mr_rix
12-12-2004, 01:28 PM
Well,

I've just finished my Linux box:

Athlon 2800 Barton OC'd to 3200+
512mb Ram
80gb Maxtor HD
Legend FX5200 (yes, I know....)

But I've hit a brick wall, I can't get my modem working (no, it's not a Winmodem,) using the official Linux drivers for kernel 2.6 (I'm running Mandrake 10.1 Download) I can't get them to compile.

It says it can't find autoconf.h in the /lib/modules directory.

I did a fair bit of searching on the internet but found nothing on how to do it. I went to install packges, installed all of the 'Development' packages but it still doesn't work!

My modem is based on the Intel 536EP Chipset.

Graham L
12-12-2004, 02:04 PM
Have you actually done a kernel compilation? If not, you might need to do the configuration for one so all the .h files needed for module compilation are present.

In a console window, cd /usr/src/linux , then make oldconfig should do it. ("oldconfig" should make the files to suit the distribution kernel, unless things have been "improved" since I looked at this.) You dion't need to actually compile the kernel; you just need the files the config creates.

Prescott
12-12-2004, 02:12 PM
wow quite a system you have their just for linux :p are you going to play games on the linux box?, ive dual booted yoper and xp but have yet to try games on yoper.

mr_rix
12-12-2004, 04:53 PM
There's gonna be no gaming with a FX5200! :P It's a dual boot box, Mandrake and XP.

Graham, the only directory I have in /usr/src is RP< which has several subdirectories:

athlon
i386
i486
i586
i686
k6
noarch

Any ideas would be much appreciated!

mr_rix
12-12-2004, 05:01 PM
I dunno how that turned out to be bold!

I didn't even have the [ b ] [ / b ] tags!

Caesius
12-12-2004, 05:27 PM
So you're sure the kernel sources are not on your installation CD?

Graham L
13-12-2004, 03:01 PM
You should have the kernel sources on your CDs. There are a number to choose from. Look for the one whose name looks like that of the kernel you have installed. (uname -a).

The source RPMs are about 40MB.

mr_rix
13-12-2004, 07:11 PM
I found a file called 'kernel-i586-up-1GB-2.6.8.1.10mdk-1-1mdk.i586.rpm' but it's only 17 mb, I'm assuming thats is though, its the closest I could find.

Chilling_Silence
13-12-2004, 07:53 PM
Prescott:
Google for:
Cedega cvs howto
It'll give you all you need to be gaming in Linux!

Mr_Rix:
That's only a kernel - Not the kernel _sources_ which you are after.

Im not sure what Mandrake use but I know there's an application (drakconf?) that will allow you to install "groups" of software. You want to install the kernel development package group.

Chill.

Brian B
16-12-2004, 06:11 PM
I too have been trying to install the same type of modem (Intel 536ep chipset from DSE) onto my dual booting PC (Mandrake 9.2 + xp).

After encountering the same problem as mr_rix, a search on the net revealed some startling news - Mandrake 9.2's 3CD set did not include the kernel source!

Could it be that Mandrake still don't include the kernel source file on even their latest version? If that is so, it is time for a different distro - SuSe, Yoper, Fedora ?

Chilling_Silence
16-12-2004, 06:14 PM
Ark Linux ;-)

Graham L
16-12-2004, 06:20 PM
You can download only the source package you need from the Mandrake site, or from some mirrors. If you can easily get 40MB or so, I know it's in the UK universities mirror (http://mirror.ac.uk/).

Mandrake is fine ... I suppose there's a limit to the number of CDs you can expect people to have.

Brian B
16-12-2004, 07:01 PM
Thanks Graham L. Being on a dial up connection will mean a long download for me, I could try it in the wee hours.
Thanks for the link to mirror site.

Chilling_Silence
16-12-2004, 07:28 PM
Mandrake is fine ... I suppose there's a limit to the number of CDs you can expect people to have.

Apparently the Germans think otherwise, what with SuSE being on 7-8 CD's IIRC?!

Brian B
16-12-2004, 07:51 PM
Ark Linux?
IIRC?
chill@stellar chill $ ?

Vince
16-12-2004, 07:58 PM
I dunno how that turned out to be bold!

I didn't even have the [ b ] [ / b ] tags!

It doesn't show up as bold on my screen. Vince

Chilling_Silence
16-12-2004, 07:59 PM
Ark Linux is a great "home-user" distro that I really like and that is beginning to become more and more popular.

IIRC = If I Remember Correctly

The sig is just my Linux Bash prompt.... :-)

Brian B
16-12-2004, 08:28 PM
Cheers Chill. Is Ark available in nz on CDs, as I'm on dial-up.

Does anyone know if the 4CD Mandrake 10 release (DSE $5) has the kernel source code and headers included?

b1naryb0y
16-12-2004, 08:39 PM
The Mandrake 10 release that DSE are offering is the first 3 CDs of the Community edition and the 4th CD is Mandrake Move (Live Distribution).

From memory it is the 4th CD of the Community edition that contains the kernel source and headers.

Chilling_Silence
16-12-2004, 08:58 PM
Yeah Ive got it, all 4x CD's.

PM Me if you want it

See arklinux.org

Chill.

Graham L
17-12-2004, 11:24 AM
My set of Mandrake 10 has the 41MB file kernel-source-2.6[...etc] in the Mandrake/RPMS3 directory on CD3. (You can get XC4035 from Dick Smith, $4.95. Check the more page for a shop which has one)

Brian B
17-12-2004, 02:28 PM
Thanks everybody for the research and assistance. Especially Graham L for confirmation that Mandrake 10 includes the kernel-source file that is vital to the installation of my modem.

No stock available here (Masterton) but DSE Nelson has plenty, so my Dad who lives there will pick up a copy for me.

Brian B
22-12-2004, 06:25 PM
Mandrake 10 arrived from Nelson, I got the latest driver from the Dick Smith website, and followed the instructions to install.

And YES!!!!! I am writing this during my first session using the internet with Linux. Man does it feel good and soon I may be able to say goodbye to micro$oft permanently.

Thanks again to everyone who helped with this.

drb1
22-12-2004, 06:36 PM
Cheers Chill. Is Ark available in nz on CDs, as I'm on dial-up.

Does anyone know if the 4CD Mandrake 10 release (DSE $5) has the kernel source code and headers included?

The 9.2 DSE deal 3 c/d downlod set, 1 disk MDK move.

The early 10 was the same, I think they did more than one version of 10 at dse.

You have to go to mdk to get the rest and may need to be a member or paying in some way.

Mdk is a nice change over distro, but unless you pay anually you cant get into any of the mdk knowelegde base this is worse than M/S which has driven me away from MDK.

D.

Graham L
22-12-2004, 06:46 PM
Ahem, drb1 ... Didn't you notice? Brian has got the DSE Mandrake 10 CD set, and loaded the kernel sources from it. He has compiled the modem driver, and it works.

Mandrake are a commercial organisation. They sell service. RedHat are a commercial organisation who sell service. Suse ...

Most problems anyone gets are fixable with a bit of Googling or RTMing. That applies to all distributions. If you want your hand held to commercial standards, you have to pay for it.

Chilling_Silence
22-12-2004, 06:55 PM
Graham has a point, hence why there's so many different distro's with different support models.

I like Gentoo - All community-based support, and the Forums/IRC rock!
Others prefer a paid company to answer their emails or telephone calls.....

drb1
22-12-2004, 07:14 PM
Graham has a point, hence why there's so many different distro's with different support models.

I like Gentoo - All community-based support, and the Forums/IRC rock!
Others prefer a paid company to answer their emails or telephone calls.....

Not asking for a held hand to "commerciall standard".

Red hat you can get entry to the data/Knoweledge base with some restrictions for FREE,

M/Scam is same, Debian, knoweledge base entry ok susse same.

MDK nothing unless you pay, IT didnt used to be like that.

Acess to the Knoweledge base, and support are two different things.

Free support, why should MDK supply? I agree, Why?

Locking non Financial members out of the Knoweledge Base for ALL MDk products?????? Especially as you have to buy a FPP or a full years Subscription.

You can no longer pay monthly subscription.

I would like to know if DSE are fully funding the MDK loss leader, or if MDK are assisting fundig to increase MDK subscription's.

A little like the"Intell inside" Promo.

D.