honest attempt to avoid the members of the unconvincable flock, whom will become personall and nasty about it.

D.

Big John
13-12-2004, 03:41 PM
> The weird thing is that I get great download speeds,
> but it seems more than a coincidence that as soon as
> I went onto Bitstream my gaming pings went haywire.
> Me = confused.

Don't confuse ping times with download speeds. They are completely seperate issues. pings are how long it takes to send a query to another IP address and get a response back from that IP whatever may be on the end of it.
Downloads on the other hand usually are just streaming data so come through with very little response back and those responses are usually to say the datas okay or the data is corrupt in that on, send it again.

barmypom
13-12-2004, 06:15 PM
> Telecom is awesome. Just because they conned alot of
> money out of us doesn't make them predative, vicious,
> money hungry savages hell bent on nothing but greed
> and monopolisation, it makes them nice and jolly.
>
> Infact, I want to give Telecom and all their assets a
> big hug. Right now.


Growbag. Why do you think Telecom is so awesome? Do you work for them?
I've had nothing but trouble with them. Worst thing is I don't have much choice about supplier. One can't get away from Telecom...even if you have your internet through another provider, ultimately the quality of service is provided by Telecom.

Billy T
13-12-2004, 06:16 PM
> Having Sought and found another satisfactory
> supplier, why is it wrong to:
>
> A advertise this.
>
> B repay the enemy for his evil.
>
> C support others in the difficulties with the
> evil's.
>
> As long as one makes an honest attempt to avoid the
> members of the unconvincable flock, whom will become
> personal and nasty about it.
>
> D.

Actually D, I never said it was wrong.

In general principle that is how a healthy marketplace works, and I agree with you on all points except B, because that is an idle threat. All the individual can do is use other services and regrettably, in the midst of all the normal user churn that they experience, the disaffected few will depart unnoticed. You can repay nothing, at least not so long as you remain inside the law.

My point was that winging and wittering on about the evils of Telecom/Telstra/Ihug/Orcon/Woosh/Wired Country/Whoever does nothing to improve the performance of said company, or the mood of this forum. The emotive language used is simply laughable, and if said companies ever visted PF1 to check the collective mood, they would probably take away the choicest examples for their noticeboard to amuse their staff.

If you want to influence companies you have to do it the way you suggest, but without the emotive language.

There is nothing evil about Telecom, at least not within the plain english meaning of that word, they are simply a very big business with an unnatural monopoly and they work their assets to provide the best return for their shareholders. If you had money invested with them you would probably applaud their actions as those of astute businessmen.

Raging against the perceived or real inequities of that situation changes nothing.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :|

"It is said that, 'You can't change the world but you can
always change yourself.' So, if you start to change then
you have already begun changing the world."

E|im
13-12-2004, 06:20 PM
Greg I assume you're on the Bitstream plan? If you read their fineprint for providing bitstream you'll see they aren't obligated to provide the service at low latencies and they can have lots of packet loss.

barmypom
13-12-2004, 06:21 PM
> I like Orcon, I really do...but now they are really
> pissing me off ..... and when I rang them as usual
> they told me something about Telecom having to
> upgrade their line or something...and I don't even
> know if I should believe them or not .... it's always
> Telecom... according to them...
>
> I really wish someone from Orcon and Telecom reads
> these posts and respond : 0

I sympathise with you I really do.
You phone Orcon to complain and it's always a Telecom issue. You phone Telecom to complain and they don't want to know (they tell you to phone Orcon), apart from to tell you it's an Orcon problem.
I'd be perfectly happy to go with Xtra if they had some decent plans that suited me. Unfortunately they don't so I choose Orcon. I'm sure I'd never have any trouble if I was with Xtra. Being with a wholesale provider, whether it's Orcon or someone else, can really try your patience, so be prepared to ride the rough with the smooth.

drb1
13-12-2004, 07:31 PM
>
> In general principle that is how a healthy
> marketplace works, and I agree with you on all points
> except B, because that is an idle threat. All the
> individual can do is use other services and
> regrettably, in the midst of all the normal user
> churn that they experience, the disaffected few will
> depart unnoticed. You can repay nothing, at least
> not so long as you remain inside the law.
>


Billy,

Idel??

I have taken at least 15 people from xtra to other services this year all are satisfied.

If I had not have instigated the changes these people would still be TeleScam victims, some of them may have moved without my assistance. a fly in the ointment ammount but I am not the only one who does such.

TeleScam have brought back 3 mobile customers with 027 free phone deals these people only use their allocated ammount on TeleScam, and use vodaphone for the rest.

When the contract expires they will drop TeleScam again. and sell the TeleScam loss leader phones at a small profit.

In the end their will be full unbundelling, Its just very frustrating seeing the country as a whole suffer to feed TeleScam's profits.

If that is not an act of Evil what is??

D.
>

andrew93
13-12-2004, 07:52 PM
> I have no TeleScam land line, I have no TeleScam
> mobile.
>
> I will never forgive them, and I will Prortray them
> negatively, every legitmate chance I get, untill the
> day I die.
>
> They crossed me, they pay.

I'm curious drb1 as to how they crossed you such that you have such a negative opinion of Tele-com/scam. What happened?

Andrew

Greg S
13-12-2004, 07:57 PM
> Don't confuse ping times with download speeds. They
> are completely seperate issues.

State the obvious why don't you!:^O

drb1
13-12-2004, 08:20 PM
Andrew,

I have written it here before, They cost a company I was part of MILLIONS buy welching on a contract.

Their attitude "we dont care if were wrong you can't afford to sue us".

We did all the way to the court off Appeal, 3 time's, and 3 time's we won.

TELESCAM were just dragging it out to cost us, the Court of Appeall said this when they increased our judgment ammount, when we won the third Appeall.

Every day People lost jobs, and homes, Children had no Christmases, and went hungry.

Because TELESCAM broke the law, and welched on a legal contract, just to crib a little xtra, unnessecary profit.

Thats the kind of Regiem Therese Gattling-gun runs, That's the lowlife way TeleScam does business.

The had to break the law to crib that profit, and they did, because they are big enough to get away with it. Most of the time.

The detail is unnessecary and has been written here before, none of this is invented to justify.

I will never forget the smirk on the TeleScam exec's face when he told us we couldnt afford to sue them, or the look on his face after TeleScam lost the 3Rd appeal and had to pay out millions in compensation.

Problem being at the end of the day, the only ones who made anythig were of course, the Lawyer's.

GO Winston's team.

D.

andrew93
13-12-2004, 10:21 PM
Hi drb1
Sorry to hear that - I know understand. Was it a DB&M contract?
Andrew

andrew93
13-12-2004, 10:22 PM
D'Oh!
????Where is that edit button????
I now understand.
A

george12
13-12-2004, 10:38 PM
drb1,

I never knew what you had gone through. Now I no longer see your constant "Telescam" 'rants' as ranting, as I can see your pain.

Luckily TelstraClear are good :)

flotus
14-12-2004, 09:55 AM
drb1, having read what happened to your business (or the business you were part of) I can undestand now why you feel the way you do about Telecom. But, for Goodness sake, stop boring us with your continual rants! You had your day in court, they eventually got stung, feel bitter if you must, BUT, PLEASE STOP BORING US!

Biggles
14-12-2004, 12:24 PM
Okay, enough ranting on this subject. Specific criticism is one one thing, blanket and sweeping statements are another. Let's all move on shall we?