PDA

View Full Version : Linux Fedora Core 3

Antonia
12-12-2004, 01:24 PM
I have Fedora core 3 installed and running. I love it.

Ashley Matthews
12-12-2004, 01:28 PM
Good on you.

noone
12-12-2004, 01:30 PM
yay

Chilling_Silence
12-12-2004, 01:39 PM
Does FC3 come with Yum or the likes yet OOTB?

Jen C
12-12-2004, 02:11 PM
> Does FC3 come with Yum or the likes yet OOTB?

Fedora does come with Yum, but you can install apt-get and synpatic and use this as well :D
If Yum is your preference, then they have a GUI frontend for it as well called GYUM.

I've got FC3 running on my mainbox now as well, and it is great!

This FC3 installation/post-installation guide link was posted here by someone else recently and it is well worth reading - Fedora Core 3 Installation Notes (http://fedoranews.org/contributors/stanton_finley/fc3_note/). I got all my plugins and multi-media stuff sorted out in half the time it ususally takes me by following their links/suggestions. :)

Ashley Matthews
12-12-2004, 02:19 PM
Jen,

I thought a PenguinHead like yourself would use a hardcore distro, like Gentoo, Debian or Slackware.....

Jen C
12-12-2004, 02:28 PM
> Jen,
>
> I thought a PenguinHead like yourself would use a
> hardcore distro, like Gentoo, Debian or
> Slackware.....

LOL :D

I actually do run Gentoo here as well - the whole shooting box compiled completely from source using a stage1 install :p

Currently I have installed FC3 for my main distro, and Gentoo, SuSE 9.1 (free Ed) and FC3 test 2 release, and Yoper for my spare machine. I have Slack 10 here as well but haven't got around to installing it yet.

I'm keeping FC3 on my mainbox at the moment, because I need something that is versatile, easy to maintain and does everything I need it to. I need a continously working box in otherwords :D I did seriously consider Gentoo as my main distro, but didn't want to take the down period to install it. Might change my mind at a later date.

The spare machine gets regularly abused from my creative tinkering with various Linux Distro's, and does not matter if it has down time ...

Graham L
12-12-2004, 02:40 PM
Most people shouldn't ever need to compile a kernel. Distribution kernels are done by experts, and have modules for just about everything that's usable. That's to make it easy to install and use.:O

After all, an OS is a programme loader so you can dothings with the computer. Sometimes you can actually do useful things with a computer, but that's not compulsory. ;-)

kiwirik2001
12-12-2004, 03:26 PM
I've been running Fedora since last xmas having gotten tired of Windows stability issues and virus problems. Have had not crashes nor virus' in 12 months. Just upgraded to FC3 and bought the distro disks through www.fishpond.co.nz for about $20. One of the disks was corrupted so they sent a replacement immediately.

Linux is not hard and really stable. There is only 1 thing I miss - zone.com for webcentric games. Otherwise things are sweet. I would recommend FC3 or Linux in general to anyone looking for a stable platform that never crashes. Sure its a steep learning curve if you want, but otherwise its all working out of the box.

I also run it on my old laptop because it is easier on the batteries than windows. Extends the life about 20% at least.

And I am taking an old 200 hz box, going to turni it into a router using a linux distro called clarkconnect and run a wifi network. And I still consider myself a newbie. But I am slowly learning.

Chilling_Silence
12-12-2004, 03:47 PM
See I would debate that statement:

Most users of generic distro's wouldnt need to compile a kernel.

However I wouldnt install a distro without compiling a kernel, mostly because I _am_ a gentoo user ;-)

Graham L
12-12-2004, 03:51 PM
Most users who compile a kernel will finish up with a system which doesn't work. Most users won't read instructions --- they think "it's easy".

beama
12-12-2004, 03:58 PM
Sorry Im little behind the rest of you I have just installed Core 2 on my
Dual boot laptop (xppro and fc2) with Wine so I can use my windows apps as well, I know cheating.
I have just finshed installing and configuring my linmodem (Lin under linux..... win under windows) guess its working as Iīm here.
I also have a dual boot desktop FC2 and Debain (text mode as Debain dropped support in X for the video card in this release).
I havenīt had this much fun since I discovered DOS

Caesius
12-12-2004, 05:42 PM
I agree Chill; a GENERIC kernel must support a wide range of hardware - why support SCSI, EISA or any of the other hardware that most GENERIC kernels must support if you don't have it?

Shaun Minfie
12-12-2004, 07:29 PM
Yeah that guide is great.

The only reason I have XP on here still is for games.

Synaptic is great. For now I'm using the Fresh rpms packages. Livna have yet to publish packages for Fedora 3.